Itsayj project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Itsayj project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 07-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
allwhiteyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Itsayj project

2 weekends ago I found a Jeep in Idaho on craigslist, flew there from seattle, bought it, spent the weekend driving it around, then I drove it all the way home. here are all the photos the seller sent me via email before I flew over:

PS a good friend was getting married so I was going to Idaho anyhow! so im only slightly crazy

allwhiteyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
allwhiteyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so, all the way from boise to Olympia, STRAIGHT PIPED and dumped under my girlfriends seat (lol), and what I thought was the transmission took a **** literally 2 blocks from my house. I pulled off, jammed it in second and it held into the neighborhood, I made it to where it was all down hill to the driveway and then was stuck at the bottom of my driveway, which is a hill! so I winched it up with my pickup.

no gears worked, it made horrible noises in every gear. I thought input shaft. further investigation after pulling the trans and t case revealed it was the t case. which was completely dry. and the shift fork was toast. unfortunately I this was after I had already ordered a rebuilt trans. plus side is though, first gear was pretty tough to get into and it ground every other gear... so it was going to be nice to have a new trans. I also picked up a 98 trans with bell, master, slave, and hose (external slave style) off CL, reverse was toast but it was $100! worth it for the external slave. then I picked up the freshest looking used np231J ever for $150. got it all in the next weekend and driving down the road. also installed a dynomax super turbo cat back, deleted the cat, and a new head pipe because the current was rusted out!

Unread 07-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
allwhiteyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

while I was waiting for the new trans I did some other things. I picked up a set of TJ poision spyder front tube fenders, with inners, for $200. same guy who sold me the 98 trans. I told him there was no way they would fit the yj without a tj hood and grill. so he sold me a tj hood and grill for $10 and two snap on ratchet straps. the jeep needed new fenders so what the hell!

as you can see I also pulled the 8274 off the first gen and made a winch plate for the YJ.

Unread 07-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
allwhiteyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

one more sad thing about the YJ is it didn't come with a front driveshaft. I pulled the cover to make sure the gear ratio was the same as rear and to do a general overall inspection. well, the diff was almost completely dry! the ring and pinion are pitted pretty bad, quite sloppy, and there was a bit of metal in the bottom. but the diff still works. brakleened, re sealed, and topped off with fluid. went for a spin and the next day both axle seals were leaking. after a bit of confusion of the different seals for a vac disco dana30 and a non vac disco dana30, and after making a couple of special "seal pressing" tools, I got those changed out. need to do the pinion seal as well and then find a front driveshaft.

gear ration appears to be 4.10:1, which is odd considering it is a 6cyl 5 spd. im thinking past motor swap vehicle?

here is some pics of the front diff apart:

thanks for viewing up until now!

commence TJ front end swap bashing.

-Sean
Unread 08-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
allwhiteyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Threw on some TSLs and went wheeling!
image-2550860917.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.