Impact Orange LJ - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #241
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I hate incompetence , and when it is displayed by someone who is supposed to be an expert and wants my money its only worse . Sounds like its time to hunt up a good low mileage Rubicase ...
Its not that bad to tear apart a chain drive case . Removing and installing it is the worst part of the job . Hope the shop takes care of you asap .

Unread 08-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #242
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Now they are saying it is the trans leaking from the top (where the shifter goes in). When I crawled under yesterday before I dropped it off, the liquid did appear to be coming from up above the transfer case, but I could not see up there nor did I look at or above the transmission. It was marroonish purple liquid.

I can not remember what color the trans fluid is tho. Does this sound right?
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #243
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Now they are saying it is the trans leaking from the top (where the shifter goes in). When I crawled under yesterday before I dropped it off, the liquid did appear to be coming from up above the transfer case, but I could not see up there nor did I look at or above the transmission. It was marroonish purple liquid.

I can not remember what color the trans fluid is tho. Does this sound right?
Trans fluid can be purple or red, depending on what brand was used. Sounds like royal purple fluid. Can you try and get a pic of where the fluid is leaking?
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #244
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah. I am very unsure of my mechanical skills but have used write up and video tutorials a lot. I feel as tho it takes me 10 times as long to do stuff..... I guess it is all part of learning.
This improves over time... we all start somewhere but soon come to the realization that nothing can't be done with some basic hand tools and willingness.
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #245
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I believe I used Pennzoil Synchromesh last time. My record book is at the house so I cannot confirm this. Either way, they said it should be ready to pickup today.
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #246
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, it happened again. They called and said it was ready around lunch. And now right before close, it is not ready.
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #247
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, it happened again. They called and said it was ready around lunch. And now right before close, it is not ready.
This shop sounds terrible ... Hope that when it is completed that is correct .
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #248
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So the one day repair is done.... 3 days and a weekend later. Fixed as they claim, but there is still dried oil all over cases. Wet oil on crossmember. Wheel wells had standing water and bed covered with water. Seats wet. I was told this wouldnot have happened if I brought the top and I said it would not have happened if they fixed it in a timely matter the first time. Only the safari top was on like it has been for the last three months with out issues. Shift boot was not attached. Wouldn't start/ needed a jump to get out of the parking lot. And no they didn't charge me. Wow, I was hot. Good thing I got rained out on the drive home in dress clothes. Got some looks.

Lesson learned.
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #249
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats a bummer that they half way fixed it . I say that because it should have been cleaned and covered up after they finished working on it . Clean it up and keep an eye on it , hopefully it is done leaking .
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #250
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Drove to a job site this morning about 1 hour trip each way, and transfer case is covered in oil. On the way back, I stopped by the shop and showed them. Needless to say, after a lot of arguing, they told me they will give me a refund. And it is leaking pretty bad now.
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #251
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would spend some time under the jeep with heavy lighting and watch to see where the leak is coming from while the jeep is running. Make sure to chalk the wheels and focus your attention on the main seal between the trans and motor, as well as the back side of the transfer case. The case might just have a bad gasket or it might be cracked... which can be ficked.
Unread 08-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #252
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I hope it isnt cracked. It doesn't when driving 10 minutes around town, but only at or after interstate speeds.
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #253
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

borrow a gopro and jump on the interstate.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #254
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
borrow a gopro and jump on the interstate.
For what? To see how the ride is or something to do with the tcase. Either way, I do not know anyone with one. All I have is the old iPhone.

Out of town without the jeep this weekend. Spending some time on Bourbon Street to prepare for jeep surgery.
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #255
Paragonchris
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice set of jeeps - Love that wagon
Paragonchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.