Impact Orange LJ - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #1081
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Rig looks great, nothing like having your girl topless!
Thanks and yours too. That statement is so right for many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
Nice looking LJ bud. My sway bar broke in the exact same way yours did. I'm going to dig into this thread in while and see all that you did.
Good luck and thanks. Let me know if there is any questions. I want the rokmen tailgate so bad and almost pulled the trigger while it was on sale this weekend. Then I see your build and know I made the wrong decision.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #1082
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just posted this on the TJ forum but thought I would put it here too.

Quote:
So, my jeep has been sitting for a couple months with about 1 drive per month while I was fixing everything on it including a lot of suspensions components. The only thing I changed on the engine is the air intake. This weekend I check the mileage and have only gone 60-70 miles since the last fill up and the needle says I only have an 1/8 of the tank left (was a good gas gauge before). No codes but I unplug the battery every night.

4.0L, 6 speed trans

It feels like I have good power in the middle of the rpm band but nothing on the low end and I really have to push it to get to the high end... 3000-3200 rpms to shift.

I will be taking it to the exhuast shop at lunch to get them to run their diagnostic tool. Any other ideas on what could be robing the power?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...leage-1573369/

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1083
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Exhaust guy just called and says nothing is wrong that the computers can detect.

I know I drive very short periods compared to most (ie, I have only driven it 70 miles in 2 almost 3 weeks), but I do let it warm up about 80% of the time before I drive. Do you think the warm up is reducing me to the 3-4 mpg I am getting?

By this time next week, I will try to get some road miles on it this week to see if longer drives improve the mpgs.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #1084
H3lzsn1p3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Exhaust guy just called and says nothing is wrong that the computers can detect.

I know I drive very short periods compared to most (ie, I have only driven it 70 miles in 2 almost 3 weeks), but I do let it warm up about 80% of the time before I drive. Do you think the warm up is reducing me to the 3-4 mpg I am getting?

By this time next week, I will try to get some road miles on it this week to see if longer drives improve the mpgs.
bad fuel it seems fuel that contains 10% ethanol goes bad quickly 1 month will sometimes do it
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #1085
BallisticFab

great looking LJ! the Ballistic Battery Box looks amazing!
www.ballisticfabrication.com
BallisticFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #1086
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticFab View Post
great looking LJ! the Ballistic Battery Box looks amazing!
Thanks. and thanks for a good product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
bad fuel it seems fuel that contains 10% ethanol goes bad quickly 1 month will sometimes do it
I am hoping this could be it. I was not able to run another tank thru the jeep this weekend but was able to finish that one off and do some more driving.

The work day weekend was pretty awesome and we got a lot of new trails cut. There was even a good learning experience when it came to wheeling a d35. Bone stock 98 tj on a level 4 trail made it up half way.... 45* or better with rocks bigger than their tires..... snapped a rear shaft standing on the throttle, ended up breaking a banjo bolt on the front end, and massive rock rash..... This is how we go it off the trail. Started with high lift handle and ended with a tree trunk strapped to the frame winching 10' at a time for 150'+.... Took over 3 hours and about 7-10 people to get it done. Did I mention we could only winch for 10' at a time because it was a narrow windy trail and we were using snatches to manure between the trees.... Fun times. Lucky they brought a trailer.

same trail in the competition 2 years back.... this was the class above me. Here is a juggy racing up the same trail in almost the same spot.

Back to my jeep, the rear end is getting looked at and changed to the new needs (inside the tub storage compartment). Exhaust will happen this week or next but is now NEEDED. Drives straight and true with a tiny wobble. Going to the alignment place next weekend. Everything else is fine.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #1087
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Which trail was that?
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #1088
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Which trail was that?
Rock and roll. Broke at the crossing with bus top.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #1089
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So here are the measurements from this weekend. I know the toe is wrong. Bad Vibration at 55, I think the wheels are unbalance (due to sitting and I am sure I have the rotation off by now). I think the SAI was off due to a tire being mounted in the bed on driver side and the relatively new springs (have about 500 miles total on them, including POs mileage and have been sitting for 8 years on a shelf).
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #1090
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bringing this thread back with some updates.

Since the last post, I have been having some wheel balancing problems to say the least. Brought the jeep to my guy who did the original dynobead, wheel, tire install 22k miles back. He put surface applied wheel weights on the inside and out... He said it was the only way to re-balance them. Looks bad and was still wobbling till I rotated them a few times. Seems to work well now.

I looked at the steering since the alignment rack said I was a bit toe-d out. The currie correct-lync steering is designed to work with a ~4" lift, so at the shortest adjustment, I wasn't adjusted correctly, plus my wheel was at a 45* angle which was messing with my head while driving. This weekend, I took about a half inch off the drag link adjustment sleeve and half inch off the tie rod. I re-installed and did a 1 man alignment using the most random items to mark a line around the circumference of the tire in wet paint.

Also, in the last few weekends I have mounted the source tank in the "bed" of the Jeep and the first of two ammo cans mounted to the cage with some tube clamps. Drove the jeep last week with full doors, safari top and wrap around windjammer while it rained all week. I didn;t get to wet but love the "truck" feeling.

I have been thinking about selling the full soft top and running a modified hardtop or LJ hardtop for winters from now on, but need to find a top that needs work or a LJ top that the owner does not think it worth a brick of gold. I doubt it will happen for this winter, but we can hope.

I should be picking up some used suspension seats this week. Also, working on an idea for some inners fenders with a member on here, then new exhaust install (maybe fm 40 or 50) and get winch back to working and wheeling time will be here.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1091
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome man! My Jeep wobbles at 55mph as well. I think it is due to the unbalanced beadlocks I have on there. It hasn't bothered me enough to look into balancing them. I just stay off the highways. As of now, we are still planning to make K2 Oct. 24-27. Monson can't make it, but I will and I'm hoping Erich's jeep will be out of the engine shop by then. We also have some others coming out of Lafayette to go. Let me know if you want details.

My Jeep: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...ed-tj-1294481/
bmosing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #1092
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmosing View Post
Awesome man! My Jeep wobbles at 55mph as well. I think it is due to the unbalanced beadlocks I have on there. It hasn't bothered me enough to look into balancing them. I just stay off the highways. As of now, we are still planning to make K2 Oct. 24-27. Monson can't make it, but I will and I'm hoping Erich's jeep will be out of the engine shop by then. We also have some others coming out of Lafayette to go. Let me know if you want details.
Thanks for the invite, sent you a pm.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #1093
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oh, and I weighed the jeep last week.

full doors on (110 lbs)
Me (210)
tools and spare fender I was carrying (30)

It weighed 4300 lbs total with all above included.... So 3950 without doors/bare bones.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #1094
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't even want to know what mine ways if yours is that much, I have a heavy rear seat, tools and spare parts, OBA, full doors, a D300 t-case plus a bunch of other stuff that will probably put me over 5000 lbs, yikes. No wonder it doesn't do well on hills on the highway even with 4.56 gears.

If you don't like a little wobble don't get Swampers, I have the beads, but with those lugs there's always some shake.
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #1095
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
I don't even want to know what mine ways if yours is that much, I have a heavy rear seat, tools and spare parts, OBA, full doors, a D300 t-case plus a bunch of other stuff that will probably put me over 5000 lbs, yikes. No wonder it doesn't do well on hills on the highway even with 4.56 gears.

If you don't like a little wobble don't get Swampers, I have the beads, but with those lugs there's always some shake.
Haha. Don't forget all the metal in the form of the hood and tube fenders. I read on this site that each full door is 55 lbs. I would guess I am around 4500 lbs when loaded for a weekend trip (doorless with tools, parts and camping gear).

Picked up the new to me seats tonight and already removed the passenger stock seat. They appear to me to be mastercraft originals seats. Looks like I can transfer the stock two cross pieces and sliders over to the suspension seats. The seat belt may work or need a small right angle tab to work. And the cage will need a weld redone. I already had a friend touch one of them up before but it looks like it may need it on the other side now. And the best news, I might be able to get my stock jack out from it's location.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.