A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #106
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt

I was thinking a cooler and maybe bag chairs, but can you define your concern?
Just a general concern about adding too much weight to the tailgate. With the tire and rack with a cooler your probably pushing 100lb. unless I missed a tire carrier, that's pushing too much weight for the tailgate to handle.

It looks great though and I'm sure with the proper support/precautions it'll be fine.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #107
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Duly noted kind sir.

Althought it looks nice, its like 35 degrees today. Don't feel like doing a lot outside today. I finished up the soft top install, and wired in a new turn signal socket on the passenger side, OH, and cleaned the wheels.

I am semi excited because really I am not that far from driving it again, if there were an emergency I could bungee all the wiring in the engine compartment, throw headlights in it and go! Well, it makes me feel better anyways.

In other news, looks like it's gonna get broke off in my bottom with the rock sliders. Opened a dispute with Ebay, E-autogrilles or whatever wants me to send back the sliders, but I have to pay shipping charges...I think not. Next step is paypal Ill try to get my $ back that way..
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #108
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hood is completely trimmed up and ready to go - minus finishing out the hood pins. Had to play with the bumper mounting just a smidge, that is now ready for paint. All for now with that.

Got my hands on the other 1/4 of my tub last night, cut it all up, it's ready to be butt'ed up to the other 1/4. Going to talk to a body shop on my way home tonight about doing it up. Also have all the gamblers for the trailer as well.

Please excuse my garage - it's been a long winter...

Here was this as of a couple weeks ago, don't think I showed this picture.

Here is the other 1/4 as of last night.

Unread 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #109
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think your way will be easier as it looks like you wont have to make new inner floors where the wheel wells used to be . Are you going to weld it up , or farm it out to the body shop friend ?
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #110
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I think your way will be easier as it looks like you wont have to make new inner floors where the wheel wells used to be . Are you going to weld it up , or farm it out to the body shop friend ?
Well, truthfully I was going to do it the same way you did it, but my main reason was kinda bunk. I didn't want to alter the wheel well. Which now when it gets around to it, id way rather modify a fender flare to fit than doing all sorts of patch work. So it worked out that both tubs were twisted up pretty good.

Unfortunately I do not have a welder, but mainly the problem is I don't have sufficient power to weld anything anyway. But yes, It is going over to my body shop buddy tonight, and maybe in a week or so it will be ready to come back and I can fit it to the frame and figure out where everything will go. Then the tub part will go off for paint, and the frame will go out to be built.

Haven't decided if I am going to run a pintle hook or regular ball setup. I am kinda leaning ball simply for universal reasons.

My thought WAS to box in the front part of the tub, however, I think I might do a CJ syle drop down tailgate - that way If I want to toss an axle in it or something I'd have some room to do so. Mainly for time reasons, but also money, I think I am just going to run those low tread 33's on the gambler wheels until I feel like coming off the bones to get Kevlars.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #111
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Well, truthfully I was going to do it the same way you did it, but my main reason was kinda bunk. I didn't want to alter the wheel well. Which now when it gets around to it, id way rather modify a fender flare to fit than doing all sorts of patch work. So it worked out that both tubs were twisted up pretty good.
Fighting bad sheetmetal is tough unless your last name is Hendrix
I went the route I did to avoid messing with the flares !
Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have a welder, but mainly the problem is I don't have sufficient power to weld anything anyway. But yes, It is going over to my body shop buddy tonight, and maybe in a week or so it will be ready to come back and I can fit it to the frame and figure out where everything will go. Then the tub part will go off for paint, and the frame will go out to be built.
I have seen a few people use an extension cord to the dryer to get power for their welder . I cant imagine how much I would have in mine if I paid for the labor , but a professionals labor would be much quicker .

Quote:
Haven't decided if I am going to run a pintle hook or regular ball setup. I am kinda leaning ball simply for universal reasons.
I looked at both of those , and ended up going with a GSPUP/Ruger trailers hitch . It is simple and quiet . JScherbs TSC coupler is also a neat design that is fairly easy to build yourself .
Quote:
My thought WAS to box in the front part of the tub, however, I think I might do a CJ syle drop down tailgate - that way If I want to toss an axle in it or something I'd have some room to do so. Mainly for time reasons, but also money, I think I am just going to run those low tread 33's on the gambler wheels until I feel like coming off the bones to get Kevlars.
On the front tailgate opening I plan on using a bolt in plate to add some rigidity to the front of the tub . The local machine shop is breaking it for me out of some 1/8" steel . I thought about the double tailgate , but the cooler and spare tire mount up front will block it anyways . One last thing to think about is the floor panels arent the strongest , so loading an axle would probably beat the floors up pretty good .
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #112
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Indeed, If I were on the other side of Indy, I would seriously consider asking Hendrix if he would do some body/paint work for me!

Since the last update I was able to take the two sections of tub to my body guy - hopefully it comes back in the next week. Wire wheeled the shock crossmember, as well as removed the shock nuts since all the bolts were broke off in them anyway. Killed what little bit of my Rustoleum Hammer Black to keep the crossmember from getting any worse. I think it's about as far as I can go without having the tub to mock up. Wait, scratch that, I need to change out some of the random bolts I have holding the suspension together with the right ones. I need the upper control arm bolts and nut things at the frame side - don't think I have any of those anywhere.

The Jeep: Mocked up the inner fenders this weekend, removed everything, and now ready to go to the paint shop. Hopefully be picked up tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully back by the end of the weekend. I would just about pee a little in my pants to be able to drive this. We had a real nice day Saturday and I saw some topless Jeeps - made me cry.

I've got a busy this week again - aren't they always - Helping some friends with their vehicles, running errands for family members, and of course daily chores.

EDIT* Oh, I'd hug someone if they could come up with some schematic or something in writing telling a moron like myself how to consolidate the evap canister thing under my hood. I have some space issues now, and until I figure something out, that's just going to lay there I guess.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #113
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Inner and outer fenders, battery trays, headlight rings, windshield plates all off at the paint shop - WOOT .

I know a fellow who's related to a guy who is hooking me up with a great deal on 97% of the items I would need to swap in a AW4. This would quickly kill any thoughts of an LS swap, but I might be ok with that. When looking at costs involved in doing said swap, a stroker might behoove me instead. I dunno, we'll see.
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #114
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Things are flat out not going well right now. No need to be a Debbie downer though I suppose. Got this picture Friday night, but still no call about picking the stuff up....SO it's still not driving.

Unread 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #115
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

(Quote from last year.)
Quote:
You have a pretty awesome build going yourself, so that means a lot thank you. I did see a few guys down there at TFTs with IndyORV stickers - one in particular I "might" have sold the Jeep to him in stock form.. a Moss Green TJ AEV Highlined and a 3.3(?)Cummins. I think I recall a pretty built White TJ, and then a super built Red TJ.
I was the one with the "super built" Red TJ. Not sure what you would consider my new TJ lol

You got a nice clean build going on here. I love the tig welds
I cant wait to see how your trailer turns out.
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #116
hboy828
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Things are flat out not going well right now. No need to be a Debbie downer though I suppose. Got this picture Friday night, but still no call about picking the stuff up....SO it's still not driving.

Sorry to hear. Those fenders sure do look nice though...
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #117
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilovich View Post
(Quote from last year.)

I was the one with the "super built" Red TJ. Not sure what you would consider my new TJ lol

You got a nice clean build going on here. I love the tig welds
I cant wait to see how your trailer turns out.
I know what to call it - Awesome!? Thanks for the kind words. Me either on the trailer, that is one thing that has me blue though, is I am extremely discouraged of it's progress... I need to be pulling it up to Silver Lake June 12th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy828 View Post
Sorry to hear. Those fenders sure do look nice though...
Thank you very much! Can't wait to get my hands on them that is for sure.

BADLANDS MAY 18th!! Our local Jeep club is going down. I ordered the second set of sliders last week - Let's see if they are the right ones this time & if not I'm going anyway.
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #118
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Whelp, all parts back from paint and looking great may I say. I couldn't keep the parts in the back of my wifes yukon, and I couldnt put them in the garage anywhere, so I quickly hung them all on the Jeep. I am very impressed. Ill have to wait to see the sun shining down on all the stuff together, but they might be just a shade off, but I expected that.

This is a teaser picture for now, and yes, I am going to fill that hole with a half moon style stainless bolt. Shoulda had my buddy countersink that, but that's 20/20. I hope to return in a few days with some photos of it on the road!!

Unread 05-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #119
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Looks so clean. Going to suck the first time you bang them on a rock. I was all about color matching my fenders when I get some but after looking at the condition of my flares and paying close attention to how many times they hit rock last time at Rausch Creek, I think I am going to go with black despite how sexy color matching looks. Cannot wait for updates! I love Rokmen fenders!
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #120
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8 View Post
^Looks so clean. Going to suck the first time you bang them on a rock. I was all about color matching my fenders when I get some but after looking at the condition of my flares and paying close attention to how many times they hit rock last time at Rausch Creek, I think I am going to go with black despite how sexy color matching looks. Cannot wait for updates! I love Rokmen fenders!
Thanks bud! I know right? That has been the general consensus so far, but alas, I built/am building the Jeep to go wheeling, so I am going to take the approach that body damage builds character? That's what I keep trying to tell myself anyway. As I was working on it last night, I said to myself: "Self - Do you REALLY want to take this to the Badlands and scratch these pretty fenders?"

Anywho. I was going to try to be all mystical and rad - but who am I kidding. I'll give another teaser shot but it pretty much shows everything. I have 8 holes to drill in the hood tonight - which by the way was freaking STUPID to cut holes in the hood before everything was set. Throw the bumper back on that should be dry by the time I get home, and voila! Except I "might" have gotten the headlights in the wrong sides - is that possible? When on it looks like it has two lazy eyes..

Piss-poor picture, but you get the idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.