Impact Orange LJ - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #841
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rent a race kit from the parts store for the seals, that's what I had to do when my seals fell out the first time I pulled the shafts.

My local hardware store also sells pipe, and long threaded rod. You can "make" your own race kit. Go find a pipe that fits the seals and cut like a 3" chunk off the whole piece. Get a big piece of threaded rod long enough to reach the pumpkin through the tube, and either weld a few thick washers to end of one side of the tube, or weld a square thick plate to the end of one side of the tube.

When I used the race kit, the cup for the seal was too big for the tube, so thats probably the issue you are having, is the fit on the seal isn't right. With the kit I used you had to stick the rod in, and then screw on the cup once the rod was in the pumpkin.

If you just the washer method just jam nut it on. If you weld a plate on, drill and tap the plate and thread the rod into it, or you can just drill a hole and jam nut it too I guess.

Either way is cheaper than buying a race kit, and then you have it for the future too!

Unread 06-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #842
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
Rent a race kit from the parts store for the seals, that's what I had to do when my seals fell out the first time I pulled the shafts.
That doesn't make any sense since you have to pull the gear set and hit the seal out thru the tub into the pumkin? If it fell out, it might have been leaking anyways since it is a friction seal, so it probably needed replacing anyways.

Anyways, I have two options of custom tools that were made last night. First is a 2" or so diameter piece of tubing that fits the outside of the seal's lip. The second piece is a piece of muffler that is just a bit smaller that fits just inside the part of the seal. The first one of these is fit on a slug of aluminum which was spun on a lathe to fit perfectly. The other side has a void in the shape of a cylinder to fit a 2' bar which will fit thru the driver side seal. I will try it tomorrow. Also, the dana 60 knuckles came in which I sand blasted and deliver.... That is what I traded for the CJ5.5 tub. The CJ starts deconstruction tomorrow.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #843
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can't explain it either, but they shifted down into the axle and blocked the shaft from going back in. I got the Jeep at 74k and pulled the shafts shortly after to do u joints when it happened. The thing had never been wheeled, but it was right at the point where stuff that was never replaced was starting to go.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #844
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't explain it either, but they shifted down into the axle and blocked the shaft from going back in. I got the Jeep at 74k and pulled the shafts shortly after to do u joints when it happened. The thing had never been wheeled, but it was right at the point where stuff that was never replaced was starting to go.
That sucks but everything needs replacing at some point. Funny thing is my jeep is at about 79 or 80 k right now..... I can't even remember which means it has been to long since I drove it.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #845
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So here is the tool for the seal.

Installed in a few minutes.

Threw these back in. Make sure you align the pinion gear when putting the gear set in. Then torqued to spec and made sure the drive shaft and gear set spun freely.

Old and new.

Assembled.

Also I threw on some 1" spacers and removed the .5" spacers. After that I moved to the rear and put it all back together but just have to throw the tires on and check the pinion angle. I somehow lost the brake caliper bolts for both sides.... I'll get new ones so I can finish it off. I will pull the front axle back about .5" and re-adjust the pinion angle. The boot for the steering doesn't appear to fit so I guess I will have to order that from California. I started looking at how to do the inner fender again and might try to figure that out while waiting on the part. Does anyone know what I will need to torque the tre bolts down to on the currie steering?

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #846
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

All castle nuts get torqued to 55ft/lbs and you can tighten them if needed to line up the cotter pin holes with the next notch in the castle nut.
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #847
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All castle nuts get torqued to 55ft/lbs and you can tighten them if needed to line up the cotter pin holes with the next notch in the castle nut.
Thanks.

Got the front all finished up except for adding fluid today and started the inner fender idea.

This is just an idea and would like some feedback. I didn't get them pulled taught enough but it was a first attempt.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #848
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, after calling 7 companies today including currie, I bought 2 of the 3 shift boots left in stock. Funny thing, currie had these in stock @ 7 am but not at 8.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #849
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Well, after calling 7 companies today including currie, I bought 2 of the 3 shift boots left in stock. Funny thing, currie had these in stock @ 7 am but not at 8.
Shift boots or tie rod boots? I threw a JK shift boot on mine.
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #850
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Shift boots or tie rod boots? I threw a JK shift boot on mine.
Currie tr boot. I don't want to take the chance of it not working and do this again next weekend.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #851
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Currie tr boot. I don't want to take the chance of it not working and do this again next weekend.
Gotcha, I just ordered a new Currie pitman TRE, old drop pitman/tb setup destroyed my current one in under a year before I recently took it all off.
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #852
CommishLSU
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Is that mexican blanket thing a template for what you are thinking of doing in metal? Please say yes, please.

Man, if not, wow. I may come steal that thing and put it back together as an LJ.
04 LJ, 5.38s, 37" Rockers, 110"WB stretch, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, 2-Antirox, RockMonsters,HP44 w/RCV, RubiCrawler, chromo's rear, Detroit-F ARB-R, GenRight Cage, Warn M8000, 3-link frt/4-link rear,PSC Steering, PS stretch armor, cust built front bumper.
CommishLSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #853
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommishLSU View Post
Is that mexican blanket thing a template for what you are thinking of doing in metal? Please say yes, please.

Man, if not, wow. I may come steal that thing and put it back together as an LJ.
I was afraid to ask this.
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #854
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommishLSU View Post

I wish I had stated my intents somewhere.

Quote:
I was afraid to ask this.
Quote:
This is just an idea and would like some feedback. I didn't get them pulled taught enough but it was a first attempt.
I removed all of this yesterday after work after getting a good night of sleep thinking about it, which is why it was installed with zip ties only. Going another direction that has been posted in here already, that may or may not include a mexican blanket.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #855
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Could you make the Poison Spider inner fenders work? They are relatively cheap for a set of inner fenders, and you could get free shipping on them from Northridge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.