It's just another TJ build thread... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > It's just another TJ build thread...

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #76
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumdaddy View Post
tell me how you like em please - in mud, on the road, wear, anything you will say will be appreciated!
Honestly, I don't have anything to base them off of because they're my first tire on the Jeep but let's see... For on road they're very quiet and I've never had trouble in rain or anything but the downside is that they wear quickly. When I bought the Jeep the tires were brand new and with 6000 miles of driving this year they're down to 70-60%. In the mud they're definitely a great tire I can't believe some of the goopy mud I'm able to keep moving in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
Brian, might be me, but I prefer the flares on the TJ

Also, did you video tape your jump? There is a jump school at the tamiami airport. $325 for certification.
I agree, TJ with stock fenders and no flares definitely isn't the way to go hopefully the Metalcloaks and corners will help

I didn't film my jump because the filming option was $80 and as cool as it would be to have a video I didn't need 3 minutes of my face making weird shapes. My brother and friend who also jumped got videos of themselves though.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #77
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the input. i've almost made my decision on these!
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #78
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been working from morning to dark the past two days, 24 hours the past two days and progress is slow, but steady. It's in the mid 90's with 98% humidity which definitely doesn't help. The corners are completely installed and the rockers are too, but they're only on by a few bolts because they'll need to come off and get trimmed to line up with the Metalcloaks.

Part way through

Rocker notched to fit with the corner it will be cleaned and painted

Little bracket for LED license plate light I bent

Then the real fun. I spent most of today cleaning up wiring

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #79
Jeeperjake30
2008 JK Wrangler 

holy **** u got more wires under there than n.a.s.a does !
Jeeperjake30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #80
islandbilly
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thats gonna look sick when you done
islandbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #81
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished rewiring all my electrical and UPS came by, dropped off the Curried steering. It looks like parts off construction equipment compared to the stock stuff.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #82
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I got the Cloaks the rest of the way installed. After I have the turns wired to the stock harness I'll snap a picture of my wiring. I spent a lot of time cleaning it up and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Tomorrow I am cutting the rock rail flush with the fender and I also have to drill a ~1" hole for the flare attachment point... which will be interesting. I'll clean it and paint them with the bed liner to match the fenders after I cut them.
After that I'm installing the Currie steering and removing the sway bar and steering box skid to paint them black also.
I may actually take the Jeep to a dealership for alignment since although I can do it myself and have before, I have $70 credit there from a previous vehicle so as long as the alignment is less than $70 then that's the plan.

Other than that I'm still working on tracking down a friend with a 4 1/2" hole saw for the rear lights. It's really frustrating not being able to do something so simple and finish up the rear end because of a $30 tool :

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #83
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rockers are cut to match the cloaks. I had to run to the store and buy another 1 1/4" hole saw for the knob on the fenders, the rockers chewed all the teeth off my first saw.
Was just about to paint the rockers and the mail man dropped off my Aussie locker more work for another day...

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #84
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

it looks beautimus guy!!! I love it, although i'm extremely jealous you got ur metal cloaks before me!!!
lol iam stealth like a 900 pound cat ha ha
curt7088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #85
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Another long day yesterday...

I bought some of my first new tools since I'll be leaving to college in a week and of course the Jeep will always need wrenching... tools are one of those things that grow over the years so in addition to my sockets, torx, allen and so on I got some basic hand tools including a pair of Chanellocks for $4

Having fun with the saw getting the rocker to line up with the fender

After paint

Signals. The top is a parking light while the one below it and the front one are turn signals.

Closer to "finished"

I went outside just an hour ago to start on the steering and I cannot for the life of me get off the pitman arm nut. Unless I get creative I may have to take it somewhere with a socket that big and a big impact gun...

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #86
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, it looks really good with the cloaks and corners on.

Sorry if I asked before, what school are you going to?
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #87
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Wow, it looks really good with the cloaks and corners on.

Sorry if I asked before, what school are you going to?
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology for mechanical engineering... way up in Indiana.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #88
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a quick picture of the tail lights in the dark

Removed my stock steering this morning. I went to a shop that has done work on my family's vehicles and he impact gun'd the pitman nut off in no time. I slipped him a 20 because I know I'll be back later for more favors loosening stuck bolts After I got home I was able to get the arm off without too much trouble which was a huge relief. Advanced Auto rental puller and the handle of a highlift jack over my ratchet did the trick.
So I got the Currie steering installed, dropped pitman arm replaced with stock and headed to the dealership for alignment... $20 out the door They did however confirm that I do in fact need a new steering gear box because mine has too much play so I might look into the Durango swap once I'm at college.
It's so nice to not swerve every time I hit a bump... first time not having bump steer.

I plan on starting the Aussie install tomorrow morning and if I have time I'm replacing all my fluids (new oil, topping coolant, brakes, steering, changing t case, transmission and of course the front diff)

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #89
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86992

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology for mechanical engineering... way up in Indiana.
Oh, I didn't know if you were staying in state or not. Good luck in Indiana, I'm from IL originally, you'll have a great time playing in the snow
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #90
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I got the locker in this afternoon then changed my T case and transmission fluids, bled the brakes the topped off my fluids under the hood.

4 linked DD on coilovers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.