Impact Orange LJ - Page 70 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

Clayton Off Road WJ Skid Plate TestingIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #1036
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would guess 15 5/8 to 15 1/2.

Jeff from Rokmen said my uppers are to long which is rotating the housing forward and hitting. I will try to reduce their length and go from there. Maybe add the MC tb too. I wonder if it has enough adjust-ability to work with my set up.

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #1037
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As low as you are, I think the stock track bar would be best. I'd put the MC in second place....it'd probably be a little offset at ride height, like 1/2". You could probably cut down the end 1/4" or so and you'd be good. You're just too low for the Currie bar to work without really limiting your up travel IMO. It works great with taller springs that need some extra bump stop to prevent coil bind.

Hell, you could always just go up. You have an LJ.....being that low is probably a hindrance.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #1038
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
As low as you are, I think the stock track bar would be best. I'd put the MC in second place....it'd probably be a little offset at ride height, like 1/2". You could probably cut down the end 1/4" or so and you'd be good. You're just too low for the Currie bar to work without really limiting your up travel IMO. It works great with taller springs that need some extra bump stop to prevent coil bind.

Hell, you could always just go up. You have an LJ.....being that low is probably a hindrance.
Are we talking about the same trackbar?

This is the one I have in the pictures (not the one that I had, which rubs). This one's only interference is the jj housing. Currie says it is designed for 2" lifts. Rokmen said it is what they use on their low TJ/LJ builds with their arms.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=3488

I have no problem getting the MC tb if this one doesnt work. I will probably have to wait til this weekend to adjust... damn rain.
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #1039
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The 9120.....the only Currie track bar available. Yes, we're talking about the same track bar. It has a 2.5" JJ that mounts to the stock track bar bracket in single shear just like all Currie and JKS track bars ever have.

Currie can say whatever they want. But as you've seen, that track bar will require more bump stop than the stock track bar or the MC track bar to prevent contact. It's a damn good track bar but there's nothing you can do about the sheer size of a 2.5" JJ. I've run a JKS then a 9120 for the past 4 years so I'm very familiar with it, especially on low setups.

Rokmen rigs don't have much up travel. If you're ever around one that uses stock mounts, go take a look at the bump stops. I'm not saying that's good or bad, it is what it is. I prefer more up travel and the Currie track bar doesn't allow as much as other options. You can gain a little more with moving the axle back but your upper limit is still going to be the track bar against the diff cover.

If you'd like to move your upper limit further up, you'll have to go another option. Since you've already drilled out the frame mount, stock is out of the question unless you come up with a tapered spacer. MC is your only option if you feel that you need more up travel. It allowed me to gain a full 1" of up travel and moved my upper limit from the track bar/diff cover to the maximum limit--the upper link mount tab against the AC compressor.
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1040
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

He may have issues with the MC TB being too long. I think it's even a scosh too long for my 2.5" lift.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #1041
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
He may have issues with the MC TB being too long. I think it's even a scosh too long for my 2.5" lift.
Already mentioned that.

Personally, I'd just go up. I'm all for low rigs but with the wheelbase and big butt of the LJ, it makes more sense to be in the 3-4" range.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #1042
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Personally, I'd just go up. I'm all for low rigs but with the wheelbase and big butt of the LJ, it makes more sense to be in the 3-4" range.
My thoughts exactly...if anything stretch the rear 4'' and reduce some of that over hang.

I'm toying with the idea of ditching the Currie arms for either the RockKrawler 4'' Long Arm Stretch or just going with the Poly Perf 3/4 Link upgrades this winter or later next year.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1043
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I am not going any higher without seeing some serious problems with performance on the trail. Which means the goal is to get this thing to the trail in a condition that it can wheel and hopefully take me home afterwards.

I lower the jeep as a response to the areas that I wheel in around where I live. I was experiencing a lot of leaning on off camber stuff and "suspension unloading" on a lot of hill climbs and decents. If you think this is the wrong idea, please keep it to yourself. I try not to attack anyone in their build thread even if you idea is stupid, I ask you do the same thing. I am not trying to make a jeep do something it was create not to do, ie drive to work and drive offroad. I am just trying to build it for me for where I wheel. I am using bolt on parts. I am not cutting everything out and creating everything custom. I am not to that level yet. I apologize if I don't know the definition of every technical term, but I guarantee that I will google it and learn when someone says "you need to look at your what-cha-do-hicky" Also, I was getting terrible gas mileage on the highway and terrible ride quality. I dont know if the lowering will help with gas mileage or not but I wanted to try to see if it would effect it. And I will report back if it helps. I am glad for this forum and many others (jeep and non-jeep) but I also find the need to explore something for myself. Sometimes it is a great thing, sometimes not so much.

About the rear stretch, I have never seen a reason for this on MY jeep. I have never been too caught up on the rear while riding or had it rubbed hard enough to stop my wheeling to see a need to address that on my jeep. The rear bumper is boxed and flows all the way to the rear wheel openings which has allowed my tub to still be nice when it does get hit offroad. I think, if I am to low, I will just be dragged along the stock gas tank skid/bumper, so not really worried about that area either, right now. If there is something else that happens after some trail time, then that will get addressed also. (more than anything, I can't wait to have a savvy gts skid back there, I have had two used deals fall threw since I started changing the LJ around a couple months ago).

The front approach angle is where I have had the problems in the past which is why I was hoping to address it during this process. I did not plan on a stretch or anything like this a couple months ago, but I thought it would be something I could take care of when the problem presented itself. I still may be once I get under the jeep later this week if I can't dial everything back like it has been mention above.

Sorry to rant. And I really appreciate all that help everyone has given to this point and in the future.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #1044
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at your pictures again, your diff looks severely rotated forward (pinion too high). I'd take the recommendation from earlier and shorten the uppers. You'll gain some caster and will probably gain some clearance.

Also, the JJ gusset can be ground down quite a bit if it's hitting.

Out of curiosity--with the Jeep on flat ground, put an angle finder on one of the round flat spots on either side of the front diff cover. What's it read?
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #1045
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Looking at your pictures again, your diff looks severely rotated forward (pinion too high). I'd take the recommendation from earlier and shorten the uppers. You'll gain some caster and will probably gain some clearance.

Also, the JJ gusset can be ground down quite a bit if it's hitting.

Out of curiosity--with the Jeep on flat ground, put an angle finder on one of the round flat spots on either side of the front diff cover. What's it read?
I would guess by looking at his pictures way way to high. Approximately 14 degree or more.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #1046
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

top reads 11

reads 10-11

Unread 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #1047
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Well, I am not going any higher without seeing some serious problems with performance on the trail. Which means the goal is to get this thing to the trail in a condition that it can wheel and hopefully take me home afterwards.

I lower the jeep as a response to the areas that I wheel in around where I live. I was experiencing a lot of leaning on off camber stuff and "suspension unloading" on a lot of hill climbs and decents. If you think this is the wrong idea, please keep it to yourself. I try not to attack anyone in their build thread even if you idea is stupid, I ask you do the same thing. I am not trying to make a jeep do something it was create not to do, ie drive to work and drive offroad. I am just trying to build it for me for where I wheel. I am using bolt on parts. I am not cutting everything out and creating everything custom. I am not to that level yet. I apologize if I don't know the definition of every technical term, but I guarantee that I will google it and learn when someone says "you need to look at your what-cha-do-hicky" Also, I was getting terrible gas mileage on the highway and terrible ride quality. I dont know if the lowering will help with gas mileage or not but I wanted to try to see if it would effect it. And I will report back if it helps. I am glad for this forum and many others (jeep and non-jeep) but I also find the need to explore something for myself. Sometimes it is a great thing, sometimes not so much.

About the rear stretch, I have never seen a reason for this on MY jeep. I have never been too caught up on the rear while riding or had it rubbed hard enough to stop my wheeling to see a need to address that on my jeep. The rear bumper is boxed and flows all the way to the rear wheel openings which has allowed my tub to still be nice when it does get hit offroad. I think, if I am to low, I will just be dragged along the stock gas tank skid/bumper, so not really worried about that area either, right now. If there is something else that happens after some trail time, then that will get addressed also. (more than anything, I can't wait to have a savvy gts skid back there, I have had two used deals fall threw since I started changing the LJ around a couple months ago).

The front approach angle is where I have had the problems in the past which is why I was hoping to address it during this process. I did not plan on a stretch or anything like this a couple months ago, but I thought it would be something I could take care of when the problem presented itself. I still may be once I get under the jeep later this week if I can't dial everything back like it has been mention above.

Sorry to rant. And I really appreciate all that help everyone has given to this point and in the future.
Good enough reasons for me. Keep up the progress.
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #1048
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not those spots......

The flat round spots on the sides of the diff cover. Not top and bottom......
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #1049
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

My front pinion angle is 4. Just for reference. And just by looking at that side shot with the driveshaft.... pinion angle is high brother. Drop it down.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #1050
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea Mike, that looks way to high. You only have probably 2" of lift at the Tcase from the tummy tuck, so you probably don't need much from stock angle, if any.
LA-Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.