JahnPaters' 2012 Call of Duty Wrangler Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > JahnPaters' 2012 Call of Duty Wrangler Rubicon

Jeep Long Arm Upgrade Kits on SALE for as low as $649.95 SNew Jeep Parts & Accessories!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 02-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
JahnPaters
2012 JK Wrangler 

JahnPaters' 2012 Call of Duty Wrangler Rubicon

so I thought I would own my TJ forever, and never own a JK. but then that all changed. one day it got into my head to upgrade, and after some time I finally did. I searched for a while, and came across a Call of Duty special edition. I looked at it twice at the dealer and decided to buy it October 9, 2014. It had just a hair over 22,000 miles and was super clean. this was the only used Jeep that met every single thing I wanted in my new Jeep. manual, Rubicon, hardtop, nav, etc.

while my boss was checking it out, he noticed the numbered plate. I found out I had number 1504 of 3500 COD special editions, so that was pretty cool.

So then, I was just loving it and driving it a ton. We drove it on a small trip to Disney and really enjoyed the comfort of the new Jeep over my old TJ.

Late November/early December, I did basic things like adding a CB up behind the rearview mirror and a rugged ridge hi-lift mount.

middle of december, I got around to buying the AEV winch plate that didn't come with my COD AEV front bumper and the new gen smittybilt 9.5K with synthetic rope. in this pic, I hadn't installed the fairlead and rope yet.

Right after Christmas, we took it on our first big trip. We drove about 1,100 miles to my girlfriend's aunt's house up the mountains in west Maryland. GPS didn't do us right with the crazy mountain roads up there.

We were expecting to see tons of snow, as her family had told us that by that time there's always a lot for the rest of winter. I was super excited to see how the Jeep would do with lots of snow. Well our luck was that this would be the ONLY snow we saw.

I did wander around their mountain neighborhood while we were there. some of those roads farther out got really rough and steep, and roads that were on the GPS ended up being some light wheeling. being that I was alone with only my winch and no experience with driving on ice, I was very cautious. it was really cool when I had to use all the features that I bought the Rubicon trim for. some of the ice covered the entire trail going back uphill and I had to use 4x4 with lockers to get back. The one bad thing was I got a little too comfy around some bushes and put some pretty decent scratches all over both sides of the Jeep and hardtop...

Well, we came back home after new years and really enjoyed the trip in the Jeep. BUT, I felt that some noises I noticed were becoming a bit louder so I decided to take it into the dealer to get it looked at. with some back and forth convincing the dealer, they took it in to check the throwout bearing and a few other small issues (radio, etc). they agreed to give me a rental and I ended up with a loaded brand new Grand Cherokee. this thing 100% caught me off guard. If I ever leave the Wrangler game and look to SUV's, I would strongly consider one of these. I was shocked with how nice it was

After a bit of back and forth and running around with the dealer, they gave back my Jeep after they replaced the throwout bearing and some piece in the AC.
two other friends had also just recently gotten their own 2-door JK's, so we took our Jeeps to a small off road park about two hours away from home.

While we were there, the clutch was working fine and that was great. but when I went to turn off traction control, nothing would happen. then I started pressing other buttons and nothing (hazard, power outlet, etc). in 4-Lo, I tried to turn my lockers on, also nothing. I realized at the dealer, when putting the Jeep back together they must have left a plug for the harness off somewhere. I was pretty unhappy about wheeling with traction control on, and no lockers. It made driving in sugar sand horrible. I took it back to the dealer that Monday and they took care of it quickly.

Since I've had the Jeep back, I haven't had any new issues. The only thing I never figured out was a "swishing" sound sort of like water from somewhere low like under the tub. The dealer had nothing really to say about that, and I'm still pretty unsure about it. I hope that doesn't end up being an issue later.

JahnPaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #2
JahnPaters
2012 JK Wrangler 

being very busy with work and other things lately, I haven't done much with the Jeep.

tax time came around, and I started playing with ideas of starting to do bigger things with it. I had my TJ on a basic 2.5" lift and 35's, and I wanted to do it a bit nicer for my new Jeep. I've been looking a LOT at Rock Krawler and they really look like good quality. So I decided I was going to do their 2.5" X-factor, and run 37's. after looking at real numbers for everything, I had to step back and reevaluate. Tax time was good to me this year compared to the past, but not $5k+ good lol.

I decided I would start my build in "stages":

Stage 1 will consist of:
basic Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift.
- this is simply lift coils, front adj. track bar and rear track bar bracket.
- I order it with Bilstein 5100's.
- I'll find a decent set of 35's for my stock wheels and use spidertrax spacers that I got from a friend free.
I received the lift and shocks today. all the RK stuff looks BEEF and those Bilsteins are pretty

Stage 2 will consist of:
-Rock Krawler X-factor upgrade
- all 8 adj. control arms (move rear axle back 1" - clearance)
- adj. rear track bar
- extended brake lines
- bump stops (front/rear)
-Poison Spyder flat flares front/rear (narrow width, maybe aluminum)
-the goal: x4 ATX Chamber Pro II wheels (17x9 -24)
-x4 37's (not 100% decided on brand and tread)
-drop spare, Poison Spyder license plate tramp stamp
-always have ~$400 available in case a tire is ever ruined (no spare)

I will be looking into sleeving/gusseting the axles for the big tires
oh and of course, I'll need to squeeze a programmer in here somewhere as soon as possible.

for the most part, I won't wheel too often, and do more like once or twice a year trips to other states. So this basic set up will be simple, but useful for the light amount of wheeling I will realistically be doing.
Unread 03-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
JahnPaters
2012 JK Wrangler 

found some 35's today. going to Montana with my gf this week, so I'll get the lift and tires on next week hopefully

but they will have to sit in the other room until then lol

Unread 03-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
JahnPaters
2012 JK Wrangler 

So finally got around to doing the lift this past weekend.

Started off with hover Jeep

The springs were significantly taller than stock, and ended up being a lot more difficult than I was expecting (a lot harder than it was to do on my old TJ)

We ended up stopping for the day once we got the front mostly together.

Sunday we were determined to get it done quickly to avoid getting yelled at by our girlfriend's. it was weird seeing the Jeep on all stands (and a little scary)

by early afternoon, we had it back together for the most part.

The steering wheel was upside down once we finished, and cruise wouldn't work, along with traction freaking out. I was a little worried, but my buddy figured out that once the steering wheel was put back to straight, it fixed it. Ran the programmer and put in the new tire size. This is how it sits as of now. There are a few tweaks still to be made

I removed the hi-lift and mount.
Poison Spyder tramp stamp came in to install soon.
Still need to adjust the front track bar, install the rear track bar bracket, rebalance the tires and chalk-test them to find the proper air pressure to run.

Next week, getting it professionally buffed to try to get out some scratches from my Maryland trip and going to buy the wireless switch for a lightbar my boss got me for christmas. I've been waiting to install that thing foreverrr

Overall I am happy with how it sits now. But hopefully by next year I will start getting ready for 37's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.