A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Indiana Silvertone TJ & Trailer build

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #151
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That was a heck of a deal , should make it a little easier to tow your trailer .

Unread 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #152
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Well folks, I am sad to report the trailer DID NOT make the trip up north. I did pull it to South Bend to the in laws house and quickly determined it would have not been a good time to travel 3 hours with it. My TJ simply didn't have the guts to pull the extra weight. So... Looks like probably the next mod will be gears.
Nice trailer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Nice pictures , and I am in the same boat with gearing . I dont want to go to low or high and I only want to re gear once . We were in Michigan City last week , and I so wanted to turn North to play in the sand .

As far as you two whinning about gearing ...I drive my trailer up the hills here in CO with 3.73 gearing and 35's and I'm actually happy with how it does. I'm guessing you both have autos though.

Anyways keep up the good work I look forward to seeing it painted.
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #153
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
As far as you two whining about gearing ...I drive my trailer up the hills here in CO with 3.73 gearing and 35's and I'm actually happy with how it does. I'm guessing you both have autos though.
I have a six speed ,33s and 4.10s and I hated going up through the Rockies. You must be a sadist
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #154
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing new... Was supposed to get the gears installed this week but my guy had something going on. Now planning for July 23rd..

We've got stupid high humidity right now. The kids and I went out "trail riding" Saturday morning before it got too hot. I am kinda dumb sometimes: A. My son just barely knows how to ride a bike so trail riding was interesting. B. We have had lots of rain as of late so it was muddy. C. We were in the woods - with bugs - my daughter is highly alergic to mosquitos....I forgot bug spray. D. It was still like 85 degrees. /Sigh/ Mother was displeased with my decision!

Anywho, here is my ghetto bike rack, and the Jeep...

green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #155
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How bad is it sleeping in the doghouse with all this humidity ?

Couldnt you have used the trailer to haul the bikes locally ?
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #156
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Probably, if it was legal..

Picked up a "built" JK Rubi front 44 axle housing - Paid $50 bucks for it. It has been sleeved and gusseted, and supposedly some kind of high end ball joints - snyergy or something like that. Bad news is it has a slight bend to it - so it might have to go to somewhere like Branik or the likes to get straitened out, then likely a TNT TJ truss on it? I haven't really paid attention to JK stuff so gotta start soaking up information..
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #157
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You mentioned some Genright highline rear flares before. I am anxious to see how those look with the Rokmen fronts. That was my plan A for a looong time now. Plan B is slightly different. Would you do steel or Al?
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #158
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the genright high flares are up next after the gears. I almost bought them over 4th of July due to deep discounts, but I bought another gun instead..

I am cheap so I'm going steel. The plan is to buy new corners and have my fab guy tig them, but that's still a lot of money. I do have a buyer lined up for my current corners, so we'll see I guess.

Well wait, I'm not sure what's next actually. My dash plates for the front cage are supposed to be done any time now?
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #159
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Picked up a "built" JK Rubi front 44 axle housing - Paid $50 bucks for it. It has been sleeved and gusseted, and supposedly some kind of high end ball joints - snyergy or something like that. Bad news is it has a slight bend to it - so it might have to go to somewhere like Branik or the likes to get straitened out, then likely a TNT TJ truss on it? I haven't really paid attention to JK stuff so gotta start soaking up information..
If you can get the JK axle squared up you got a heck of a deal .
Quote:

I am cheap so I'm going steel. The plan is to buy new corners and have my fab guy tig them, but that's still a lot of money. I do have a buyer lined up for my current corners, so we'll see I guess.
Have you thought about having the fab guy make the rear flares?
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #160
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Actually I had not thought of having someone make flares, Good thought!

Say what?

Grand Rapids locker!

Kinda hard to tell, but the gear pattern spot on the first shot!

Rear done, 4.56 and a Detroit. Oh my, Detroits are SO worth the money if you ask me. This is my second Detroit, first one was in an auto so I was slightly concerned about driving with a stick. I will have to change my driving style every so slightly, but I could take someone for a ride and they wouldn't know it was there. Very very smooth for a full on locker. Night and day difference from this to say a lock right or the likes.

Driving is noticeably better, I can actually pass someone in 5th gear!! At 60 miles per our, I jumped from 1900rpms to at most 2100 rpms - very comfortable crusing.

Install went very well, discovered my rear brakes are shot so that will have to be addressed. Yep. Shooting for next week most likely for the front install.
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #161
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Poor pictures, but front is done.. I am not sure what makes me more happy, the gears, or the fact that both pinion seals have been replaced

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #162
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do it right the first time! I KNEW I should have replaced the front axle seals while I had it apart! This morning in the garage as I was putting my shoes on I noticed a puddle under the drivers side by the tire - I suspected gear oil - indeed. Maybe I over-filled it, but more than likely the seal is in poor condition. Dang it Jim!

Next up, not real sure. Either high line rear flares, and/or outboarding the rear shocks - but really the two are going to have to coinside. If I could sell my flipping Cherokee I am considering flattening the belly and installing a SYE.
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #163
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do it right the first time! I KNEW I should have replaced the front axle seals while I had it apart! This morning in the garage as I was putting my shoes on I noticed a puddle under the drivers side by the tire - I suspected gear oil - indeed. Maybe I over-filled it, but more than likely the seal is in poor condition. Dang it Jim!

Next up, not real sure. Either high line rear flares, and/or outboarding the rear shocks - but really the two are going to have to coinside. If I could sell my flipping Cherokee I am considering flattening the belly and installing a SYE.
Flat bellys are where it's at Very expensive though.
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #164
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Flat bellys are where it's at Very expensive though.
agreed. well worth the price. you can save some serious money if you can do it yourself. I would reccomend doing a seperate crossmember though. that way you can drive around without any skids like this...

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #165
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
agreed. well worth the price. you can save some serious money if you can do it yourself. I would reccomend doing a seperate crossmember though. that way you can drive around without any skids like this...

Wowsa's! With it being completely flat like that, can it be done WITHOUT a body lift?

Mainly I am wanting to get rid of a few vibes, but I realize this will come with a cost. SYE, Driveshaft, Novak cable shifter, then whatever a belly pan would cost. I noticed Barnes makes a really affordable skid in different sizes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.