A Indiana CJ Rubicon Build! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Indiana CJ Rubicon Build!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #91
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Nice meeting you today! Love the cj grill!

You have a laser buddy huh? Hint hint...
Nice meeting you as well! Had you not said something I wouldn't have put two and two together - your jeep was muddy enough it wasn't really recognizable!

Yes, I am picking up what you are putting down - we may be talking in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I didn't see you today....but then again my Jeep was parked for half the day. So you wouldn't have know what to look for to find me anyway.
Well, it wasn't for a lack of trying. I spied 2 yellow TJ's and neither of them were you.

Well.. I for the most part had a less than desireable day. BUT, the Jeep went every place I pointed it, although somewhat mild after my first incident..

My son and I drove down to Attica Friday night at stayed at Hotel Attica(IIRC) and stayed with a group of 3 other guys from my local Jeep club. There was one other air mattress not shown. It wasn't the worst nights sleep I had ever had...but pretty freakin close.

Saturday morning woke up to 13 degrees!

Had to get a starting photo of my buddy before we got after it

Another pic we tried to duplicate from last year

Some posing

Here is where things went south. Shame on me for 1. Being Cocky. 2. Not waiting for others. Notice the big rock under the front?

Yep, I got hung up. Driveshaft, oil pan dented, trans pan dented, front of skid in a U shape now, exhaust pushed up. Awesome.

After that took it mildly easy. Went down barbed wire and dropped into the ravine. Got to the end to get out and a tree was down, so had to turn around. Jesse, the guy that bought my last LCG TJ showed up and had never been there before, so showed him around here and there.

Irony picture number 1.

I am sure this little crawl has a name, but I don't know what it is.

After that, pretty much headed up front for lunch. Irony picture number 2.

Speaking of which, Here has what my old Jeep has been up to. Jesse put some black KMC wheels on it, some color matched full doors, and other than that just odd n' end stuff I didn't get to. Jeep looks really good. I do miss it, but not saturday - the stick shift, the all the time locked axles. I fell in love with the auto and selectables..

So after lunch we didn't do a lot if I recall, a mild trail or two, mostly took pictures. Found this wild wolf with a collar running around! When degan got out of the jeep the dog got all sorts of excited and ran over to him - so he obviously lived in a home with kids. That was neat to see.

While I was watching people in the quarry, Degan was being a boy.

We headed back to the office around 1 or so. My fun day continued when I forgot to put my valve stem caps back on and water had frozen in ends. Had to borrow a lighter and get those cleared out so we could air up. Then more photos. Deeg was quite delighted for the two monster trucks that were sitting out..

Dad even got in on the rare photo opp. I know what your're thinking - but I am married, sorry.

Again, in a bit of a ritual, an ending photo.

So now. I may push off gearing a while as I now need to buy myself a new belly skid. I looked through the "so you want a flat belly" thread. I don't want to do a body lift - not because I think it's hard or whatever - I just don't want to be sitting an inch higher.

Several people chimed in on my last build, but now it is time to revist the skid thing. The Rokmen skid is possible - but then I need a 1/2" body lift. Also looked at UCF no bl skid - that seems economical. Looked at DV8 - super nice and economically priced, but it needs a 1" BL.

With the UCF I am not sure if I re-use my stock mount, or if I have to buy their low pro? Then I don't know if I can get a flatter skid but purchase the low pro mount? I'd also like to not have to purchas the cable shifter if I don't have to. Looking for economical. Flame on.

green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #92
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the low world. Armor up time. I run the UCF super low (with BL) and their lo pro mount and engine skid.... it just is stupid strong imo. I have rested my jeep on it multiple times on my one wheeling trip with it so far with no complains.

Did you rub any in the rear? I have open my rear wheel well a bit more.
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #93
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

UCF makes a skid with no BL or lopro required then another needing just the lopro and the lastly a skid that requires both. Simply depends how high you want to tuck.

If you dont want to purchase a cable shifter then just get the regular skid but you wont gain much clearance.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #94
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ouch. My Skidrow skid has taken a beating and is still ticking, it is attached to the stock turtle...I'll go flatter some day, but there's so much involved in doing that right.

This trip I toasted the driver side front axle shaft (inner and outer), the time before that I broke my windshield (well my daughter's head did). These trips ain't cheap. lol.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #95
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Welcome to the low world. Armor up time. I run the UCF super low (with BL) and their lo pro mount and engine skid.... it just is stupid strong imo. I have rested my jeep on it multiple times on my one wheeling trip with it so far with no complains.

Did you rub any in the rear? I have open my rear wheel well a bit more.
Just a smidge, it's bumpstopped pretty well, but i do have some light trimming until I can come upon a more permanent solution of high lining and outboarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
UCF makes a skid with no BL or lopro required then another needing just the lopro and the lastly a skid that requires both. Simply depends how high you want to tuck.

If you dont want to purchase a cable shifter then just get the regular skid but you wont gain much clearance.
I noticed that. So with the middle depth one, if using the low pro mount can you get away with no BL? I presume the motor would not need to be lifted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Ouch. My Skidrow skid has taken a beating and is still ticking, it is attached to the stock turtle...I'll go flatter some day, but there's so much involved in doing that right.

This trip I toasted the driver side front axle shaft (inner and outer), the time before that I broke my windshield (well my daughter's head did). These trips ain't cheap. lol.
Which leads me to another thought - I am new to this 03-06 thing. I've wheeled a number of 97-02 TJ's, enough where I hit way harder on the skid and NEVER had bendage issues like that. Are the 03-06 skids really that bad or was this just a fluke?

I didnt see any pics of your damage Jeff, but that is defintely a bummer!

I suppose if I indeed were to put in a 1" body lift that could allow me to loose some bumpstop in the rear - which wouldn't be all bad.

Worst case scenario:
MML
Cable Shifter
Flat skid
1" BL

Best case scenario:
Heavy duty slightly increased clearance skid

There is roughly a $400 difference there, and thats still not accounting for an engine skid.

Bah humbug, decisions decisions. I have some more research to do.
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #96
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
I noticed that. So with the middle depth one, if using the low pro mount can you get away with no BL? I presume the motor would not need to be lifted?

If you only use the lopro you will not need to move the motor.

Worst case scenario:
MML
Cable Shifter
Flat skid
1" BL

Best case scenario:
Heavy duty slightly increased clearance skid

see above
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #97
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lu your thumb locations have been duely noted!

I wasn't going to say anything because it wasn't completely consistent, but I can now say that one of my back - brand new mind you - RC 2.2 shocks is stuck nearly collapsed. It makes for an interesting ride. Going to try to get with the place I bought the kit from and see what options I have. It isn't leaking, I don't think I could have bent it, but it started at the badlands.

Next, I have located a barely used lo-pro trans mount from a semi local JF member at a great price so there will be some money saved there. I thought I had a 1" BL scored at an equally as good deal but it sold like 2 days before my inquiry.

Lastly, I believe I am down to 2 options for the skid situation:

1. UCF's middle skid, used in conjunction with the lo-pro. If I am understanding it correctly, I would not need a BL, maybe a MML, and a cable shifter is recommended.

2. I am in talks with a semi local fabrication shop that has interest in using my Rubicon as a prototype for skids they are making. This option would be the most cost effective - help both of us out, but I'd be without my Jeep for a week and in turn have some transportation issues.
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #98
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just trying to understand here...you don't want a high clearance skid because of a BL ? I understand the logic that you don't want to go any higher but how about shorter springs, at least in the front ? Maybe more work that you want. As anyone with a flattish skid will tell you, it's a game changer.

What will the UCF middle skid gain you in clearance ? Call UCF, they are very friendly and will tell you exactly how much you can tuck with what parts you have.
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #99
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my heavily biased opinion, so take it for what it's worth. IMO, a BL is pretty much a necessity when building an LCG rig the right way, unless you want to do a lot of sheet metal tub work. You need to get the drivetrain as high as you can. You said it yourself that even the 2" reduction in lift was, cosmetically, hard to notice back on the previous page. 1" will be even less noticeable. Your ride improved with lowering the 2", but the body lift won't mess with that at all since you're not messing with the suspension components.

If you went with option #2, you could add the minimal amount of shims for a transfer case drop to get everything to clear & probably still be at or maybe less than the UCF skid & still have the option to do a BL & tuck it all the way if you change your mind in the future.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #100
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Just trying to understand here...you don't want a high clearance skid because of a BL ? I understand the logic that you don't want to go any higher but how about shorter springs, at least in the front ? Maybe more work that you want. As anyone with a flattish skid will tell you, it's a game changer.
That logic has my ride height where it is. BL with super TT from ucf with their mount. stock springs and a 1" poly boost. I wanted 2" of lift or less for 35s. super tummy tuck only hangs like 1" below frame.

If you do the medium tuck with no BL, your frame will be higher but you will hang lower in the middle and probably have the same net clearance. I did it this way since I am in a LJ.

Quote:
What will the UCF middle skid gain you in clearance ? Call UCF, they are very friendly and will tell you exactly how much you can tuck with what parts you have.
They are great to talk to. Not to pushy or try to sell you anything from my experience.
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #101
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind as well, that the 42rle and the 241 are biiig. For me to bolt up the Savvy UA with the 1.25" BL I still needed to hammer the tub up a bit above the Tcase. And the trans pan has not too much room between it and the skid either...

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #102
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post

Let's say a BL is $125, that money is going to gain me what, another 1" at the belly? If the skid is stout I don't mind dragging it across stuff - this was maybe the 3rd time I wheeled in 2013. Yes, I had concern about not wanting to go higher. You make a great, valid, point about the springs. I would be totally with you if I hadn't just put that lift in there and got it all aligned.

UCF.. Yes I will give them a call. I am somehow connected to the owner Matt via linkedin - I asked him some questions yesterday but I didn't get the answers I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Here's my heavily biased opinion, so take it for what it's worth. IMO, a BL is pretty much a necessity when building an LCG rig the right way, unless you want to do a lot of sheet metal tub work. You need to get the drivetrain as high as you can. You said it yourself that even the 2" reduction in lift was, cosmetically, hard to notice back on the previous page. 1" will be even less noticeable. Your ride improved with lowering the 2", but the body lift won't mess with that at all since you're not messing with the suspension components.

If you went with option #2, you could add the minimal amount of shims for a transfer case drop to get everything to clear & probably still be at or maybe less than the UCF skid & still have the option to do a BL & tuck it all the way if you change your mind in the future.
Dan +1, Derek 0. Ok, let me process the words you are typing. I like what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
That logic has my ride height where it is. BL with super TT from ucf with their mount. stock springs and a 1" poly boost. I wanted 2" of lift or less for 35s. super tummy tuck only hangs like 1" below frame.

If you do the medium tuck with no BL, your frame will be higher but you will hang lower in the middle and probably have the same net clearance. I did it this way since I am in a LJ.

They are great to talk to. Not to pushy or try to sell you anything from my experience.
Ok, so after checking UCF's website mid reply, here is what I came up with:

No BL skid - 1-1/2" shorter than stock, 3" overall.
Extra clearance - 2-1/2" shorter than stock, 2" overall.
Ultra clearance - 3-1/2" shorter than stock, 1" overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Keep in mind as well, that the 42rle and the 241 are biiig. For me to bolt up the Savvy UA with the 1.25" BL I still needed to hammer the tub up a bit above the Tcase. And the trans pan has not too much room between it and the skid either...
Noted, thanks buddy!

I appreciate everyone's feedback and patience. I don't mean to be difficult at all, I am just trying to justify spending extra money on additional items needed when I only go wheeling a couple times a year. I hope that makes sense.

Now, the semi local place I was talking about is DV8 Offroad Fabrication. I am speaking to the owner about all this as well. I wasn't sure what I could and could not say hence being mum about it. They have been ridicously helpful thus far!
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #103
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The DV8 skid says non Rubicon... And Danno is the man behind DV8 or so I believe.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #104
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
I would be totally with you if I hadn't just put that lift in there and got it all aligned.

Ok, so after checking UCF's website mid reply, here is what I came up with:

No BL skid - 1-1/2" shorter than stock, 3" overall.
Extra clearance - 2-1/2" shorter than stock, 2" overall.
Ultra clearance - 3-1/2" shorter than stock, 1" overall.
Totally understandable that you want to keep the height as is at the moment.

Even the No BL skid is a huge upgrade and it would be a very simple task, gaining ground clearance and strength.
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #105
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
The DV8 skid says non Rubicon... And Danno is the man behind DV8 or so I believe.
He going to help adapt the skid to also fit the Rubicon.

If he decides on DV8 that is. He can't really go wrong with a UCF skid either.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.