Indecision 2.0: A TJ dedicated for abuse. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Indecision 2.0: A TJ dedicated for abuse.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Indecision 2.0: A TJ dedicated for abuse.

Some people say I have ADD when it comes to Jeeps. Actually, I have ADD when it comes to everything since, well, I have ADD.

I picked up a pair of 5.9 ZJ's. The intention was to make one of them a wheeler and one a DD. Laying under it, thinking about unibody sitffeners, link mounts, etc made me depressed. That and trying to keep the sheet metal from looking like a crushed pop can meant something of an exo-cage and I'm not very fond of those....

So I cruised craigslist and found this little beauty for $2500.

A few small things wrong with it, pretty large dent in the back of the tub, and a bad water pump. Usually something like this (especially with a 4.0) goes for around $4K plus around here easy.

I already picked some axles up for the ZJ, and will use them on the TJ instead.

The front is a 2005 Superduty D60. Massive breaks, 3.75" tubes, 35 spline inners and outers, giant knucles, etc.

Rear is a 2003 Ford Sterling 10.5. 35 Spline full float, disk brakes with e-brake etc.

Budget is going to be much tighter than the last rig. I really don't want to be wheeling a $35K+ Jeep again.

Unread 11-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tentative plan

Even though this is a budget build, this Jeep has an AX-15 manual trans. Good trans, but I hate wheeling manuals.

So...

A: I could swap an AW4. Quick and easy, cheap, great transmission.

B: I could yank the 5.9, and 46RE out of the ZJ and stuff it in. Torque city, reliable, a bit on the heavy side.

C: Sell the ZJ and drop in a LM7 5.3 out of a chevy with a 4l60E. More horsepower, lighter weight, better fuel economy, aftermarket city.

Steering: I'm thinking hydro assist with a tapped stock box and maybe hotrod the stock pump.

Suspension: 3 link front, single triangulated 4 link rear, Currie 1.25" shank JJ's, 2" .25" wall rectangular tube lowers, 1.75" .120" wall DOM uppers.

Wheelbase will be 100"+ 37" tires, 17" bead locks, 80" track width.

You know, pretty much just another TJ on tons.
Unread 11-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
2fastwhitey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

your my idol!
Your gonna have fun cutting all the cast off of the driver side pumpkin for the radius arm,
Im building my tj now on a set of 04 axles and using coil and shock, also have a buddy trying to get an 05+ to work, cant wait to see progress
2fastwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the mounts are mild steel? I have a plasma, so it should come off pretty easy.

My last build was with an 03 axle. It was missing brakes and a unit bearing, plus it needed ball joints. This axle is complete with calipers, so it should save me some cash.
Unread 11-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post

C: Sell the ZJ and drop in a LM7 5.3 out of a chevy with a 4l60E. More horsepower, lighter weight, better fuel economy, aftermarket city.

Steering: I'm thinking hydro assist with a tapped stock box and maybe hotrod the stock pump.

Suspension: 3 link front, single triangulated 4 link rear, Currie 1.25" shank JJ's, 2" .25" wall rectangular tube lowers, 1.75" .120" wall DOM uppers.

Wheelbase will be 100"+ 37" tires, 17" bead locks, 80" track width.

You know, pretty much just another TJ on tons.
Coming around full circle eh? I dig the tentative plan

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Coming around full circle eh? I dig the tentative plan
I'm going to have a pretty big feeling of Deja vu with this build.
Unread 11-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This should be fun. They always are.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What a steal on the jeep itself! That right there is saving a ton. So the other one sold.
Unread 11-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
This should be fun. They always are.
I'm hoping this will be my last Jeep build for awhile. I've been itching to do something street orientated for awhile.
Unread 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'd do C if I was starting from scratch. You have the opportunity to make it all play nicely!
jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
What a steal on the jeep itself! That right there is saving a ton. So the other one sold.
I know, how could I NOT buy it? I never imagined I would be able to DRIVE HOME a TJ with a 4.0 for anywhere close to $2500. It's probably the 5th or 6th time I had a seller tell me they had to take an ad down because they've had so much interest.

I'm going to rob the stock springs off the white one and put the lift springs on it, take care of a few issues and sell it.
Unread 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
I'd do C if I was starting from scratch. You have the opportunity to make it all play nicely!
That's the way I'm leaning toward so far.
Unread 11-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

To avoid having to cut the oval tubed rear axle I have down, AND keep a 80" track width, I need to have deep backspaced wheels. Problem with deep backspaced wheels are they interfere with high steer... Unless the wheel is bigger like a 20. Ford has some pretty interesting stock 20" wheels that I could run until the money fairy brings me more money for beadlocks, and Nitto has a 12.50" wide 37" high tire for them. Load range E though.

Am I being stupid in even thinking about it?
00000_9aukanvw4gq_600x450.jpg

Unread 11-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
84jeepcj7rock

Didn't someone say you can cut it and sleeve it with round tube. You'll be running 1 psi with "E" range tires. Lol
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Didn't someone say you can cut it and sleeve it with round tube. You'll be running 1 psi with "E" range tires. Lol
Paul cut his down by turning some tube down to fit inside. I don't have a lathe, so I'm going to call Jantz and see if he will do it.

Not to excited about the tire choices for 20" wheels. Plus I'm not sure I'd like the look... Off to do more research.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.