IROCk build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > IROCk build thread

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

IROCk build thread

Ok so tired of starting new threads when I am doing some thing with my jeep time to consolodate. So I will from now on be posting in this so SUBSCRIBE

Here are some of the links of my adventures so far:

Replacing 305 with 350
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...-350-a-747494/

Gas tank swap
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...k-swap-854035/

Auto (700R4) to 5 speed (MG5) swap & TJ Brake booster upgrade
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...rsion-1430055/

Home brew power brake blead
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...l#post15008899

On to todays question. Im in the process for gathering parts on for an 8.8 swap. I ran across the teraflex upper adjustable rear shock mounts for $24.99 normally $126.99. Should I jump on it? Does anyone have it? Do you like it? Problems? I know I can build my own, but that seems pretty cheap.

EDIT: seems like these could cause issues with an anti wrap bar. I may have answered my own question

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's cheap and I run one but I haven't thought about it interfering with an antiwrap bar at all. There are three positions to adjust the shocks so I'm sure you could work around it.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is $126 normal price or is this one of those bs over price stuff to make it look like its on sale? Ive never really priced them out before. Anti- do you see any added benefits over using the stock mounts?

Anyone know where to get the best price on spicer 2-2-1379? I know I found them before for under $20, but Im having trouble now.
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

For the 8.8 swap its tough to get shocks that work unless they hang down like the stock Dana 35 and catch on everything. There just isn't enough room for the travel needed even with huge springs. I like mine but I'm also looking at a spring over in the rear soon so that will change the game up a little. And that is the best price on it. If you order it anywhere else its way too expensive. Don't forget the lower mounts too.
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OT but my jeep related. I scored some seat belts to today on fleabay. When I swapped roll-bars with a buddy back in Charlotte I forgot to swap the rear female belts that bolt to the floor. Didn't realize the sport style lap belt females were twice as long. Basically making the shoulder strap useless. Although I do have future plans for TJ roll-bar/soft top swap. YJ soft tops are just to much of a PITA to put up and down by yourself. Plus it will match the newly installed TJ fenders
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So what welders are people using? In looking to buy a welder cause I wouldn't trust my harbor freight stick welder to soldier a wire! Anyways I'm starting to do research an educate myself better on them. I don't want to completely break the bank getting some crazy 400A welder. It will be used for odds and ends. More importantly it will be used for my 8.8 swap and SOA. Then bumpers and what ever else I can think of down the road. I was looking at a MIG, but I've heard different stories on how big. I've heard for my purposes I would need at least a 150A and I've also heard I should at least get a 220A and i would be better off with stick. What's you guys opinion? What do y'all use for your rig? Thanks!
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Welders anyone???

I ordered a front female buckle out of the 92-95 from ebay. It has a bend in the plastic casing. Has anyone fixed this before? I am not sure if it is a thermoplastic. I have some ideas either heatgun or if I can manage to get the seatbelt out then maybe try putting the plastic in boiling water to try to soften it so I can reset it straight. Has anyone tried this???
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
So what welders are people using? In looking to buy a welder cause I wouldn't trust my harbor freight stick welder to soldier a wire! Anyways I'm starting to do research an educate myself better on them. I don't want to completely break the bank getting some crazy 400A welder. It will be used for odds and ends. More importantly it will be used for my 8.8 swap and SOA. Then bumpers and what ever else I can think of down the road. I was looking at a MIG, but I've heard different stories on how big. I've heard for my purposes I would need at least a 150A and I've also heard I should at least get a 220A and i would be better off with stick. What's you guys opinion? What do y'all use for your rig? Thanks!
I personally like my MIG. It's a Lincoln 180 runs on 220v. It works great for welding anything small or big. Lots of guys use a 110v but you got to be careful with what you get, as you have found out with your harbor freight one. I started out learning on our ranch with a stick, then taught myself with a MIG. They are super easy to use and welds look much better than my stick welds. I like the Lincoln since its a very affordable welder but can still weld on par with a Miller or Hobart.
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
I personally like my MIG. It's a Lincoln 180 runs on 220v. It works great for welding anything small or big. Lots of guys use a 110v but you got to be careful with what you get, as you have found out with your harbor freight one. I started out learning on our ranch with a stick, then taught myself with a MIG. They are super easy to use and welds look much better than my stick welds. I like the Lincoln since its a very affordable welder but can still weld on par with a Miller or Hobart.
I was looking at the Lincoln 180 dual (mig). It can use 220v or 110V. I liked that because of flexibility of power. I just wonder if its as good as the true 220v. The only thing that sucks is its $900. I have seen the lincoln 140 around $400. Its a 110V welder. Would that be sufficient? Or do you think a 180A would be the minimum I need?

Side note I used a hair dryer to heat up the seatbelt casing and it worked like a charm to reform it
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you have an outlet and enough money you should do a Miller/Lincoln/Hobart 180 MIG. If you need to go cheaper, I strongly recommend the Hobart 135 MIG. It can lay strong welds with good penetration to that 8.8 axle. You just have to go full power, low speed, .35 wire and I use CO2 for my hotter stuff. It has a much lower cycle life due to running hot but gets it done.

And before anyone questions my welds, yes I've done plenty of bad welds so I know the difference. I started out with pretty and weak welds. Then I started laying really ugly and strong welds. Now they are unintentionally looking better as I focus on heat, pushing/pulling, puddle, proper wire, line speed, prep, etc. It turns out the machine has been very capable...I was the problem,
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
If you have an outlet and enough money you should do a Miller/Lincoln/Hobart 180 MIG. If you need to go cheaper, I strongly recommend the Hobart 135 MIG. It can lay strong welds with good penetration to that 8.8 axle. You just have to go full power, low speed, .35 wire and I use CO2 for my hotter stuff. It has a much lower cycle life due to running hot but gets it done.

And before anyone questions my welds, yes I've done plenty of bad welds so I know the difference. I started out with pretty and weak welds. Then I started laying really ugly and strong welds. Now they are unintentionally looking better as I focus on heat, pushing/pulling, puddle, proper wire, line speed, prep, etc. It turns out the machine has been very capable...I was the problem,
This.

I put the shock tabs near the top of the tube on my 8.8. Seem to work just fine
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Today was a great day. I finally went through my first tank of gas since swapping the transmission, fixing the vacuum leaks, and fixing a all the check engine lights. For the first time since u have owned my jeep (2004) I got over 200 miles to the tank. I ended up with 12.9 mpg. That is a far cry from the, 6 mpg I was getting before and I definitely wasn't light on the skinny pedal. I know the 4.10's are to tall for the v8 I'm sure I would get better mpg with 3.73's, but for me awesome day
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well she's been running good so no new build update. However if anyone is within a days drive of Daytona FL then I definatly suggest they go to Jeep Beach this weekend! http://www.jeepbeach.com/index.html check it out! Its going to be awesome!
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just a few shots from this weekend. It was awesome!

getting pulled off the course. I broke the d/s at the beginning of the course.

line to get on the beach

x2

never in my life seen so many jeeps (behind)

(infront)

all in all it was an awesome weekend! Hope to see some of you guys down there next year representing the YJ's
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great pics. I know that beach!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.