Impact Orange LJ - Page 84 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #1246
kyle_craig
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White Bear Laaake, Minnesooota
Posts: 2,599
That CJ gate will be sweet! How will you open it with the hard top?

kyle_craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #1247
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
That CJ gate will be sweet! How will you open it with the hard top?
I think I would just close the tailgate and let the hardtop glass shut over it. I know it isnt the best set up, but the hardtop will be off for most of the time.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s


Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #1248
kyle_craig
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White Bear Laaake, Minnesooota
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I think I would just close the tailgate and let the hardtop glass shut over it. I know it isnt the best set up, but the hardtop will be off for most of the time.
I hear ya! I don't have a hard top so I wasn't sure.
kyle_craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #1249
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I hear ya! I don't have a hard top so I wasn't sure.
And I think I will be able to still use the soft top with the tailgate too. I think it will snap into the rear channel (removed b/c of hardtop) that screws into the tub in the back on either side of the tailgate opening.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s


Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #1250
LA-Sahara
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Posts: 1,416
I think you need some latches for it. I don't possibly see how the soft top channel would hold it, and I the tailgate is what's supposed to hold the hardtop window down.
LA-Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #1251
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
I think you need some latches for it. I don't possibly see how the soft top channel would hold it, and I the tailgate is what's supposed to hold the hardtop window down.
There are latches inside the tailgate that secure it shut to the tub. When running the hardtop, the window will come down and the struts should be enough to hold it in place while driving. When running the softtop or tonneau, the bar that goes across the top of the tailgate opening will snap into their female counterparts after the tailgate is shut.

I know the tailgate is supposed to hold the rear window down on the hardtop.... But this jeep is not exactly stock anymore so certain compromises will have to be made to make parts from an '80s era jeep fit with the '06 hardtop on the '05 tub that I have.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s


Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #1252
LA-Sahara
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Posts: 1,416
Ah, ok. You are planning on using the stock CJ latches. Thought you meant you would rely on the rear window to hold it closed.

Struts won't be enough to hold the window down. While we were at Sicily Ryan's window kept popping open even with the tailgate over it. (Or maybe he didn't have it over it, but it was still popping open)

I agree on the compromise, that's why I would think you'd just get some external latches.
LA-Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #1253
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Ah, ok. You are planning on using the stock CJ latches. Thought you meant you would rely on the rear window to hold it closed.

Struts won't be enough to hold the window down. While we were at Sicily Ryan's window kept popping open even with the tailgate over it. (Or maybe he didn't have it over it, but it was still popping open)

I agree on the compromise, that's why I would think you'd just get some external latches.
Gotcha. I will probably never wheel with the hardtop on at si. I only did that for the local trail riding around here. I think I closed the back window over the swing out tailgate I have once while dd-ing and didn't notice it for a couple days until I needed something out. If it doesn't work that way, back to the drawing boards. I still need to wire up the back wiper to work too.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s


Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #1254
MWV247
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charleston, sc
Posts: 458
I did the CJ tailgate conversion. And it was more trouble that it was worth for me. It looked great though. Swag off-road now makes an easy kit to do this. Wish I had that when I did mine. The hardtop rear glass won't be able to close. And you can't leave the glass above the tailgate because the first bump you hit will bounce the rear window open. Best thing to do would be to sell the hard top or get used to latching it from the inside -pain in the butt. You can use the Softtop rear window though: you use have to reverse the retainer bar to make it work.
Worst part of having that tailgate is not having a lock and having to close the tailgate and reach over it to get things in the back of the cargo area.

That's why I made the one I have now using a TJ gate.
MWV247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #1255
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,180
This is what I came up with to latch the CJ tailgate on the the TJ tub trailer .

__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #1256
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247 View Post
I did the CJ tailgate conversion. And it was more trouble that it was worth for me. It looked great though. Swag off-road now makes an easy kit to do this. Wish I had that when I did mine. The hardtop rear glass won't be able to close. And you can't leave the glass above the tailgate because the first bump you hit will bounce the rear window open. Best thing to do would be to sell the hard top or get used to latching it from the inside -pain in the butt. You can use the Softtop rear window though: you use have to reverse the retainer bar to make it work.
Worst part of having that tailgate is not having a lock and having to close the tailgate and reach over it to get things in the back of the cargo area.

That's why I made the one I have now using a TJ gate.
MWV, hardtop stays at least for now. I think it would be easy to sell if I ever went that route, especially after the upgrades it will get this summer. LJs are very rare in my city, but I did have a guy come up to me yesterday asking if he could buy it. Haha. And to the swag kit.... I am not going to just use the normal way to drop down a tailgate... You all should know by now, I complicate anything I do with pretty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
This is what I came up with to latch the CJ tailgate on the the TJ tub trailer .

MWV, hardtop stays at least for now. I think it would be easy to sell if I ever went that route, especially after the upgrades it will get this summer. LJs are very rare in my city, but I did have a guy come up to me yesterday asking if he could buy it. Haha. And to the swag kit.... I am not going to just use the normal way to drop down a tailgate... You all should know by now, I complicate anything I do with pretty stuff.

Thanks for the advise guys. I will have to dive into it again when I get the time.

GB, are those latches in the CJ "stock" locations? My tailgate still has the stock latching things on it. I was hoping to use those. And GB, what tub is that you show in the picture? I didnt go thru and take the TJ lock/latch off when I fit mine up there. I dont know what the tub looks like under that point.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s


Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #1257
MWV247
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charleston, sc
Posts: 458
Here is one of my favorite conversions http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-tailgate.html
MWV247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #1258
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247 View Post
Here is one of my favorite conversions http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-tailgate.html
Very cool. I wish I had the skillz or the tools to try this. I hadnt seen that one but it made me think of JScherb's.... then his is posted in there too.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s


Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #1259
kyle_craig
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White Bear Laaake, Minnesooota
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247 View Post
Here is one of my favorite conversions http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-tailgate.html
That is awesome.
kyle_craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #1260
jeepsteads
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Hood TX
Posts: 381
I got swag kit with full aluminum back panel I love it but I suggest welding brackets and not using the self tapping screws
__________________
1995 Jeep YJ, 1991 Jeep YJ, 1993 Jeep YJ, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1985 Jeep CJ, 2001 Jeep TJ, 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3 Toyota's, and now 2005 Jeep LJ
jeepsteads is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.