Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Janesy's 03' Rubicon Build

102K views 841 replies 68 participants last post by  TechJeeper 
#1 · (Edited)
Janesy's Hylined '03 Rubicon Build

Been wanting a Jeep forever and I finally got it, since the Trailblazer that I had was starting to have too many problems. Found a 03' Rubi in nice shape with 100k on it that will only be my DD for a few months and then a weekend and trail toy.

The plan for it is to be a capable trail rig and weekend cruiser. LCG is the long term plan. For now will be 2" suspension lift, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, sitting on 33's. Once those wear out I will plan on flat fenders and 35's. No rush on that as first I want to armor it up and beef up the axles with some RCV's up front...

Here it is the day I picked it up:

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Updated: Pretty much how it sits today:

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Drivetrain Specs:
o 4.0L I-6 engine
o NV241 Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case
o Dana 44 front and rear axles w/ Tru-Lok selectable pneumatic lockers
o RCV Performance CV axle shafts
o Ten Factory Rear chromoly shafts
o Motive 5.13 Gears
o 42rle Transmission
o Novak shifter

Suspension/Steering/Brake Modifications:
o BDS 2" suspension lift
o Zone 1.25" BL
o Savvy 1" MML
o Currie HD steering
o Synergy ball joints
o RE 3/4" spacer (front)
o Black Magic brakes
o YJ Brake lines
o Currie AntiRock
o Metal Cloak Control Arms
o Metal Cloak adj. front trackbar

Exterior Modifications:
o A to Z front builder bumper
o Rampage Frameless Soft Top
o 35x12.5x15 MTR's w/ Kevlar on MB TKO wheels
o Rear bumper plate w/ D-ring & Swag frame tie-ins
o JK Turn signals
o CJ Tailgate

Armor
o Rokmen Steering Box Skid
o Smittybilt Crusher Corners w/ 3" flares
o Rokmen hilines w/flare
o A to Z Fab sliders
o Savvy GTS
o Savvy Under Armor
o Barnett Diff cover (front)
o Riddler Diff cover (rear)
o Poly Performance Front cage & extra DOM for custom rear additions

Engine Modifications:
o AEM Bruteforce CAI

Recovery Equipment:
o 12' Wheeler's Tree Strap
o 20' & 30' Wheeler's Straps
o 9k lb Engo winch w/cable
o Smittybilt Snatch Block

Electrical Modifications:
o iSimple
o Uniden Pro 510xl CB
o 3' Firestick Firefly CB Antenna
o Scangauge II
o 4" LED tails
o Rigid Ind. Dually's - Flood
o Nalin Speaker/Tweeter adapters w/ Polk db Component Dash System
o Polk db speakers in soundbar
o Roadless Gear In Cab winch control

Misc.
o MV50 air compressor
o Oasis Trailhead Tire Deflators
o Mostalined Tub
o Corbuea Baja SS seats

To Be Done
o F250 shock towers and BBCS 11" shocks for outboarding

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#735 ·
Sooo I rolled the jeep tonite..I'm fine, passengers thumb is ****ed up but otherwise ok. started up but sitting at my buddies place, since I couldn't get it to shift out of neutral. more to come in the next couple days when I have a chance to get back to it..

#737 ·
On the trail. There is an entrance to our local trails right from my buddies backyard. It was a new obstacle he cut on his property that I have been up a couple times no problem. Decided to go down it and fell off the line and went over on drivers side as backend slid around and then over the top landing on passengers side.

#741 ·
Bummer. Glad everyone is OK though
That sucks. How damaged is the Jeep?
Yea was not in the least expecting it. Like you all said I'm happy we both got out relatively unscathed all things considered.. didn't really get a good look at the rig just flipped it back over and fired up fine. Think just need some atf and should be fine. Windshield is busted good but I'll be getting back over tomorrow and access the damage.

#743 ·
So I got back out there, started her up and let her warm up. Topped off the trans fluid and drove right on out. Did a walk around and checked everything else out, took the windshield off which was smashed up good and took a spin. Good to go and got her back home.

Only damage was the windshield. With it off can't even tell it went over.. So happy about that at least.

I'm with ya.

#745 ·
Thanks Lou, and no pics... It happened at night and my phone went flying so didn't find it til after the rig was up righted and we just wanted to get our buddy out quick.

And I forgot to take on today before I took the windshield off for the drive home.. but it is crushed goood.

#747 ·
Forgot to even take an after pic once I got it out of the woods..

Only damage was the windshield frame and glass. Cage is straight from what I can tell, just the brackets that the windshield bolts up to bent a lil.

Just got another used windshield frame with glass locally, damn near mint condition for $50. Bolted right on everything lined up.

Still need to vacuum out all the broken glass and do a thorough once over before I take it back out on the trail, but it drove solid back to my house.

#748 ·
And my bad luck continues.. But after two and a half years of beating the rig up, I can't really complain as I haven't had any real breakage until recently..

Tried a steep rock face that I have crawled plenty of times before, but had some rain come in the night before, so didn't have the same traction. Tried a little more throttle, just one hop and snap.. Was able to just pull it and drive out and home in front wheel drive. Even did a few long hill climbs that were interesting with just the front tires spinning!

#752 ·
No pics of my own and its like pullin teeth to get others to even take any as it's a place we frequent. And really from the roll there was no carnage besides the windshield frame and glass which has been disposed of as I'm moving friday into the house we just bought and didn't want to move with it. I'll try to get some pics next time.

#755 ·
Well I found a few of me from the weekend but nothin cool..

RTI ramp at the clubs annual pigroast.

Rock crawl at pigroast.

Just me before I broke with one of the rigs I wheeled with.

And one of the members rolling at the pigroast.

Beasley, Lou is right, rear driveshaft.

Already got the RCV's up front, best investment so far..

#758 ·
More from the Mass Mudders 18th Annual Pigroast.

Pig Roaster

Bands playing on the stage we built for the camp.

A lil' fun on the RTI ramp.

:laugh:

Stuck on the rock crawl.

Another cool rig playin around.

#762 ·
This past Sunday, one of my clubs had our second cleanup of the year. Luckily the trails are pretty spotless, so more wheelin' was done than anything. Had a few driveshaft issues,but otherwise a great day.

#765 ·
:thumbsup:

another western mass jeeper here..how was cutting the hole for the LEDs through the corner guards and the tub? I plan on doing this project this week. I got a great deal on the corner guards but they only have the holes for the stock tail lights
Not too bad. Just take your time and not force it. The corner guards are obviously much more work/time consuming than the tub, which is nothing at all.

#764 ·
another western mass jeeper here..how was cutting the hole for the LEDs through the corner guards and the tub? I plan on doing this project this week. I got a great deal on the corner guards but they only have the holes for the stock tail lights

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.