Jeep CJ5 Electric - JeepForum.com
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Jeep CJ5 Electric

I decided to convert a 1975 jeep CJ5 to 100% electric.

First I have to do restorations on the jeep. He is more than 40 years old.

Jeep CJ5 1975 100% Electric

- Build thread in Jeep Build section
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- My web site (French):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 06:25 PM
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Why?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
post #3 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 06:48 PM
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFiGuy View Post
Why?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
100% torque at any RPM.....
Its a rock crawlers wet dream.

Ill be following this.

post #4 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 06:51 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
100% torque at any RPM.....
Its a rock crawlers wet dream.

Ill be following this.
Unless you are running around your own property, it sounds like "I ran out of charge and my friends had to tow the heavy pig back". If you want it for economy it might be one thing. If you want torque, install a diesel.
post #5 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post

Unless you are running around your own property, it sounds like "I ran out of charge and my friends had to tow the heavy pig back". If you want it for economy it might be one thing. If you want torque, install a diesel.
Stinking, rattling diesels out in the woods aint my thing. If one shows up to wheel with us, they have to be at the end of the line. And a new guy gets stuck being in front of them. Lol

On an average trip, we do about 10-15 miles. I burn about 10 gallons of gas, depending on terrain.
I think it could work.
post #6 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Stinking, rattling diesels out in the woods aint my thing. If one shows up to wheel with us, they have to be at the end of the line. And a new guy gets stuck being in front of them. Lol

On an average trip, we do about 10-15 miles. I burn about 10 gallons of gas, depending on terrain.
I think it could work.
Anything can work but you are talking many hundreds of pounds of batteries. Batteries are not cheap and they age. A good gas of diesel motor lasts many years and if you do not use it, it does not degrade like electric batteries will. If it is what you want, more power to you. I like the security of knowing that I can carry 5 gallons of fuel as a reserve for my 20 gallon tank and I will be able to make it back to the road even after a long day.
post #7 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 09:51 PM
CSP

There was an old Land Rover in Moab EJS several years ago that was all electric. It was super cool and just made a humming noise. He ran all day on Hell's Revenge when I saw it.
WisWrangler likes this.
post #8 of 153 Old 01-07-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

I do not want to start a debate on ecology. I chose to make an electric jeep for the challenge.

It is not my first jeep that I restore and I would say that at least 75% of my pleasure is to disassemble de jeep and modify it.

Here is the adess of my website: http://www.blafleur.net/benjeep/html/liens.html

At the bottom of this page there are videos of jeep that have been converted 100% electric. I would like to do something that resembles the CJ7

Jeep CJ5 1975 100% Electric

- Build thread in Jeep Build section
:

- My web site (French):
post #9 of 153 Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben-jeep View Post
I do not want to start a debate on ecology. I chose to make an electric jeep for the challenge.
I love the idea of electric vehicles. But I think the resistance here has to do with the fact that the CJ is extremely heavy, but has very little storage. That link you had of someone with an Electric CJ5- it was a fiberglass body on a VW chassis, and he still had to charge it at every short trip.

You would probably need 30 deep cycle batteries, distributed evenly. An easy shortcut would be to mount the DC motor directly to the trans input shaft. But having all that running gear would take up lots of space where the batteries would need to go.

I guess its the age-old argument. How much are you willing to throw at it? Lots of $500 conversions/guides on the internet using basic motors, controllers, and lead-acid batteries. But that might not be usable. However,
with a custom, ultra light chassis, lithium batteries, etc, sure that would work pretty fantastic.
heyseg likes this.
post #10 of 153 Old 01-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Chrisfol82
1984 CJ7 

Will be interesting to see, good luck with it, ill be following along.
Eddiewoodard likes this.
post #11 of 153 Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 PM
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

l am all in on this. I have also wanted to do this. I am in the battery market sector (Li-Ion) and I think this is a fantastic application particularly rock crawler for the reason Skiz Riz pointed out of 100% torque at any rpm. You will not need near as much battery as a Volt/Leaf/Tesla as you really don't need the range or speed of these vehicles. I am curious of your choice of motor and number. It may may make sense to go with hub motors at each wheel but I have not found any that were durable / cost efficient. I think it definitely makes sense to go Li-Ion as I think you could go with about 12 kWh and probably keep the weight under 1,000 Lbs.
post #12 of 153 Old 01-07-2017, 07:16 PM
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDZ71 View Post
l am all in on this. I have also wanted to do this. I am in the battery market sector (Li-Ion) and I think this is a fantastic application particularly rock crawler for the reason Skiz Riz pointed out of 100% torque at any rpm. You will not need near as much battery as a Volt/Leaf/Tesla as you really don't need the range or speed of these vehicles. I am curious of your choice of motor and number. It may may make sense to go with hub motors at each wheel but I have not found any that were durable / cost efficient. I think it definitely makes sense to go Li-Ion as I think you could go with about 12 kWh and probably keep the weight under 1,000 Lbs.
My thought on how to do it simply, would just be the electric motor coupled to a manual transmission and transfer case. That way you could pick the optimal RPM range for the motor to work in while crawling. Being able to lay out the batteries for weight bias would be a big plus in a crawler.

I'm definitely fascinated by this project, and can't wait to see it unfold.
post #13 of 153 Old 01-07-2017, 08:28 PM
kennyb001
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Interesting project. Looking forward to see how this goes. Good luck.

Kenny B.
1979 CJ7 AMC 304 Quadra Trac
2014 Ampd JKU
post #14 of 153 Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 PM
STJP
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Ignore the naysayers. Seems they missed the fact that you were not asking for their opinions. Wonder what motivates their need to deride?

An electric CJ! Great idea and project. Look forward to seeing how it turns out. We will all learn something.

Cheers,

JS
post #15 of 153 Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I hope you can pull it off, it's an interesting project. With today's small and powerful electric motors and batteries, there's no reason you can't.
STJP likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.