Impact Orange LJ - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #826
monsonman

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Haha bringing a whole new meaning to"impact orange"

Cj clips make me feel warm and fuzzy inside

Unread 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #827
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What, you're getting Tim's rig?! Awesome!
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #828
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsonman View Post
Haha bringing a whole new meaning to"impact orange"

Cj clips make me feel warm and fuzzy inside
There is about 800 10-60 second videos from last weekend at sicily on the local forum of his uploaded last night. I think they documented his whole saturday run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
What, you're getting Tim's rig?! Awesome!
Tub only. The rest is to much awesomeness for me.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #829
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get anymore done on the doors, how hard was it to remove the material? Would the original material be able to be reused if it was OK. Reason I'm asking is that I just found set of these, in really good shape, locally for $150.
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #830
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
Get anymore done on the doors, how hard was it to remove the material? Would the original material be able to be reused if it was OK. Reason I'm asking is that I just found set of these, in really good shape, locally for $150.
I did get some done yesterday Remko. I didn't take any pictures but I will try tomorrow. I am reusing the material I removed but will have to add some flat steel to mount the paddle handles. And I think I might try to overlap the welded joints on the round material with something to strengthen the joint since the doors will be slammed once finished.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #831
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Remko here ya go.

"Stock but cut"

Close up

Reconfigured

C's. grindered and paintered

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #832
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those knuckles are almost too purty

And your a nut for building another rig !
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #833
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Those knuckles are almost too purty

And your a nut for building another rig !
Thanks and it really isn't anther rig.... You will see when the built starts.

On to today work/frustration.

Started with this. Notice I wrote on the pinion bolts with a paint pen because these have tone pit back in in the same holes.

With a little wiggling, it fell out. I thought it would be harder and had 3 pry bars ready.

Found out there was one tooth missing.

There is the seal

I put my 4' pipe down the passenger side axle tube and hit it with a 4 lb hammer and it popped out. Here is the old and new.

After trying to press the new one in thru the driver side tube using many different things as spacers, no luck. According to Stu's website, he used a 1.75" Dom tube chunk which he said fits the seal perfectly. I did not have any of that around. We pressed the seal in but every time it would get just a touch out of wrack and get a little sideways, so we would press it out from the passenger side and start over. Finally, I threw in the towel and I think the seal was destroyed anyways. So I will find another and hopefully some tube before I try again.

After a bunch more little stuff here and there, I decided to press the ball joints in so I could feel like I did something.

Upper

Lower

Does the gold piece in this picture get used. I have found mixed results from research but didn't remove one and can't even figure out where it goes so I am going to guess no.

This shows how much the ball joint come thru.

Passenger side. Both knuckles are just finger tight on the ball joints

If anyone has any suggestions about the seal, please let me know. And about the gold nut too. Thanks.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #834
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gold nut was for Cherokees or something like that. I didn't use them on mine.

Are you pressing the seal from inside the pumpkin or thru the axle tubes??
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #835
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thru the axle tubes. I have a few different sizes bar I have been using to seat the passenger seal going thru the installed (and working) driver seal to hit a flat .5"x1"x2" steel then hit the old seal or one of the many ball joint parts from the kit or another space I found in the shop. The problem is all the use has damaged the edge inside the metal other ring (runner) from all the hitting. I think am going to try and find what Stu said and find that piece. By the way, I am using the same method he has a picture of on his website. I didn't take a picture.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #836
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ah, you have the pipe thru the tube, but the actual seal from the pumpkin. I thought you meant you were trying to push the seal all the way down the tube. can you just tap it in with a hammer? I didn't replace my seal but when I had my axle taken apart to clean, I popped out the seals and put them back in by just tapping with a hammer.
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #837
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any sockets that could fit the seal properly? Maybe a socket and long 1/2" extension?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #838
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Ah, you have the pipe thru the tube, but the actual seal from the pumpkin. I thought you meant you were trying to push the seal all the way down the tube. can you just tap it in with a hammer? I didn't replace my seal but when I had my axle taken apart to clean, I popped out the seals and put them back in by just tapping with a hammer.
Actually I never tried it with just a hammer because there is a second raised portion just inside the outer part which is what you need to hit to seat it. At least I thought that, because it was the seal bumper to bumper told me would fit. Turns out it is the wrong seal that they gave me. The outer portion of the seal is larger than the on I took out.

Turns out no one in town has these in stock and Oreillys can get one on Friday. I think 4wd has one but I will call them tomorrow and see what the dealer had too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Do you have any sockets that could fit the seal properly? Maybe a socket and long 1/2" extension?
It might take a few extensions and a new socket since I don't have a socket that big.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #839
jeeplovin

I really like that you use your Chief the mud makes it look good...
jeeplovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #840
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplovin View Post
I really like that you use your Chief the mud makes it look good...
Thanks. I thought the two bullet holes in the rear driver window was a nice touch too. I have wonder about the story on those for a while.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.