Impact Orange LJ - Page 72 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #1066
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmosing View Post
Soooo..... Can we go wheeling yet? I'm tired of being a mall crawler.
I'm not even sure I know why wheeling is anymore. But yes, I am pretty much ready. I want to hit a few trails at sicily to compare the seat of the pants feel of the before and after suspension overhaul before I go somewhere else to wheel.

'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #1067
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So did everything clear once you made the control arm adjustment and trimmed the gusset? Are you able to get to full bump (no jounce bumper in the upper cup) without contact?

There's no doubt that the axle still needs to move back 1/2" or so, maybe a hair more. I just installed a full Savvy/Currie 4" setup on a TJ this weekend and with the axle properly in place (lowers ended up at ~15.875" IIRC) and caster set to 6* the track bar and stock diff cover cleared with a little room to spare and that was with the Currie bump stops supporting the full weight of the front end (they'll compress another 1/2" or so beyond).

I think if you took a little length out of your Rokmen lowers, you'd be set. Assuming they're threaded deeper than the JJ shank length, you should be able to do it with no issues.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #1068
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
So did everything clear once you made the control arm adjustment and trimmed the gusset? Are you able to get to full bump (no jounce bumper in the upper cup) without contact?
At full bump, everything cleared by 1/4" or so. No contact thru the range of movement.

Quote:
There's no doubt that the axle still needs to move back 1/2" or so, maybe a hair more. I just installed a full Savvy/Currie 4" setup on a TJ this weekend and with the axle properly in place (lowers ended up at ~15.875" IIRC) and caster set to 6* the track bar and stock diff cover cleared with a little room to spare and that was with the Currie bump stops supporting the full weight of the front end (they'll compress another 1/2" or so beyond).

I think if you took a little length out of your Rokmen lowers, you'd be set. Assuming they're threaded deeper than the JJ shank length, you should be able to do it with no issues.
Why are you saying to move my axle back more? My lowers are at 15.75" still.

Do you remember what the approximate upper length is set to (that you setup this weekend)?
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #1069
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nevermind, I thought for some reason that your lowers would only shorten to 16"......15.75" is perfect for you. If everything clears, you're good. The added caster should definitely improve the steering.

As for the uppers, no I didn't measure them. I never measure the uppers, I just set to to length so that the bolts slide through with the axle centered, square and rotated correctly at ride height. The length ends up being whatever it is.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #1070
jscusmcvet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just finished reading your thread. Great jeep and vision for what you wanted/want it to be. Looking forward to your continued postings. I am staying mild this time around but really enjoy the work and creativity that has gone into your rig.

John
jscusmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #1071
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Nevermind, I thought for some reason that your lowers would only shorten to 16"......15.75" is perfect for you. If everything clears, you're good. The added caster should definitely improve the steering.

As for the uppers, no I didn't measure them. I never measure the uppers, I just set to to length so that the bolts slide through with the axle centered, square and rotated correctly at ride height. The length ends up being whatever it is.
I know the uppers are whatever they end up being, just didn't know if you knew the length. All of the steering wobble is gone and it steers and drives better than I remember. At higher speeds, there is a bit of a shake, but I think it is an unbalanced wheel in the back or something even tho I used dynobeads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscusmcvet View Post
Just finished reading your thread. Great jeep and vision for what you wanted/want it to be. Looking forward to your continued postings. I am staying mild this time around but really enjoy the work and creativity that has gone into your rig.

John
Thanks man. I am trying built it to where I wheel and not repeatedly buy parts over and over. Hopefully, I will have some wheel pictures soon.
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #1072
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
Hopefully, I will have some wheel pictures soon.
LEZ DO IT. We're planning a trip to K2 in late October (if you're interested), but we all need to get on the trail before then and shake our rigs down. September weekends are pretty much shot for me, but I may have one come available. If not then, early October. If not then, well ****...there's some great malls around here.

EDIT: Just saw your post in my brother's thread. One of those Friday's next month may work out for me, but I already 2 weekend flights on my schedule.

My Jeep: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...ed-tj-1294481/
bmosing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #1073
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmosing View Post
LEZ DO IT. We're planning a trip to K2 in late October (if you're interested), but we all need to get on the trail before then and shake our rigs down. September weekends are pretty much shot for me, but I may have one come available. If not then, early October. If not then, well ****...there's some great malls around here.

EDIT: Just saw your post in my brother's thread. One of those Friday's next month may work out for me, but I already 2 weekend flights on my schedule.
Details on K2 and maybe. Definitely need some shake down before since not all of us trailer.

I will be wheeling about every weekend* I can until about late nov because this is my favorite time to wheel in our climate. I will be working up to a Jeep Jambo in Hot Springs late oct. which I have wanted to do for the last 2 years now, since cajun jambo.

Worst come to worst B, we have a large car show in late sept here. You can come up and we can show off the rigs again with people that still don't appreciate them.

*as long as my rig can take it.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #1074
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

First topless driving in a while this morning. Now I remember why I did all that junk that stressed me for months.

Unread 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #1075
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

looks great man
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #1076
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice to drive it again isnt it ... now order up some paint
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #1077
PeterSyz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am absolutely in love with modded LJs but yours takes the cake. Incredible. You should be proud of all of your work.
PeterSyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #1078
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
looks great man
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Nice to drive it again isnt it ... now order up some paint
Thanks. I have something in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSyz View Post
I am absolutely in love with modded LJs but yours takes the cake. Incredible. You should be proud of all of your work.
Thank you and I am. Very much so, as long as you look at the work from 10' away, it looks nice.

Picked up a bunch of parts this weekend including the main parts of a bestop tire carrier. And I should be picking up another 8274 today too. And the price for all of it was FREE. I installed the stock flares (that have seen a better day) back on the rear for looks. I moved them up a couple inches to kind-of justify the front ones being so high. I think it looks good - something you wouldn't have convinced me without trying it on. O, and I only had to drill one hole per side.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #1079
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rig looks great, nothing like having your girl topless!

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #1080
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking LJ bud. My sway bar broke in the exact same way yours did. I'm going to dig into this thread in while and see all that you did.
g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.