Impact Orange LJ - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #691
H3lzsn1p3r

it is better to get a new sleeve if it is seized in place because they tend to bend when loosening them they are only 7 bux or so any way

H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #692
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
1" off is pretty big. Especially since they are toe out. Need to be toe in and 1/16- 1/8 wider in the back than front. And to get the linkage to move, heat the threads and use a big plumbers wrench.
Tried the wrench but no heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
A big monkey wrench is your friend for the tie rod .
I need bigger friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
it is better to get a new sleeve if it is seized in place because they tend to bend when loosening them they are only 7 bux or so any way
Sleeve was loose. It's the tie rod that won't move on the tie rod ends threads (currie steering).

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #693
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
1" off is pretty big. Especially since they are toe out. Need to be toe in and 1/16- 1/8 wider in the back than front. And to get the linkage to move, heat the threads and use a big plumbers wrench.
Exactly. Mine was dead even front to back and it wandered pretty good on the highway. It's now set to 1/16'' in and I might go to 1/8'' in.

Quote:
A big monkey wrench is your friend for the tie rod .
This. I used a pipe wrench to move it...but surprisingly after it moved I could turn it by hand.
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #694
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will probably try again this evening.

Also, this was pretty good read for the hubs.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/hubconv/hub-7.htm

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #695
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A buddy just bought this jeep. He hasn't decide what to do with it yet (wheeler or mall crawler). He has another 97 TJ, the olive drab one with smitty built fenders and arbs in each axle.

Here is what we know about the new one.
D30/44 combo, both with arbs
~2" grey springs, stock upper front ca, stock lower rear ca. Other two are adjustable and look like RE.
112" wheel base
Arb f + r bumpers
33s or 32s
Aev 15" wheels
4 very nice seats
Power windows
Full tow behind the rv setup. Full air brakes.
Auto
Bad a** exhaust
Custom hard top

Let me know it you know anything else about these. AEV saws there is less than 50 made. This one started out as a 2002 TJ.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #696
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, so he kept his other jeep also? Wow. And by the looks of the tip I think that's a Borla Exhaust. Have one on my TJ and it does sound good.
LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #697
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That looks like a pre LJ umm well LJ ?
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #698
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, so he kept his other jeep also? Wow. And by the looks of the tip I think that's a Borla Exhaust. Have one on my TJ and it does sound good.
That is the plan right now, at least as far as he has told me. I have driven the AEV stretched one and rode passenger as he did a little hill climb attempt in very wet grass. It is a little climb that take momentum in mine, he did it in 4h with absolutely no momentum or wheel spin. I like that sucker and it looks like what everyone is shooting for when you see the TJ-6 type builds. LJ tub length with a CJ-6 wheelbase.

Quote:
That looks like a pre LJ umm well LJ ?
With 8" more wheel base and a better departure angle. You can feel how much better the wheelbase helps on a bumpy road. It is also easier to do donuts in.

So, on to serious matters at hand. I couldn't get the tie rod to budge with the pipe wrench last night so I took it in for a second opinion this morning. I asked them to see if they could tell when the wheels appear to be bent it. I didn't say anything else so we will hear what they think.

If it is the unit bearings, this is the pictures of what I am in negotiations with someone about.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wa...bs-tj-1519002/

Here is his pictures.

diagrams and part list

The gentleman said that part 8 on the above diagram is broke and that he does have the two disk brakes that will be included. I have look thru the pictures but cannot really tell if there is anything else missing. Can someone else see anything missing? Otherwise, I will probably pull the trigger on these and replace the part and install asap. I have always wanted lockable hubs and the outers are chromo (IIRC), so this should be a pretty good upgrade. I will buy a set of hubs to carry as spares after all is done too. And this should give me a little bit more piece of mind for wheeling longer distances away for many reasons.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #699
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know man, I don't get why you want lockable hubs, the Timken unit bearings seem to last a LONG time for everybody and are so simple to change. I don't know anything about locking hubs so maybe I'm missing something.
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #700
H3lzsn1p3r

the locking hubs are great and you get 1-2 mpg from then because your not spinning the axle internals
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #701
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I can't confirm the gas mileage increase but that could be one.

My reasons:
less rolling resistance on everything in the front axle - little to no use or wear on anything in the front axle except for free spinning bearings during daily use and no front drive-line constantly moving (don't have to worry about a damage part such as a drive shaft being unbalanced and shaking all the way home)
break a hub instead of an axle shaft (15 minutes to replace), plus you can unlock it when you break, winch out and fix on flat ground. If that was a U-joint or axle shaft, you would have to fix it there or have worst problems and a lot more parts and tools to carry to replace
More control over the jeep's parts
Bearings are serviceable and have a better life time if regular maintenance is done.

I am sure I am forgetting more. Read the explanation on Stu site I linked in above in post 694

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #702
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gas mileage won't improve, it's still an aerodynamic brick. The hubs have there advantages but for your Jeep I wouln't recommend them. I got rid of my small hub kit when I went to 35" tires after breaking both outer stubs at Moab (on 33's) and then 2 hubs within 20' of each other at Rausch Creek, on 35's. They are fine for small tires, I think recommended is up to 32" tires, but not strong enough for anything more, if you want locking hubs get the big hub kit, it means changing to a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern but it's the only way to go for the strength. This is just my recommendation, but from what I've seen of your rig and how you use it, I wouldn't do it.
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #703
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

jeep looks great Im really diggin that hood.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #704
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alright, Remko and a few others have said this might not be the best route for the tire size I am currently on. I do have stock inners shafts and usually only break outers (superior). It may not be the best idea right now. And I am going to ask the guy who I am getting these from what size he was running. IIRC, he said he removed these because of the break he had and went back to unit bearing and sold the TJ, just kept these parts.

Remko, I have looking into the big hub kit and have a friend who had one of the first setups of those hubs. he was breaking everything to often and when to a different setup. I think the called it quits running a 39" tire on a crate rubi d44 front and beating on it (same purple TJ pictured earlier in this thread), now running 42s on moab trails almost daily. He is really the only one that I have ever spoke to that had it.

Still waiting to hear what the second opinion is on the tire lean.... The whole reason I was trying to jump on this hub kit was the price (25% of cost) and I have always wanted these because of the flexibility they offer.

If it is my unit bearings that are f*****d, can I just get an couple axle shafts with unit bearings attached from the junkyard and put them in for a week or two til I can get some new unit bearing shipped in? This way, after I get the new ones in, I will have some full spares assemblies to carry with me.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #705
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
jeep looks great Im really diggin that hood.
Thanks dude. I am waiting to see what your will looking like after the shipment arrives.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.