A Jeep is Never Finished - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Jeep is Never Finished

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #136
MySundayShirt
A Jeep is Never Finished

2012 JK Wrangler 

Pictures coming soon. I do have a few decisions coming up that I could use some input on. After I got the estimate back from the damage I was shocked for how much a fender is going for. Parts guy said they are rare (OEM) and aftermarket ones wouldn't match up well. He found 1 fender available for $1,025.00.

1. I have a 98 TJ. I found one locally for sale from an 04 Rubicon. I picked it up for $200.00. Everything prior to me purchasing said it would fit. Was this a mistake or should I be good?

2. I have to take off my rocker guard due to the front bolt that mounts to the fender which means drilling out 15 rivets and removing the cage nut bracket that is positioned on the inside of the tub where I had to drill a 1 inch hole. Do you think the fender could be slid behind the rocker guard if I just take the front bolt off? It would save me having to drill the rivets and metal shavings all in my hair and down my bra...LOL Yeah, I know boo-hoo such a concern...still not cool.

3. Fingers crossed the fender I bought works...I'll have a decent amount left over from the extra plus labor on various other areas I'll save doing some myself. I'm going to get a new set of wheels & tires!!!! I'm excited about this the most. I currently am running 33s but would love 37s...I'm settling for 35s since it's turning into being my daily driver. I need help in this area most. I'm not familiar with tires...at all. Wheels I am thinking 15 or 16s? 8s or 10s? Back in the day I wanted all black but I'm liking the machined style rims now. So many decisions!

4. My concern is currently not having enough clearance for 35s. What else would need to be adjusted/updated to support 35? Something to do with the speedometer (forget what that is called). 4" minimal lift I've read somewhere too. ???

5. One of my fender flares broke and I ended up getting comped enough to actually get an entire new set of flares! Yay! I have been looking to do that of awhile...thank you Mr. Man who decided to put your car in my way. I'm getting rid of the pocket style flares. I am loving the Bushwacker flat style flares and am 85% ready to buy them. Have any experience with them on why I shouldn't?

MySundayShirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #137
janesy86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Always love when an not at fault accident leads to jeep parts when no one involved is hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySundayShirt View Post
1. I have a 98 TJ. I found one locally for sale from an 04 Rubicon. I picked it up for $200.00. Everything prior to me purchasing said it would fit. Was this a mistake or should I be good?

You're good. Any fender from '98 to '06 are all going to be the same.

2. I have to take off my rocker guard due to the front bolt that mounts to the fender which means drilling out 15 rivets and removing the cage nut bracket that is positioned on the inside of the tub where I had to drill a 1 inch hole. Do you think the fender could be slid behind the rocker guard if I just take the front bolt off? It would save me having to drill the rivets and metal shavings all in my hair and down my bra...LOL Yeah, I know boo-hoo such a concern...still not cool.

I'd think you could leave the rockers in place, just unbolt that one that attaches to the fender, should be able to slide it out.

3. Fingers crossed the fender I bought works...I'll have a decent amount left over from the extra plus labor on various other areas I'll save doing some myself. I'm going to get a new set of wheels & tires!!!! I'm excited about this the most. I currently am running 33s but would love 37s...I'm settling for 35s since it's turning into being my daily driver. I need help in this area most. I'm not familiar with tires...at all. Wheels I am thinking 15 or 16s? 8s or 10s? Back in the day I wanted all black but I'm liking the machined style rims now. So many decisions!

Just keep in mind with 35's+ the other upgrades that are a good idea of having in place before hand, especially if taking offroad... Such as better brakes, HD steering, beefier axle shafts, gearing, etc.. It can be done without but certainly not recommended unless a pavement princess.

Certainly not telling you to not get 35's, but when getting started out with jeeping, 33's are more than adequate and let you learn your rig and upgrade as you go. Plus as a DD 33's will be much more forgiving on gas and whatnot. Tires for 15" wheels are usually cheaper and for most 8" wheel would be the go to.

4. My concern is currently not having enough clearance for 35s. What else would need to be adjusted/updated to support 35? Something to do with the speedometer (forget what that is called). 4" minimal lift I've read somewhere too. ???

Listed above.

5. One of my fender flares broke and I ended up getting comped enough to actually get an entire new set of flares! Yay! I have been looking to do that of awhile...thank you Mr. Man who decided to put your car in my way. I'm getting rid of the pocket style flares. I am loving the Bushwacker flat style flares and am 85% ready to buy them. Have any experience with them on why I shouldn't?

No experience myself, but if you like em, go for it!

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #138
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I run the Xenon 4" flat flares in the rear, they beat the crap out of Bushcracker pocket style flare, and are similar to Bushwacker flat style flares. Short of getting high lines/Metal Cloaks or something similar, my next choice would be the flat flares up front too.

I have two stock front fenders in my garage, with Rubicon flares, I guess I should put them up for sale based on the price you were quoted.

Like stated above there's a whole lot more to 35's than just buying tires. I'm upgrading everything that needs to be upgraded for 35's, then I'll get them.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #139
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

1. I would have gone with after market fenders for that price but what you bought should fit.

2. I sat under my jeep this weekend and did exactly what you are talking about. Full face visor and covered the rest of me in a fire proof tarp. But you can just slide the new fender in, I wouldnt go through the trouble for that.

3. This sounds like insurance fraud to me. And in my state, you have to get damage like this corrected by a shop or the vehicle gets a black mark on its record. I am not trying to scare you but you might want to check into whether you can do the work or not. I am all about not paying someone else to do the stuff you can do but since insurance involve.
I run 16s and have found that it is a lot more rare than 15s or 17s. Pick your tire selection first and wheels follow.

4. A highline set of fenders would be REALLY nice here. 4" is not needed. 3" should get you set on 35s and stock fenders. I run my 35s with about 2" of lift and highlined fenders.

5. All bushwacker flares look dumb to me. So aesthetics is the reason I wouldnt run them... But no one agrees with my aesthetics.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #140
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If the insurance company cuts her a check to do what she wants, it's not fraud. I was cut a check when they couldn't find me a stock hard top, to replace mine. They basically said "good luck".

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #141
MySundayShirt
A Jeep is Never Finished

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I run the Xenon 4" flat flares in the rear, they beat the crap out of Bushcracker pocket style flare, and are similar to Bushwacker flat style flares. Short of getting high lines/Metal Cloaks or something similar, my next choice would be the flat flares up front too.

I have two stock front fenders in my garage, with Rubicon flares, I guess I should put them up for sale based on the price you were quoted.

Like stated above there's a whole lot more to 35's than just buying tires. I'm upgrading everything that needs to be upgraded for 35's, then I'll get them.
I don't think I would pass our state inspection with 4" flares. I saw the Xenon ones when researching the Bushwacker ones. I'm over the pocket style look (came with it) and saw them in person the other day and fell in love with them even more. Are the Xenon ones tougher and not as brittle? I only read one review where someone said the Bushwackers were brittle and lots others who loved them.

Wish I knew you had stock fenders laying around...I would have bought the one I needed from you! What did you replace them with?
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #142
MySundayShirt
A Jeep is Never Finished

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
1. I would have gone with after market fenders for that price but what you bought should fit.

2. I sat under my jeep this weekend and did exactly what you are talking about. Full face visor and covered the rest of me in a fire proof tarp. But you can just slide the new fender in, I wouldnt go through the trouble for that.

3. This sounds like insurance fraud to me. And in my state, you have to get damage like this corrected by a shop or the vehicle gets a black mark on its record. I am not trying to scare you but you might want to check into whether you can do the work or not. I am all about not paying someone else to do the stuff you can do but since insurance involve.
I run 16s and have found that it is a lot more rare than 15s or 17s. Pick your tire selection first and wheels follow.

4. A highline set of fenders would be REALLY nice here. 4" is not needed. 3" should get you set on 35s and stock fenders. I run my 35s with about 2" of lift and highlined fenders.

5. All bushwacker flares look dumb to me. So aesthetics is the reason I wouldnt run them... But no one agrees with my aesthetics.
Mechanic said something about the aftermarket flares are one solid welded piece? I didn't spend anytime looking into it...probably should have. I feel better knowing this one should work out good.

My only issue with this is, I don't think it is legal to drive it to the body shop without a fender on. I'd hate to take it there to find out they had to take it off anyways and I pay for labor that I could have done. hmmm...what to do what to do.

Fraud???!!! Who you calling....I'm kidding. But no, most insurance companies give you options now. I could pick one of their preferred shops, pick my own but take it to an approved place to get one of their peeps to do the estimate, or like I chose...have them do the estimate, and take care of setting up everything myself.

16s are rare? 15s aren't?

The guy I bought my fender from switched to highlines. My first time actually see in them in person. He had 37s though. It looked amazing. Even with 37s it seems like there would be a lot of empty space on anything less. Those seem like they would be for the extremist.

Are you saying even the flat style ones you don't like or just the bulky pocket style ones?
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #143
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think I would pass our state inspection with 4" flares. I saw the Xenon ones when researching the Bushwacker ones. I'm over the pocket style look (came with it) and saw them in person the other day and fell in love with them even more. Are the Xenon ones tougher and not as brittle? I only read one review where someone said the Bushwackers were brittle and lots others who loved them.

Wish I knew you had stock fenders laying around...I would have bought the one I needed from you! What did you replace them with?
My rear Xenon's are very flexible.

The fronts were replaced with Metal Cloak Overlines.

The Bushwacker pocket flares are brittle, but I believe their flatties are pretty much just like the Xenon's. I got my Xenon's on Amazon....that was the cheapest I could find them. I think they come in the 4" and the 6" variety.

Unread 03-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #144
MySundayShirt
A Jeep is Never Finished

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Always love when an not at fault accident leads to jeep parts when no one involved is hurt!
There are a few shops around here who sell lift kit packages but I'm sure they are over priced and not as quality brands most would pick if you were doing it yourself. That's my ambition rushing it side vs researching and doing it step by step.

By your tag and your pic, you run highline fenders How do you like them? Did you cut your hood yourself? Do they come with a template?
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #145
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have yet to see a shop that DOESN'T sell overpriced crap lifts

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #146
MySundayShirt
A Jeep is Never Finished

2012 JK Wrangler 

I could just say I slammed into a boulder...right? wrecked1.jpg
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #147
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I could just say I slammed into a boulder...right?
I'm surprised the fender is all that was hurt.

Unread 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #148
MySundayShirt
A Jeep is Never Finished

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I'm surprised the fender is all that was hurt.
The tire took most of the impact. It hit him hard enough to roll his steel bumper under pretty bad. The corner of my bumper sliced down his quarter panel pretty bad. It barely got scuffed and held up amazing. No bending at all. The estimator was surprised too there wasn't any contact with the grill or hood.
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #149
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

With the tire taking a hit I hope they checked your suspension, alignment, and even the tire....having a belt let go at hwy speed would be an unwelcome "hello".

Unread 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #150
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd vote for a 15X8" wheel with a 4" backspacing and 33's for decent DD duty. With 4" BS you should be able to get away with 4" of flare. 6" flares look like airplane wings, IMO.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.