So....finally. After years of reading and participating from the helpful info you posted over the years, I am going to start my build thread NOW.
My CJ will get a new stainless steel body from the Philippines and a 5.3 Chevy Vortec the same time. Everything is ready to go but more in the next coming days.
It took some time before I got the ball rolling but now I start the thread. First pictures tomorrow....
Hi, that's the plan. I did some tests and sandblasted the fender with some fine grid sand. Turned out really nicely.
I got me the decals from the Silver Anniversary Model already. I like what you guys call "Restomodding"
Keep the look but pimp the drivetrain.
However, the pictures look better than the real body. Quite some work involved since not everything is straight. Due to the lack of dies I guess some of the forming was done by hand. I will share this in the coming weeks. It is a completely new experience not to be able to use body and primer....:-(
Preparation for the new engine. More power needs more brakes.
Big GM caliper with thick rotor and the same in the rear with emergency brake in the caliper.
Stops on a dime...
Reid Racing high steer knuckles with home made steering arm corrected for Ackermann angle. Together with the detachable sway bar the rig finally stays on the road, even with the soft OME Wrangler Springs. Turned out to be really good. What shocked me was the huge negative camber I got with these knuckles. Fortunately there is a fix for that with adjustable shims which mount under the spindle.
A few pics from the engine. 5.3 Chevy Vortec out of crashed GMC Sierra with 45.000 miles. I am using Corvette C6 header and Advanced Adapters Engine mounts.
Wiring comes from Painless for the engine and for the body.
Great that GM moved the flywheel .4" forward. Hence the throwout bearing is too short but a longer one is available. If somebody needs more info on this let me know.
Got my dashboard back with the laser cutouts for the instruments.
I used 1/10" stainless this time to give it some strength after I realized that the original dashboard had a some reinforcement behind the push / pull cables.
I found the dxf file for the dashboard layout on the internet from a company who was commercially producing stainless steel dashboards but discontinued the business. If interested send me a PM.
No glove box. This is where the ECM for the 5.3 will be installed.
Hi, another update on the project. As mentioned, this body is nice but far from perfect. I decided to cut the tail corners out and had new ones made from 1/10 gauge stainless. There was not one angle as it should be. The rear floor is about 1/2 inch tolerance from left rear fender to right rear fender. Hence I cut open the welds to straighten it out. Sometimes I wonder if a normal steel body is such a bad thing. :-(
Last edited by petlegpete; 10-24-2015 at 08:40 AM..