Jeep CJ5 Electric - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 152 Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 PM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

It is the future, motor, controllers and especially batteries have advanced so much that it is viable on many classic vehicles to convert them to get better performance and more reliability. The benefit of quiet running and high torque at all engine speeds is also great, and it will work at all angles and can easily be made waterproof.

Wheeler Dealers converted a Maserati Biturbo and test drove an electric VW bus, looked like developed technology. Using the original clutch and transmission made it fairly straightforward, though they did struggle with locations for all the batteries.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

A little cleaning in my garage. I fixed the frame to the ceiling and I will make me a table to do my tests with my engine and my transmission before installing everything in the frame.

Jeep CJ5 1975 100% Electric

- Build thread in Jeep Build section
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- My web site (French):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

What electric motor (Traction Motor?) and controller did you buy?

Here is a nice 800KW unit:

post #34 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

The engine is a GE 11'' DC motor. The specs are similar to the Warp 11" which is one of the most common engines in electric vehicule conversion.

For more info: http://www.evsource.com/tls_warp11.php

:

- My web site (French):
post #35 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wow, $3,500.00

post #36 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Wow, $3,500.00
The one I buy is used.

I have a budget of + or - $10,000 for my project. If I really want to do it seriously I have to invest.

--------------------------------

I modified a Jeep YJ 1990 in 2004. I invest at least $15,000 to $20,000.

My Photobucket: http://s693.photobucket.com/user/Ben...?sort=6&page=1

In the beginning:

At the end:

:

- My web site (French):
post #37 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well obviously, this isn't your first rodeo...

I like YJ to CJ conversions.

post #38 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 01:08 PM
DutchJPR
1986 CJ7 

Nice project, subscribed!

There is a Dutch company called NewElectric who did a CJ5 a couple of years ago. For your inspiration a couple links.

http://gas2.org/2014/11/06/classic-j...rted-electric/
https://youtu.be/saK3C4lriXg
http://www.terrein.nu/Actualiteit/El...r-New-Electric
http://www.newelectric.nl/nl/voertuigen/

Most of it is in Dutch, but nothing what Google translate can't solve. :-)

Dutch builds: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dutch-build-1231816/
post #39 of 152 Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 PM
jimeyster

Nice project! Looking forward to more.
post #40 of 152 Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post

Most of it is in Dutch, but nothing what Google translate can't solve. :-)
It's so true. All the texts I write here are in French. I use google translation. Technology often makes us cringe but also has the incredible ability, when it is well done, to better help us understand each other and helps us live together.

:

- My web site (French):
post #41 of 152 Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Your google translator is working very well.
I never suspected any translation oddities.

post #42 of 152 Old 02-18-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Your google translator is working very well.
I never suspected any translation oddities.
I can not just trust Google. A language is much more than words. We must think in the language we speak. I was a truck driver and I did a lot of long distance across Canada. My English is not bad. It's more at the spelling level and google is exellent on this. But I often have to rebuild sentences so that they make sense in English.

I'm sure the same is true for English to French.

:

- My web site (French):
post #43 of 152 Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Bye! Bye V8

:

- My web site (French):
post #44 of 152 Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Waiting for my electric motor.

In the meantime I prepare myself by building a support to do the tests on the new engine and the transmission.

:

- My web site (French):
post #45 of 152 Old 02-24-2017, 02:58 PM
danielbuck
1946 CJ2 

I've not ready through any electric conversions, but what all is needed to do this? Once you have the motor, and get it properly mounted to the transmission, do you just need a whole bunch of batteries and a throttle linkage to some sort of rheostat switch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.