Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep JK Highschool Audio Build

4K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  someschoolkid 
#1 ·
Jeep JK Highschool Audio Install

This isn't a rock crawler build. It's for a pair of 12s, just a mild sound system upgrade :D

Ride height before

Volt meter, reads from the inputs on the amp

Bass knob

Run of 1/0 to the back

Ground for the rear

Added 1 more ground

Hey, copper posts on a stock alternator. Not too shabby!

Old vs new charging wire

(in a Nigel Thornberry voice) A relative of the common zip tie, bailing wire can be extremely effective in tieing items out of the way

Got wires cut for the amp

Batteries wired up

Tada!

For my box

I don't care what anyone says. This stuff works great

To screw in the subs

See less See more
#2 ·

Lost the box of screws lol. Gotta make do with what ya got

In the back, taking it home from my friends house. More work to be done tomorrow

Had to blow the dust off my friend's car lol

Dual inputs for the amp (Crescendo BC3500)

These should do pretty well in terms of keeping the bottom of the amp up off the bedliner

Cheap yet effective 'feet'

After. Not bad for 350lbs of extra weight in the back

#10 ·
Pretty much all of us on this forum have or have plans of lift kits and big tires on our Jeeps. So basically we're all "hicks" to you. Definatly the wrong forum if your just going to come in here with a loud system with no other plans.

A lot of us also have subs, even myself for example...but when you go big here you get a lot of hate from other people who think their stupid. You've just got to ignore them...don't try to start a big argument. And just by these first few posts I've seen by you you seem completely out of place here.

#12 ·
Pretty much all of us on this forum have or have plans of lift kits and big tires on our Jeeps. So basically we're all "hicks" to you. Definatly the wrong forum if your just going to come in here with a loud system with no other plans.

A lot of us also have subs, even myself for example...but when you go big here you get a lot of hate from other people who think their stupid. You've just got to ignore them...don't try to start a big argument. And just by these first few posts I've seen by you you seem completely out of place here.
:cheers2:

Agreed.

#11 ·
That's a decently built box I'll admit. I do like the cornered edges, I'm sure it helps it you ever hit a corner.

You won't see too much love for subs and bass on this site as most people here are judgmental farts that have nothing better to do. I say it's your jeep, and if you are happy with it, that's all that matters. If people have negative things to say, just take it with a grain of salt and move on. It just shows how ignorant and dumb people are when they have nothing good to say about other people's work, you shouldn't stoop to their level.

To all the haters, this is coming from a driver of a TJ that use to put over 2000 RMS watts, could rattle drivers' heads from a car 3 lengths in front of me, and a rig that is sitting on 37's with hardcore trail use. So to each there own, and if you don't like what people have done to their own rig, move on to the next post. If you have something negative to say then STFU anyway.

#15 ·
Why are people *****ing about his system? The title says, "Audio install." Not "JK build"... It literally says, "This isn't a rock crawler build. It's for a pair of 12s, just a mild sound system upgrade." You had to know that it wasnt going to be a regular build post. Jeeps are badass vehicles, which is probably why HE bought one, with HIS money. He didnt buy one with YOUR money so dont be pricks because he has a different taste than you.

Its awesome to have a sound system that you can say you put it together yourself. Just like its cool so say you put your lift kit, roof rack, cage, etc, on yourself. Plus, when someone throws a party, who do you think theyre going to call when they need some serious power... that guy with a Jeep and a *****in system, not the guy with big *** tires. Now, I'm not knocking people with big *** tires (I want those as well), but different people like different things

To OP, nice system. At first i was like WTF does this dude need four batteries for, then i kept reading...lol.

Oh yea, lets not try and fit 350lbs in the back of a 400lb vehicle : )

#16 ·
Very nice work OP. I haven't pushed 3000W since highschool, but I have plans for two 15's somewhere in that neighborhood in the near future :D

#18 ·
I like it. The extra batteries look mean! What'd you do for speakers? Must be hard to hear stockers over that bass. Just be careful making changes that can't be undone. When I was in highschool, I had a kicker l7 that bumped in the back of my Tj (mostly because my brother worked for Circuit City and got it for 70% off). When I got to college, I stopped caring and got tired of having to take it out when I wanted to take the top down. So I sold it and spent the money on a bumper and full size spare. Conclusion: One day you might find it annoying for some reason or another, so make sure you don't drill big holes in the car Etc that look terrible when you take the stuff out.

#20 ·
Thanks guys!
Sorry for the rude comments earlier. I was having a bad day lol. I <3 lifted jeeps, but this one doesn't see enough offroad to justify any sort of suspension/drivetrain/tire size/lighting modification. It gets me through the snow and drives nice. That's about all I need it to do :D

And TacticalJeeper - It's just a pair of 12s. How does it devalue anything? When it comes time to sell, I pull out the box, unhook the wires, take out everything and it's back to 100% stock. It's not like I go around playing full blast at stoplights or neighborhoods or something

#22 ·
Lol it's just Jeepforum man. You post a cool project, 10 people **** on you about how crappy it is, and then one guy types a meaningful response that tends to even out the thread. Let the 10 people slide.

I think the box is pretty sweet. Nice job doing this yourself! I had two 12's in my old cherokee when I was in highschool and LOVED it!

However, one warning. The bass will probably break the tailgate latch over time and generally start to loosen up nuts and bolts around the jeep. So just keep your eye on things..such as nuts and screws for hard/softtop, panels, etc.

Enjoy!

#21 ·
Nice to see a well done audio build. I've got 2 Digital Design's 9500 series 15's in mine, 9 cubes, tunred to 30hz, On 6,000 watts... Maybe 4500 real wattage. Ugly as sin, but I threw it all together in less than 12 hours for a competition. Next build will be a Zcon 18" woofer, and 2 sundown 3500s powering it. We'll see how that one goes.

#26 ·
Cool craftsmanship. Hate wasting money on audio like that seeing as I know Wrangler sound systems are damn loud enough unless you want to throw a rave or something.

Other than that I hate it. Hate people who have the bass cranked up.

#27 ·
Very nice setup man. I used to be deep in the audio game. Had 2 15s with a fully molded box setup for the back of my 4runner, only was running around 4000 watts for those big guys. It bumped for sure. Wish I still had pics of it. When I was getting away from all that, I went down to 2 10s and got rid of the molded box that took up all my truck space.

Now I have my Jeep and have no space for a sub :(. Jealous man. They sound good, **** the haters.

#30 ·
Its all good man, we all have those days. And I guess I should clarify what I said as well. I have nothing against your build, it was just your attitude that stuck out to me. I've got two 15's myself, so I can appreciate all the hard work you've put in so far. Hopefully this build turns out good, I'll be following it.

#29 ·
I can appreciate what you did there. I built competitive systems in the past (way back when Rockford Fosgate was "punch" and Memphis was cool). Real nice work on the box, when most would have just drilled a pass through hole.

I probably would not have put it in a JK though. Our Wranglers are not the most secure vehicles.

Constructive Crit ~ get a good head unit where you can loose the AUX cables for the Ipod/Iphone/MP3.

#31 ·
Quick update: Decided to do a bit of bracing on the inner port wall

It's my first time working with fiberglass mat, so I'd be open to feedback on it. The only stuff I have done prior is self-leveling 45s

This stuff is awesome. It's called Knytex Tape. It's woven on one side, random on the other. It's thick as sh*t and even sunlight doesn't shine through.

#34 ·
I am surprised nobody has commented on your battery set up, that is a great Idea for setting up Aux battery system for running all sorts of accessories.

Did you upgrade the alternator, and what size where the 4 extra batteries under the seat?

Build it for what you want it to do, not what everybody thinks it should do.

Nick.

#36 ·
Not my thing at all but I like the build on that box. Looks solid and I'm sure that system slams. This "hick" will tell you to ignore the haters and do what you want with your rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.