Its About Time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Its About Time

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its About Time

Ok, so I am constantly on here reading all of the build threads thinking about what I can possibly do next to my jeep. It started off as a 2004 Wrangler X 6Cyl auto with 32k miles. That was early 2007. Since then I have built it up sold it due to baby number one thinking I needed a more family oriented vehicle(not one of my smartest choices I know but I cant go back). Went to a tiny little car, VR6 Jetta, fun but not my style. Then a lifted Dodge on 35ís more my style but then baby number two was announced and there is absolutely no way to get a rear facing car seat in an extended cab. So for a few months I looked for a new Jeep. Pretending to look for Cherokees when I knew that I would really only be happy with the top and doors off. That is when I found this. 99 Sport 6cyl auto with 130k. In very good condition with both hard and soft tops, only real issue is it is missing the front passenger side carpet. No big deal. So after some long nights of convincing the wife that this was a good idea it was purchased.

front.jpg   pass-side.jpg   rear.jpg   front_pass.jpg   1-cl-po1.jpeg  

2-cl-po2.jpeg  
Sheetz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I started off slow and inexpensive. That will be pretty much a theme of this entire build. First thing that had to go was the milk jugs. I got rid of the back ones and then chopped the front bumper , filled in the original holes and gave it a new paint job. After that I had a little fun building a rear bumper. Just playing around with is seeing what I liked. Pretty simple but effective. Next on the list of inexpensive mods was the fender flares. They were pretty sad. I tried to remove them and paint them, but most of the nut sets just spun and I didnít have the patients or time to go around and play with each bolt. So it got some painters tape a good cleaning and scuffing and got painted on the jeep. They were touched up a little later and look pretty good now. Lastly on this round of mods was the fog lights. The brown one still actually worked but has a decent amount of water in it and the decent looking one had a large cut out of the back of it. In came some cheap LEDs from ebay. Small diameter lights but they are pretty awesome for the amount I paid for them. They do not throw light a long way down the road, but light up about 25/35í in front of me with a very pure white light. I was very pleased.
2.5-front-.jpg   3-chopped-front.jpg   4-first-new-bumper.jpg   5-prepping-flares-painted.jpg   6-painted-flares-need-touchup-.jpg  

7-led-fogs.jpg  
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well after the LEDs I made a set of step for a buddy. Tried to test fit them on my jeep and couldnít because of those little extended flares, so they had to go. And when you remove those you are left with 3 or 4 nut set holes and one big hole for whatever reason. I removed the nut sets and mounted a set of these aluminum Ďrocker guardsí. Pretty thin aluminum so they really wont guard much of anything, but it covers the holes and later on I plan on adding some step/sliders. I wheeled it a little no actual pics of wheeling it but had a blast. My next project was a new rear bumper. Wanted it to match the step I have been building since it was only a matter of time before I built a set for myself. I think it turned out pretty well. I was happy and in reality I was the only person I was trying to please.
8-aluminium-rocker-guard.jpg   9-wheeled-.jpg   10-making-newest-bumper-1.jpg   11-making-newest-bumper-2.jpg   12-new-bumper-installed-1.jpg  

13-new-bumper-installed-2.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

At some point between lights and some other upgrades I installed a junkyard-ish lift. No pictures of the install or even a good before and after but you can see an increase in height from the first couple pictures to the last couple. I used ZJ coils up front and a 3Ē spacer in the rear. I sit just a little lower in the front than the rear. Just about as much as it did stock. Even though itís a stiffer spring there isnít a whole lot of ride difference, at least that I can tell. I also have bar pin eliminators front and rear to give me a little extra length in the shocks since I was told by the previous owner they were just replaced. I also found a good deal on some of the newer style TJ mirrors. I prefer these to the original ones before 02. I also finally got around to making and installing a set of my step/slider for myself. Sorry for the awful night picture but now with a 2yr old and a new baby the only time I get to wrench on the jeep is after everyone has gone to sleep.
14-new-mirrors.jpg   15-home-made-steps-sliders.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Now with all of the extra black parts I am throwing at it I decided it was time for some new rims, or to paint the old ones. I had a buddy with some decent 16Ē tires laying around, and found a deal on some black rock steel rims. Kinda hard to pass up especially since I paid right around $200 for new rims tires and all 4 mounted and balanced. Came home from work one night and found all the parts just waiting for me on my porch. These pictures you can see a difference from the first couple in ride height.
16-brown-santa.jpg   17-lifted-new-rims-new-me-tires1.jpg   18-lifted-new-rims-new-me-tires2.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You can see with the last picture that at some point I blacked out the headlight bezel. Here and there I have been installing some little parts. CB home made quick disconnects. I got a set of H4 headlight conversions on ebay. Autopal brand. Light out put was good and the lights were noticeably brighter. Never being satisfied I bout a cheap set of higher temp lights to try to get a bit more of a pure white light. The left side it just the Autopal brand H4 light, and the right side it the cheap ebay higher temp light. An upgrade from the already upgraded H4 side. Cost me $7 so if it only lasts a few months I can always go back but you can see the difference.
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not that a few little mods are taken care of it was time to tackle a new tire carrier. I wanted something a little different. I decided to go with a fold down style carrier. Like the big stinger style ones but with the tire still mounting on the outside not the inside. I also wanted it to cover the jerry can I have mounted in the place of the stock tire carrier. This is what I came up with. I got an extra new unused rim from a fellow JF member here pretty cheap. Also got a used tire on ebay sent to my door. $25 shipped, canít really beat that price for a spare that would still pass inspection. I think it turned out pretty good.
5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg  

Unread 04-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is where I am at right now. Playing around with some different front bumper ideas. Hopefully able to support a winch which may be in the near future. And kicking the idea of a cheap lunchbox locker. I need something to add a little more traction. I need to sell a few more steps, bumpers, plasma etc before either of those though. The kiddos in the back seat come first. I also plan to add to the existing cage a little. A rear spreader bar and some A pillars and a front bar at least. I donít plan on rolling it but Iím sure any extra bracing couldnít hurt. The rest of this build will be relatively slow since funds and time are hard to come by. All ideas and info and criticizing is welcomed.
10.jpg   11.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
SSZLN
2012 JK Wrangler 

So far so good, recommend a front light bar or front bar bumper with lights...
SSZLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I really like the look of a front stinger, but can not seem to convince myself to pay for a bumper with one already on it, and as of now i dont have the ability to bend my own pipe that much to make one. So anyone willing to bend me a 1.5"-2" pipe into a stinger let me know.
Also anyone interested in trading their black soft top for my tan soft top let me know. Mine is a Bestop in very good condition. Id really like a frameless soft top and depending on the mood may be willing to make a deal for the soft top and cash for one or even my hard top and some cash in return for a good condition frameless top.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have a shot of the Dodge's swing out tire carrier from the rear? Never seen one of those.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ill have to look to see if i have any pictures of it. I had two different designes on it. One folded down and the other was a swing out carrier. They both came off of the hitch that was in the rear. It was 2X2" square tubing coming out from the base of the hitch just enough to clear the bumper. That made the base for it and essentially the same as a wrangler swing out carrier from there.

Last edited by Sheetz15; 04-04-2013 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: addition
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some randome wheeling pics from when a few friends and I actually got out.
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg  
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Sheetz15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is officially how it stands now. Hard top has been removed and hung thanks to a buddy. and now just ready for some warmer weather.
photo.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.