jeep build cj3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
khanhhoa

jeep build cj3

I am looking to put a 4 cylinder turbo diesel, either a cummins or an Isuzu in a jeep cj3a, I am trying to find out if there is a bellhousing that will fit the engine and bolt to a standard T-90 three speed transmission on the market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am not all to familiar with the older jeeps, but I know danielbuck put a little diesel in his 46 willies and enjoys it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: 2" RE spacer lift, 32"x11.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 PM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
The problem you'll have with the T90 is it's very short overall length; either the shifter will be in the firewall, or the motor will be. I don't think you'll find any off the shelf bell housing for it either, or at least Novak doesn't have any info on it. Have you considered an SM465? Still a little on the short side so you'll likely have to make a long shifter with a bend in it to get it out of the dash, but at least you'll be able to find a bell housing.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 PM
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I would do a mercedes om617 and an ax15 trans if i were looking to do a diesel swap. The om617 is much smoother and quieter than a cummins 4bt and with an overdrive trans you could look to get 30+ mpg with tons of torque.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.