It's just another TJ build thread... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > It's just another TJ build thread...

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's just another daily driver TJ 4 linked on coilovers...

I'll try to keep a recent picture up here for quick reference
Quote:

Starting at the beginning:
Bought the Jeep in Summer of 2010
I bought it from a JF member (yes I know, I know) already lifted with a handful of mods done to it.

2002 TJ 100K miles
Dana 44 (factory) with Tru Track
Regeared to 4.56
Unknown / Rubicon Express 4" lift
SYE & Tom Woods
Brand new 33" Wrangler MTRs (with full spare)
Pocket Flares (look cool, totally useless)

One of the first things I knew I wanted to do was get the spare off the tail gate so I shelled out a whopping $350 on a (shamefully) Smittybilt tire carrier

Soon after followed Delta LED 3rd brake lights - one of my favorite cheap, easy "mods"

Everyone has their opinion on snorkels, some like them some hate them but personally, I felt that for the areas I wheel in (think Florida swamp) a snorkel was at the very least a good insurance policy.
So, what did I do? Well I found some old shop vac tubing of course

Can’t say it isn’t at least “creative”

Obviously this wasn’t a permanent solution so I found a Volant snorkel locally and picked it up for not too much $$

Some time in my Jeep’s infancy (to me) it developed some wonderful cooling problems. I ended up replacing almost every part of the cooling system, except the radiator, which the PO replaced.
Water pump (twice)
Thermostat
Fan clutch
(trying to remove the fan clutch from the pump)

After all that I was blessed enough to have cracked my head (it was the weak 0331 casting)
Thus ensued my first really intimate encounter with the Jeep

In some of the pictures you’ll also notice that I got a hold of CB stuff and went (admittedly) overboard. Over time the antennas and mountings have changed
I found a killer deal on 4” springs in the classifieds so I jumped on them and along with some trimming to the rear fenders I think it sits nice

The stock headlights just weren’t cutting it on, or off the road so I looked into my options. For around the same price as a set of nice halogens I completely replaced my headlights with a HID kit and new E Code housings for proper cutoffs

Maintenance is always important and I’ve done my fair share of that
Shocks
Plugs
Throttle body
U joints
Fluids
The list goes on and on
I also needed new brakes in the rear and rather replacing the drums (that love to collect mud) I bought a G2 disk brake package – very high quality stuff
And that pretty much wraps up the cliff notes on the early progression of my Jeep since my ownership.
I hope you’ve found something at least entertaining or inspiring from this

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I bought myself an ORFab stinger for a number of reasons.
- It's awesome
- I got it cheap
- Winch mounting plate

While I was at it I pulled off the steering skid, sway bar and bezels for some paint

And everything all buttoned up (after snapping off the welded nuts in the bumper and having to cut the old bolts off)

This was also about the time that I realized my girlfriend might not be enough to pull me out when I get stuck
So I landed a sweet deal on a warn M8000 for $380

The next day I got creative in order to wind in the cable with tension on it. Remember, Florida is flat

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

nice so far, i like it so what you bought a already modded jeep, ppl do it, it is where you take it from here that makes the difference... I go down to jax every weekend to visit my g/f and do a bit of wheeling down there when i can so maybe we can set up a time to go wheelin!!! there is a couple of places i know of and there is numerous places others know of! but anyways jeep looks good and good luck with the future build!
lol iam stealth like a 900 pound cat ha ha
curt7088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliments.

I suppose I could throw in some future want's/plans

I've ordered Black Magic brakes that should be here soon

Things I plan on coming in the future (just thinking out loud)

Rocker Guards
Front locker
Currie Steering
Some sort of new fenders (thinking MCE Flattys because they're super cheap) perhaps I could pair them with some aluminum corners in the back
Tummy tuck to get rid of the shovel (that's a long shot though)

What I really need to do it get it out on some trails and get stuck so I have an excuse to use my winch

Here's a semi recent video that I took. I let my friend drive it through a little mud and water on a trail... nothing crazy

And an older video of some antics
Not the best footage by any means... its hard to get decent video since I'm the only one that cares enough to video correctly but I'm also the one driving so most of this is just meaningless play time

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

lmao i gotta say i like the end of the second vid. you knob jockey!!! lol and have you looked at the metal cloak flares??? they are more expensive, but include a whole fenderwell, and mounts for everything that mounts to the fenders, and they have flares that are removeable... i'm prutty sure we can get you stuck SOMEwhere... lol just find some time and we'll make sure it happens, although all that mud that ur in in the vids makes me cringe!!! lmao
lol iam stealth like a 900 pound cat ha ha
curt7088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah around here its mud or nothing. No matter how much people say that mud is for people that don't know how to rock crawl it doesn't change a thing if your only options are mud or nothing at all.
And yeah metalcloak fenders would be what I get no doubt if I had extra money burning a hole in my pocket but the price is a little out of what I'm looking to spend right now. I can get a set of the flattys for somewhere around $150 vs over $700 for metalcloak

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Today I "Tested" my stock brakes

I want to see how much faster I can stop with the new black magic brakes I will be installing tomorrow

I stopped from 30mph (didn't have any street I could safely do this on from a higher speed) and measured my distance three times. Then I put some footage of it together

Hopefully I'll be able to put this side to side with the black magic brakes and see some difference.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Jeepman27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm loving the jeep! Looking forward to see this monster grow!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2001-tj-safe-1305760/#post12741531"]The Build Thread.[/URL]

[U][B][SIZE="3"]STOLEN:[/SIZE][/B][/U] 1998 TJ, 2.5" Susp, 1" Bl, 33 KM2's, Tube Fenders, Belly Up, Winch, Stinger, LED Tail Lights, Frameless Top

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/jeepman27s-98-tj-daily-driver-1177276/"]The Stolen Jeep Thread.[/URL]

Slow, Slow, Slow.. 89 MJ, 31 Wrangler MT's

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/89-comanche-garbage-can-1259303/"]Comanche Build thread.[/URL]
Jeepman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of stinger do you have? Where did you get it and how much?
cwsluggers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ORFab TJ stinger. Normallly it goes for around $399 plus shipping but I picked mine up from trucksddons.com for $269 with free shipping. It's a solid product.

4 linked DD on coilovers

Last edited by Brian86992; 07-09-2011 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Spelling....
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
tucanbob

looking good. I like the wheels.
Unread 05-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

$400 is a little much but the price you got is good. I've got an 89 yj that I wanna get a stinger for
cwsluggers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Installed my Black Magic pads and Centric Premium rotors today. Pretty straightforward installation... although I had to bleed the brakes 4 times because I kept messing it up, but I'm much better now

As one of those pleasant unintended results I also noticed there must have been air in my rear brake lines causing lesser performance with my rear disks. (not by my choice) I had a shop install them and they must have done a poor job bleeding them. I can really feel them locking up tighter while braking in reverse.

Long story short I now have 4 very able brakes

Hopefully that will help me from running over one of the terrible senile tourist drivers where I live

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I bet you got the looks with that shop-vac hose and cb antennas on there.Looking good now.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prryan45 View Post
I bet you got the looks with that shop-vac hose and cb antennas on there.Looking good now.
Had to get the redneck ghetto-fab out of my system

I wish I knew how CBs work... I'm not sure if more antennas hurts or helps reception

4 linked DD on coilovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.