Impact Orange LJ - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #1051
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

10* off

I think the rotation will help out to clear the problem. I might have to cut a bit into the gusset on the new tb depending on how far I can rotate it.

Unread 08-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #1052
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
10* off

I think the rotation will help out to clear the problem. I might have to cut a bit into the gusset on the new tb depending on how far I can rotate it.
So, the 10* is with the magnetic angle finder on the casting hole on either side of the front diffcover? The flat spot has a hole about the size of a nickel or quarter.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #1053
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
So, the 10* is with the magnetic angle finder on the casting hole on either side of the front diffcover? The flat spot has a hole about the size of a nickel or quarter.
Yes, one of those spots.....

Was I really being that unclear?

The whole point of measuring from one of those points is because they are perpendicular to the pinion center line. Throw the angle finder on that and report back.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #1054
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Yes, one of those spots.....

Was I really being that unclear?

The whole point of measuring from one of those points is because they are perpendicular to the pinion center line. Throw the angle finder on that and report back.
I did this morning and it is 10* off also. You probably were not being that unclear, I just have had a long week.
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #1055
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now put it on the tube of your driveshaft and see what angle you get.
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #1056
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So the flat spot is 10* off from vertical? If so, you're running 2* of caster.

Bring it down 4* so that it reads 6*. You'll then have 6* of caster (12-6 = 6) and the diff cover should clear the JJ much nicer.

Once doing that, is there enough adjustment left in the uppers to give you those same numbers with the lowers threaded in all the way? If so, do it. You should be in much better shape.

The easiest way to rotate the pinion down--unbolt both uppers, loosen the track bar jam nut, place a jack under the tie rod (you have Currie right? If so, it can handle it easily), and jack up until the angle finder reads the advised amount. Adjust uppers to fit, slide the bolts through and torque them down.

Just to clear things up--there are 12 degrees of separation between the pinion and caster planes on LP TJ axles.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #1057
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Told you Imped knew the degrees of separation.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #1058
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Now put it on the tube of your driveshaft and see what angle you get.
-5*

Quote:
So the flat spot is 10* off from vertical? If so, you're running 2* of caster.

Bring it down 4* so that it reads 6*. You'll then have 6* of caster (12-6 = 6) and the diff cover should clear the JJ much nicer.

Once doing that, is there enough adjustment left in the uppers to give you those same numbers with the lowers threaded in all the way? If so, do it. You should be in much better shape.

The easiest way to rotate the pinion down--unbolt both uppers, loosen the track bar jam nut, place a jack under the tie rod (you have Currie right? If so, it can handle it easily), and jack up until the angle finder reads the advised amount. Adjust uppers to fit, slide the bolts through and torque them down.

Just to clear things up--there are 12 degrees of separation between the pinion and caster planes on LP TJ axles.
Perfect. Thanks, this makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Told you Imped knew the degrees of separation.
No doubt there. Will report back after I do some work. Are you going with Rudy this weekend for the day ride at SI?
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #1059
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't imagine your steering has been anything to write home about with close to no caster.....your Jeep is gonna drive a hell of a lot nicer once you get the front end dialed in.
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #1060
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
No doubt there. Will report back after I do some work. Are you going with Rudy this weekend for the day ride at SI?
No, it was too short notice, and I'm trying to go to the easleyville ride for my friends first time.

Imped, should he set his pinion angle down to about 4*, or worry more about the caster at this low of a height?
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #1061
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bring the pinion angle from 10 down to 6 (a difference of 4). With a 6* pinion angle he will have 6* of caster (12-6=6). Play with it from there.
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #1062
94eagle

That's a mean seal to replace!
94eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1063
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't imagine your steering has been anything to write home about with close to no caster.....your Jeep is gonna drive a hell of a lot nicer once you get the front end dialed in.
It was bad nor great (steering) before. I probably didn't notice how bad it was since I had not driven the jeep for months before.

Quote:
No, it was too short notice, and I'm trying to go to the easleyville ride for my friends first time.

Imped, should he set his pinion angle down to about 4*, or worry more about the caster at this low of a height?
Quote:
Bring the pinion angle from 10 down to 6 (a difference of 4). With a 6* pinion angle he will have 6* of caster (12-6=6). Play with it from there.
Ended up going with 5* tilt up from the previous position. More info in my post below this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eagle View Post
That's a mean seal to replace!
Tell me about it. Haha.
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #1064
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unbolted the uppers and tilted the front axle back 4* from where it was, which put my upper arms at a length of 15.25". After the weight was back on, it showed as 5* tilted back (haven't drove yet). Rokmen said they usually set the uppers at 15 1/8". After that, I checked out what the tb was doing at bump. The gusset was hitting.

So I took a little off

Since I had the grinder plugged in and the appropriate footwear on, I took a little out of the driver front strut holding the engine skid up.

Started to put it back on its own weight to finish installing the tb.

Springs look much better. Bolted the tb in and torqued everything down.

Since I was under the jeep, I checked all control arms and jamb nuts. The only jamb nut that was loose was on the rear upper, just beside the muffler.

Tighten that up, but the muffler has worked it's way over into the bolt/nut. I will be getting a new exhaust set up ASAP. The stock muffler is 27" edge to edge. That is about the same amount on room I have from here...

to the start of the ucf trans skid. I would like to delete the 3rd cat as Imped discussed before. I would also like a smaller high flow muffler with turn down just before the skid (up as high as possible for clearance). I should be able to use only one hanger at the end this away. We will see what the muffler guy suggests.

Thank you all for helping me thru this especially Imped and Hendrix for telling how to set it up and noticing the I had to much tilt.

Also, since I put the stock mirrors back on the stock spots on the full doors, I have not really driven doorless. I added these to be able to do that. I could also do the same thing to run windshield down legally (mount one mirror at top for rear view).

The tube clamps are from ballistic. The mirror is a Harley knock-off. I can't shut the doors with the mirrors on, but it can remove the mirror part in a minute to covert. All that is left to do is test drive.
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #1065
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Soooo..... Can we go wheeling yet? I'm tired of being a mall crawler.

My Jeep: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...ed-tj-1294481/
bmosing is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.