A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #46
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

HELP!!

If anybody reads this please help!

The inner fender on the Rokmens - does it go INSIDE the side panel that bolts to the tub?

Also, does the the inner fender bolt to the INSIDE of the top of the fender?(not pictured)

Something isn't quite right.

Toodles.

green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #47
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure the inner fender really matters if its on the inside or the outside of the side panel. I think I may even have one of each , after pulling one of the fenders to do some work it was easier at the time to then have the inner behind the side panel.. But it gives a little cleaner/smoother look to me if its on the outside.

And for the inner fender to outer fender, thats how I have it. Holding up good for me.

Pics are a little small but maybe give a good idea..

Heres the thread that I used for reference too:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ro...build-1101393/

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok rad. What I am going to call the top panel or top of the fender, I have those flipped around. That is probably why I have a heck of a gap.. I'll go get more pics.

P.s. you rock!
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #49
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, next. Correct me if I am wrong but there should be no reason the top panel(top of fender) couldn't be welded to the side panel - OFF THE JEEP. As long as they are strait of course - I can't believe they could be screwed up too bad since they are keyed. I feel this would be 1000x's easier to manhandle the whole ordeal.

Finished for the night. Poor picture, but believe it or not the pic looked better without the flash.

Unread 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #50
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What I did was mock it all up with the tubes and all. Used some clamps and make them as perfect as I could and got a bunch of tack welds to hold them together. Well my neighbor did, and since he couldn't fully weld them that day, I took them off and he did it as his schedule permitted. Fit fine afterward.

Just tack em up good.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #51
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do any of the welding on the fenders?

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #52
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately no. I am in Detroit at our Corporate office helping out with their migration from Novell to Active Directory. I am hoping to be home tonight.
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #53
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Whelp, trying to inspire myself on my next direction. Pretty much every direction I would like to go at this point is going to be decent money. Once the fenders go together I don't want much more down time so I can drive it and whatnot yet this year.

I am going to talk this out/ramble:

1. Pretty easy, I'd like to figure out the shocks - i.e. get a little more movement out of the axles - the rear is almost sad. The front I could cut the top of the shock towers out and toy with that F250 thing. The rear I could outboard. However, If I am going to outboard I'd really like to be stretching at the same time.. Would probably like to fix the coil buckets at the same time.

2. Get the rest of the cage built - that will be pretty easy, and likely one of the next steps.

3. Gears/rear locker. I probably should step it up to 4.56's - Ill keep the lunchbox in the front, but the rear Id like to go with the incredicble Detroit or possibly spend a bit more and go with an OX. I don't want arb, nor an e-locker.

4. Motor. Motor has low oil pressure, something needs to be done about it. I really have my heart set on an LS swap - easy bolt up to my trans, but I'd really really prefer going Auto which is more work. I plan though to go until it pops.

5. Trans. Presuming that I were to keep the 4.0, I'd really like to do the AW4 swap...Wiring not my thing, so i'd have to take it somewhere reputable for them to do the wiring. In which case, if I go this route - will 4.56's be too much - I'd like to drive it on the street and don't want it all wound up.

6. Flat belly. This opens a small can of worms - and money. I am semi opposed to a body lift - though it would make it possible for a literal flat belly. Add MM lift, SYE, driveshaft, gas skid.

7. Rear Stretch. SYE, driveshaft, gas tank(must retain rear seat), truss for 44, link mounts, links, JJ's or the likes, antirock, modify frame, coil buckets, outboard, longer shocks, new corner guards, new or modified sliders. The positive here is I could sell off a bunch of the great used parts - but still large chunk of change. Truthfully though, this is probably for me just a cool factor - the few times a year I wheel is it really worth the extra expense?

8. Drop down tailgate/Swing out. I have some armor in the works for the tailgate, but that rokmen tailgate is pretty freakin cool. I like the idea of the compartment so that stuff isnt flopping around. I am anal, so the big gaping holes that my corners would leave would need flilled in or something, then those would need refinished. The main goal here however is the swing out tire carrier. It will be a corner mounted unit - similar to like an orfab or whatever that encases the tire. JJ mounts, some sort of latch on the drivers side. Want the tire up and out of the way.

Thats about all I could think of that I would be really interested in doing. I do often start thinking about tons, but again, other than a cool factor this is pointless for me..
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #54
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Janesy I believe you are about the only one to reads this! Oh well.

Chopped the other side of the hood tonight while it was semi warm - snow storm on the way though. The top plates of the fenders are welded to the side plates. A buddy of mine that does fab work on the side is supposed to be hooking me up with a little mini welder so I can tack the fenders together - sometime this week. I think I was getting overwhelmed by the whole deal, but browsing through some Rokmen pictures I noticed they set up the fenders without the inners, so I figured I could do the same! Feels a lot simpler to me that way.. Still though, Ill tack them together, send off to be tig'd, then fully assemble to make sure all is well, then send the outers off to paint, inners off to powercoat, then hopefully done, with that part anyway.

Poor pictures, sun was stairing me in the face.

Unread 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #55
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Janesy I believe you are about the only one to reads this! Oh well.

Chopped the other side of the hood tonight while it was semi warm - snow storm on the way though. The top plates of the fenders are welded to the side plates. A buddy of mine that does fab work on the side is supposed to be hooking me up with a little mini welder so I can tack the fenders together - sometime this week. I think I was getting overwhelmed by the whole deal, but browsing through some Rokmen pictures I noticed they set up the fenders without the inners, so I figured I could do the same! Feels a lot simpler to me that way.. Still though, Ill tack them together, send off to be tig'd, then fully assemble to make sure all is well, then send the outers off to paint, inners off to powercoat, then hopefully done, with that part anyway.

Poor pictures, sun was stairing me in the face.

No... he's not the only one. I'm a follower.
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #56
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haha, HOLY CRAP, a live one!! Good to know bud, thanks!

Part duh of the evening: Pulled the headlight housings out since I had to do it anyway to do the Rokmen hood pins. Pulled off the fogs as they are likely going away. Pulled the frame/sway bar cover, and pulled out a piece of scrap that I had originally intended once upon a time to do just this - Truthfully I am wanting to build a new bumper, so this might be temporary - but this will get welded to the bumper, notched for the lower grill section, and this is what my grill hoop will weld to. Going to be doing the same idea as BTF, Genright, and others.

All for now. Well, not sure to leave the grill the current color, or go flat black. Still gotta cut for the clear JK turns as well.

Unread 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #57
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Little to update. Started working on the hood pins this weekend, which didn't go so hot, but I'll wait to hear back from Rokmen and see if we can't remedy the situation.

I sold the PSC hood louver deal. The wife didn't like it.

My buddy thus far has hosed me out of a welder, so that isn't done yet.

Ordered my JK turn signals today - but the lense color I picked is going to be a surprize.

That's about it.
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #58
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Build! where did you order JK turn signals?
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #59
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOE1914 View Post
Nice Build! where did you order JK turn signals?
Thanks a lot! Actually got them for a steal on ebay!

Jeff from Rokmen personally called me to address a situation I had with one of my hood pins. I am happy to report great customer service for resolving my problem. Long story short somehow when I was taking the nylock off to remove the pin for paint, the silly thing cross threaded - ended up smoking the pin itself, nylock, and adjusting nut.. Anywho, thanks again Rokmen!

Fenders supposedly to be welded up this Saturday. My fab buddy bailed on me, so I called another fellow that works for a big local welding outfit.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #60
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Fenders supposedly to be welded up this Saturday. My fab buddy bailed on me, so I called another fellow that works for a big local welding outfit.
Sucks about the other guy. Looking forward to the pics!

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.