A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #166
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Wowsa's! With it being completely flat like that, can it be done WITHOUT a body lift?

Mainly I am wanting to get rid of a few vibes, but I realize this will come with a cost. SYE, Driveshaft, Novak cable shifter, then whatever a belly pan would cost. I noticed Barnes makes a really affordable skid in different sizes.
i dont want to clutter up your build, you can see details in my build thread.

with the 231 T-case it might be possible without the BL. my 42RLE is so big it wouldnt have been an option for me. I let the trans dent the firewall a little, then gave it about 1/4" clearance. even then the trans pan sticks down a bit, as seen in the picutre above.

maybe just a 1/2" BL vs a 1" or 1.25"BL

with the crossmember in place the sole purpose of the skid plate is to act as a skid plate. so it is relatively easy to make your own. if you have the room it can be flat, but if your like me it will have to be dropped down a little bit.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #167
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'll check it out, thanks for the reply. I had been considering going to 1" coils, at which point a 1" body lift wouldnt be bad, I'd still be sitting less than my current 2.5"(arguably less with all the extra armor weight).

Hmm. Guess I've got to do some research!
green50gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #168
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll check it out, thanks for the reply. I had been considering going to 1" coils, at which point a 1" body lift wouldnt be bad, I'd still be sitting less than my current 2.5"(arguably less with all the extra armor weight).

Hmm. Guess I've got to do some research!
the "so you want a tummy tuck" thread is pretty good.

alot can be done with the UCF skid and low-pro mount or the savvy UA. I think i have as much money into my entire tummy tuck as some people have in skid plates for the TT. i needed everything from stock drivetrain to TT (SYE, Tom woods DS, Novak shifter, upper CA, crossmember kit and steel). I have about $1k into it.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #169
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

With the UCF ultra high clearance skid and the 231 you can avoid a body lift and use the lopro mount and be done.

Still need adjustable arms to mess with the pinion angle and a Novak wouldn't hurt
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #170
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I will check that out thread thanks! Man, I am not sure I can justify a grand for a few inches of clearance to be honest, but Ill see what I can come up with.

I do have adjustables currently so thats at least one item checked off the list.
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #171
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

$1k is def hard to swallow, but it really makes a huge difference. I've been able to do a lot more without getting hung up on that shovel. I've even been scraping the Savvy UA quite a bit recently too, so right there I know I wouldn't have made a lot of the lines I've been doing.

Luckily I was able to score a lot of the TT items used for relatively cheap. Otherwise I think the Barnes skid would have been the route I would have taken for the skid itself.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #172
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tummy tucks arent cheap , but not dragging the shovel is priceless ...
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #173
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well guys I appreciate the comments and assistance, but I don't think it's worth it for me at this time to be getting the tummy all tucked up. 1. I don't wheel enough to see the advantage. 2. The rare wheeling I get to do dragging tummy isn't really an issue..

Kind of a mute point anyway. I sold the XJ and am sitting on some cash, but purchasing another TJ as a short time driver/flipper, and will need all my cash for that.

This weekend our Jeep club had their annual club picnic. Held on some private land with all sorts of things to do - plus some light trail riding.. I had just shined the Jeep up so I wasn't really wanting to do anything more than a nature trail. Took a wrong turn and drive up a wall more or less - got my tires muddy so got me thinking. I am bad about peer pressure: There was a creek crossing that NOBODY had gotten across yet - muddy and yucky! So finally I decided to give it a try - all the other rigs were milder than mine so I thought I had a fighting change. I am glad to report that I made it farther than anyone, but alas, had to get winched... Probably would have been fine but I didn't have enough wheel speed - and there was a railroad tie stuck in front of my back tires..

No pics just of some aftermath. Doesn't look bad, but she was burried.

Other than that I placed 2nd in a cornhole tournament - won some ratcheting wrenches! Hit the RTI ramp and that was just plain sad..

Next mods, $ permitting, outboard/High flares/bumpstop removal.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #174
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled my rubi flares for another TJ I am doing, thought it looked neat sans flares but how annoying - crap flying up, dirty - don't see how people do it..

Since it was not something I appreciated very much, I took the rear flares from my other project and threw them on here for the time being.. Need to cut them a bit to keep from rubbing, but whatever. Next step is high lines!

Unread 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #175
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It does look nice without the flares ... almost worth the flinging mud and various items on the highway .
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #176
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I avoid mud like the plague, but it still is an inconvenience sometimes. Sure love the looks and not having anything to hang up on the rocks though
Holaday is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #177
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My prototype dash plates are done finally. I sold a Jeep for a buddy and he hooked me up with these plates that I've been dying to get my hands on.

The plan is to buy some clamps from poly performance or the likes and make it so I can pull the whole front section out. Bolt it to the cage up by the top of the windshield - but everything else be solid. I am not entirely sure what that means for the dash bar though. Now that my windshield doesn't fold over that design might be difficult.

Nonetheless though I have ZERO money - until my other Jeep sells, so I can't do anything. Been a rough year for whatever reason.. Rear flares still aso on the agenda sometime.
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #178
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well in an absolutely crazy last week, both the Jeep and trailer are sold. Have no fear though, this just means I'm going after a Rubicon! Thanks to all who followed and participated in the build, it was fun!
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #179
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well in an absolutely crazy last week, both the Jeep and trailer are sold. Have no fear though, this just means I'm going after a Rubicon! Thanks to all who followed and participated in the build, it was fun!
Wow that's a quick change of events. Hopefully your hunt for a Rubicon will not take too long. Will you build another trailer ? At this point it would be very difficult for me to sell my trailer as much work as I have in it.
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #180
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, big changes! I'll be looking forward to the new build once you find a new rig!

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.