Impact Orange LJ - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Impact Orange LJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #226
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,707
A quick shot from yesterday





__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #227
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 4,782
Now we know what happened to the levee's ...

Nice flex shot , almost looks like the rear of the tire is into the armor ? I think I am going to follow your lead and get the Rokmen armor . Any regrets or suggestions ?
__________________
Sanding is teh debil !

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #228
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Nice flex shot , almost looks like the rear of the tire is into the armor ?
The tire is just into the armor when the tire is fully aired up. I am waiting to trim it when I figure out my new ride height and rear fender selection...... Or just when I am less lazy.

Quote:
I think I am going to follow your lead and get the Rokmen armor . Any regrets or suggestions ?
No regret at all. Best piece on equipment I have installed in a while, just make sure you start installing the hardware from the rear to front and it does not matter if you powder coat or paint before you start - according to Jeff at Rokmen. I test fit (without drilling any holes), powder coated, then installed/drilled.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #229
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
The tire is just into the armor when the tire is fully aired up. I am waiting to trim it when I figure out my new ride height and rear fender selection...... Or just when I am less lazy.
What about making some steel fenders ? Thats what I think I am going to do once I get armor . I have been kicking around the idea of moving the filler neck to the back to allow some more room for the rear cage tie in . Maybe something like an older CJ filler .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
No regret at all. Best piece on equipment I have installed in a while, just make sure you start installing the hardware from the rear to front and it does not matter if you powder coat or paint before you start - according to Jeff at Rokmen. I test fit (without drilling any holes), powder coated, then installed/drilled.
Thanks for the tips . When I get back from NYC I hope to have the armor waiting on me . With the Rokmen slider deal I got , I am going to go with them for the armor . I am hoping the lines will match up . If not I can add a little steel where its needed .
__________________
Sanding is teh debil !

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #230
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
What about making some steel fenders ? Thats what I think I am going to do once I get armor . I have been kicking around the idea of moving the filler neck to the back to allow some more room for the rear cage tie in . Maybe something like an older CJ filler .
That is the idea I am playing with. Definitely will have to move the filler neck somewhere (also a good time to do the chevy filler neck mod) since mine will need to accommodate "high lined" fenders. I would like to make some fenders that match the rockers (roller tube tied together with flat steel). Size will be something similar to the genright high lines rears or metal cloaks rears mounted a little high. The only problem that I for see would be that my corners are aluminum, so making steel fenders would present a problem... But I might have to deal with that.... Working on a deal for a welding machine right now.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips . When I get back from NYC I hope to have the armor waiting on me . With the Rokmen slider deal I got , I am going to go with them for the armor . I am hoping the lines will match up . If not I can add a little steel where its needed .
I would think they would line up well, being that they are from the same manufacturer. My rokmen and genright lined up perfectly.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #231
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 4,782
Someone has to have done a CJ style filler on a TJ / LJ right ? Something to search and learn about . I have the CJ filler just need some time to install it . And the Chevy hose at the same time is a good idea . Rokmen Aluminum corners will be ordered while I am gone . I am going to order a quart of paint based on my vin and shoot them to match . Then do the tube rear fenders with flat steel in black to match the fronts . Not sure how high I am going to go , hopefully you will be the guinea pig
__________________
Sanding is teh debil !

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #232
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,707
The LJ's two year (with me) birthday is tomorrow.



On the dealers lot



Today, how it is after 5 minutes of little mudding last night and a rain wash.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #233
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 4,782
Lots of changes over the last two years , just think what the next two years hold .
__________________
Sanding is teh debil !

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #234
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,707
Yesterday as I was pulling into work, the jeep started making a very loud "chirping" bird sound coming from underneath. I thought it was the front drive shaft on its last leg, I put my hand under and moved the DS showing a lot of play. When I left work, It was really loud on the way home and gave me a horrible death wobble. I took it to the car wash and then home. I went to pull the front ds and found a lot of oil and this laying in the skid and a LOT of oil on the 231.



I guess the camping/wheeling trip is off for tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips about removing the 231? I have never done this before. I am pretty sure that I drove the jeep home without fluid (might have leaked out all day, I park on gravel). I am removing it to check the internal gears out.

But I also went and picked this up this morning. I had to use a different shop that usual. I has quoted about $60 for parts (flange and wheel studs) and labor. They tried to invoice me $180. Needless to say, it was the wrong day for that.

__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #235
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 4,782
Been awful quiet ? Hows the t case rebuild / repair coming along ?
__________________
Sanding is teh debil !

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #236
stealthjk
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 27
Amazing LJ!!!
stealthjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #237
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Been awful quiet ? Hows the t case rebuild / repair coming along ?
Mostly frustrated. I tried to drop the t case myself and got it almost out except I could not get the top bolt out because of not clearance (if I do this again, I think I need to loosen the engine bolts to let it drop?). I then put it together and took it the transmission/transfer case shop. They took 6 business days while calling me each morning saying it would be ready that evening.... When I picked it up, they would not give me my front drive shaft, which turned into an argument that I won. Took the jeep and drive shaft to a different shop the next day and while under the jeep with the shop manager we found that the t case is still leaking. They are lengthening my front shaft by about an 1". Took the jeep back to the transfer case shop and crawled back under the jeep with the owner, who could not find the leak (because there was a lot of fluid with even some blown on the rear axle). He cleaned it off and I am bringing it back today so hopefully he can actually fix it this time. He said they replaced all three seals (transfercase to transmission, front output and rear output), but it seems to be leaking from the same spot. Anyways, I believe I have learned a valuable lesson hear which is do your own work. I am slow but it I could have gotten the t case removed I would have finished the job is less time and less frustration. I just wish shops would tell you the truth instead of what you want to hear. We will see if they stand by their work or what this afternoon.

Some good news, with the front drive shaft removed I had no wobble at all. I am hoping it will have none after it is lengthened and reinstalled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthjk View Post
Amazing LJ!!!
Thanks. I think so too. When it work, it works well.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #238
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo, sc
Posts: 1,785
lol i think its funny that that shop owner said there was fluid every where and it may not have been from the t case, because where else is atf going to come from with a manual transmission?
__________________
no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #239
B2CARPEN
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Anyways, I believe I have learned a valuable lesson hear which is do your own work. I am slow but it I could have gotten the t case removed I would have finished the job is less time and less frustration. I just wish shops would tell you the truth instead of what you want to hear. We will see if they stand by their work or what this afternoon..
I came to that same realization a long time ago after thousands of dollars lost due to shops not knowing their ****. There is nothing you can't find on the internet these days in regards to write ups or instructions to get er done yourself. It might be frustrating learning to take on big projects on your own for the first time, but you will be satisfied with the end result and you will have that extra reinsurance in your mechanic skills.
__________________
[B][SIZE="1"][I][URL="http://www.indyorv.com/phpbb/index.php"]IndyORV[/URL][/I][/SIZE][/B]
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #240
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
lol i think its funny that that shop owner said there was fluid every where and it may not have been from the t case, because where else is atf going to come from with a manual transmission?
Thank you. That was my point. When I go today, I will politely explain that the trans was leaking before and it is still now. He has my money and will fix it for no additional cost or I will take a refund and try it myself again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
I came to that same realization a long time ago after thousands of dollars lost due to shops not knowing their ****. There is nothing you can't find on the internet these days in regards to write ups or instructions to get er done yourself. It might be frustrating learning to take on big projects on your own for the first time, but you will be satisfied with the end result and you will have that extra reinsurance in your mechanic skills.
Yeah. I am very unsure of my mechanical skills but have used write up and video tutorials a lot. I feel as tho it takes me 10 times as long to do stuff..... I guess it is all part of learning.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 35s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.