It's mine again! 2006 Rubi LJ back in the stable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > It's mine again! 2006 Rubi LJ back in the stable

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's mine again! 2006 Rubi LJ back in the stable

I first posted this in the General Discussion area. Decided to make it a build thread to keep adding to. Here is the background from last year:

Tomorrow is the big day! I head out for a 3 hour drive to pick up my 2006 LJ Rubicon in Impact Orange!

Now, when I say "My" LJ, I truly mean MY LJ.

I purchased the LJ brand new in 2006. I went to the dealer to pick up a white one and once I saw the Orange, I had to have it. For the next 1.5 years, I lost count of how many people offered to buy it due to the color and the mods I had done. I got a wild hair and decided to try ebay to see if it would sell and for what price. Needless to say it sold very quickly and for much more than I had into it.

It all happened so fast that I didn't realize the attachment I had to it. Oh well, I went out and bought the JK Rubicon Unlimited I currently have and just moved on. A couple months ago I paid off the JK and have no plans in getting rid of it. I love my CJ7 that I just completed a frame-off restore.

I was cleaning up my PC and found the pics I took of the LJ for ebay. I realized I still miss the thing. Then my mind started wondering.....

I still had the guy's info who bought it from me. I figured all it was was a phone call to see if he even still had it and if so, would he be interested in selling it. Wonder what shape it's in? Wrecked? sold a couple more times??

Called him up. He still had it and has only put 12k miles on it in the last 5 years!!!! So in total it has 30k miles on it since it only had 18k on it when I sold it. He just cruises in it on the weekends. It looks exactly like it did when I sold it. Same lift, tires, rear swingout, etc. I told him I would be interested in buying it back if he ever decided to sell it. A couple weeks later, I got the call. We agreed on a price and it's mine again.

I head out tomorrow morning. I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. Pics to be posted tomorrow no worries. *EDIT* Below is one of the pics I used for the ebay add years ago. I ended up keeping the Warn 9.5ti that was on it and put it on the JKU Rubicon I bought.

At the time that I got the LJ back, I already had 3 other Jeeps. My wife's 2011 JKU Sahara, my DD 2007 JKU Rubicon, 1976 CJ7 that I just completed a frame off restoration on.

ebay.jpg  
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics bringing it home, where it never should have left. I used my buddy's truck to go get it. The JKU would have pulled it but it got horrible MPG by itself and the trip to get the LJ was about 7 hours round trip so I left it at home! LOL I had the winch moved over from the CJ7 in a couple hours.
trailer.jpg   2-rubis.jpg   2-rubis-2.jpg  
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Needs / Wants / Time changes things so a complete shuffle of vehicles happened at my house.

First was the CJ7. While I loved every drop of blood, sweat, and tear that thing gave me over the 5 years restoration project I decided it was time for it to go. I had an amazing opportunity to fulfill my wife's dream.....

We sold the CJ7 and acquired her dad's '65 Corvette. The funds from the CJ sale rebuilt the engine.

Below are pics of the CJ7 the day I sold it and one of me washing the Vette after getting it home.
vette.jpg   cj7.jpg  
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Then we decided with the Vette, both Rubi's, and my wife's JKU Sahara, we had too many vehicles. We never drove the Sahara so we sold it.

I found myself never driving the '07 JKU Rubi. I loved having the LJ back and the "Jeep feeling" it gave me that the JK never did. So my wife and I decided to sell the JKU Rubi and get something she would like driving better. Sold the JKU Rubi to a local guy who seems to be loving it.

2006 Commander HEMI Limited 4x4
hemi.jpg  
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So now we are down to the Vette, Commander, and my LJ. I also have a Harley V-Rod muscle that is a blast to ride.

I've decided to do some work to the LJ now that the JK Rubi is gone. I need to get it built up some.

PSC Rockers were first followed by selling the Big Daddy rear swingout and adding a PSC rear swingout. For some reason need to find pics of the rear bumper swap.
rockers.jpg   fall-shot.jpg  
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Some folks asked in the last thread about the condition of the LJ when I got it back. The only changes he made were to add seat covers. As far as issues, it had a leaky axle seal, and the tires were ruined. Apparently the local Jiffy Lube guys always aired up the BFGs to what the sidewall said so needless to say, in just 12k miles the tires were bald in the middle.

I replaced the tires with the Coopers. Love those tires for the cost.
Unread 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You have and have had some nice vehicles man! Love the LJ!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Love the LJ , but I am biased . Its cool that you got it back , that doesnt happen too often .
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
chriswj

man i would have kept the cj and the LJ and sold the rest
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Love the LJ , but I am biased . Its cool that you got it back , that doesnt happen too often .
Tell me about it... and he had 3 kids who were all of age to have driven it over the years. Good for him/me none of them liked it. They wanted to stick with their Hondas.
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
ZJeepMI
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool story about getting it back. I had a '95 I6 5 speed f-150 in highschool that I sold to get a high mpg car a couple years ago. The guy who bought it from me lives only 4 houses down (it sold on craigslist), and I've been trying to get it back ever since I got rid of it haha. I sold it with 102,500 miles, it had 103,200 last time I stopped and talked to him a couple months ago. He hardly ever drives it. I've made him 2 offers to buy it back, both of them more than 1k what he paid, but still no go. I'm hoping someday he'll change his mind and I'll be as lucky as you! I just have an attachment to the truck for some reason.

Cool Jeep though, love that color. Dad has a yellow Rubi and it's been a great Jeep, coming up on 100k miles soon. How many miles does your Jeep have?
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2" lift, 31's, V8, NP242...
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Stock, 230K miles.
ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just turned 35k last week. Very low miles.
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
canadian242

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH07
Here are some pics bringing it home, where it never should have left. I used my buddy's truck to go get it. The JKU would have pulled it but it got horrible MPG by itself and the trip to get the LJ was about 7 hours round trip so I left it at home! LOL I had the winch moved over from the CJ7 in a couple hours.
nice lj man, I love the orange nice jeep
canadian242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #14
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I will be the first to admit, I am very OCD about cleaning my vehicles. This is how I wax my Jeeps, I take everything I can off. As you can see in the backgroud this was earlier this year before selling the other 3 Jeeps and acquiring the Vette and Commander.
no-flares2.jpg   no-flares.jpg  
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like it looks great!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.