Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impact Orange LJ

273K views 2K replies 129 participants last post by  dayriesw 
#1 ·
****EDIT: lost all the pictures due to photobucket on 7-4-13.... Slowly trying to replace broke links with new flickr links.
*** Jeep is driving around and back on DD duty... 7-6-13

This is my third Jeep.

First Jeeps build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-dream-vehicle-903781/
/\ Build thread to my first CJ

My Second (and back up for the LJ)

In late summer 2010, I traded my safe and secure DD for a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ with a few mods. This thread is started to help me keep track of all the things I done with this Jeep and for help and input from fellow Jeepers. I have a "build" direction and an idea of what I want the LJ to look like and how I want it to handle, but I view this Jeep as a life long project. With that said, here she is.

IMG_0093 - Copy
Still on the lot.

It came with:
~51,000 miles
4.0 I6 232
6 speed manual
231tc
dana 30 locked (full time)
dana 44 rear locked (full time)
Clayton belly skid
Big Daddy off road bumpers (f and r) with steering skid
35" x 12.5" BFG KM2
~3" lift-might be RE
~1" body lift
Full cage
Full hard doors
currie/rusty's cross over steering (found this out much later)
and a few other things

This is my third Jeep, but my first DD.

After it got home to meet the other one.

Drove it like that for a while, then started to change it the way I wanted....

Painted Flares

Wheeled it

Wheeled it

Wheeling with fellow member

Replaced the winch on the front with the one that was on my CJ. 8274 are the best

New doors

Wheeled

Added switches

New wheels and tires. MT Kevlars 35"x12.5" on Procomp Steelies

After the new tires went on, I realized the steering need another upgrade. Currently the Jeep is parked until this weekend when the new steering goes on.

I am going to leave it at this. I'm sure there is more that I forgot.

See less See more
#112 ·
Just a little more wheeling and over night camping. Place called catahola rec park. We were the only ones in the whole park, besides the owner who showed us some new trails.

#113 ·
Had to change rear seals in the rear axle early last week before the Jamboree. I did not have time so I took it to a good local shop. They found bad wear from a seal on the axle shafts. So I had them put a yukon in one side. Ill do the other one soon.

Cajun JJ went well. Drove great there and back. Did the hard trail on day one and kept up with all the rest and the medium trail on day 2 and had a blast. A little sheet metal damage and a couple of broken mirror brackets. Very fun wheeling with people from all over, pennsylvania, florida, alabama, mississippi, kansas...

Mostly steep, short, tight hill climbs on day one and then we went to play in the creek bed. Day two was a lot of the same steep, short, tight hill climbs with a lot more mud and normal trail riding. Here is a few of the pictures I have.... Hopefully getting more of me later...

drivers meeting/departure

good down hill decent before lunch on day one

The shorter wheel bases where tipping forward on this one. And to give some perspective, I am standing about 10 feet higher than the actually ground.

first stuck in the creek bed

group on day one

one of my favorites..... trailered only

mirror damage on day two

and where it happened

mud climb on day two

Hopefully Ill get some more from other participants of me later...

Very fun and I will be going to another one.

#120 ·
Thanks. I have been meaning to address a few issues myself, but it is hard to do when there is so much wheeling to do.

Love the western bullet rims on the Chief , they were pricey back in the day so you dont see many of them out there . Nice looking LJ too , though I am a little prejudiced ;)
Thanks for the comments on the two. I miss the chief, but it was way to big, but very fun to drive at 55.

Went to mudfest in central Louisiana this weekend. Only one picture, way to much mud to have fun in plus they had a very bad storm the night before which made it hard to drive around on the "roads". Still fun to go and watch others destroy their equipment.

#127 ·
Thanks! Definitely do every time. Went this weekend and still waiting on some pics and videos. Got pretty suck and almost rolled in a deep mud hole.

Finally started installing the corners. Driver side pretty much done.

#130 ·
A few wheeling pics from last weekend. Camping with an old friend and meeting new ones while jeeping. Great weekend.

We did not take many pictures.... Just rode about 15 trails in two days.

#131 ·
Finished the corners last night. Took about 4-5 hour total to install them by myself. Very good product and I was incorrect when I said the hardware might be off above. Maybe one of the easiest installs I have even done. Highly recommend this kit to anyone. I do not have any finished pictures but will post some when I do. The fitment between the slider that I have and the front edge of the corners leaves a little to be desired, but I think I will just upgrade the sliders as soon as it get on my nerves. If all of rokmen's stuff is this easy, I will return for the next heavy duty body part.

#133 ·
The Jeep has been making some noise around the front since the last wheeling trip. Turns out the dana 30 passanger side u joint broke and was just flopping around in the axle. So, started fixing that last night until I did not have the correct tool to continue (not as hard as I would have thought the job would be). Will continue tonight.

Also, decided to paint the front grill. I have been wanting to for a while, just been lazy. (still without the bezels which we drying).

I think the black in the front kinda makes the back in the back make more sense and not just look like miss colored body panels. Plus there was some damage on three of the grill pieces (from the upright) and dead bugs were starting to eat away at the paint.

I believe it was duplicolor bed liner.

#140 ·
Thanks! I like them too.

The front shaft will be here tomorrow and the jeep will be back rolling soon. And I just purchased a lightly used full soft top. Now to find another set of sunrider hardware to I can modify my old ripped soft top into some type of truck cab.... with a sunrider top. (insert evil laugh)

#143 ·
Engine temps should not drop due to the louvers, he should still be running at normal operating temps around 210. The louver will prevent heatsoak which is when the engine compartment holds in the heat and the engine components become hotter then the normal operating temps. So louvering the hood will allow the engine to run at 210 w/out baking everything else in the engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.