I should be working on my thesis - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-16-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I should be working on my thesis

Well I figure I’ve done enough stuff (and asked enough questions) to begin contributing myself. So here is the start of my YJ build
First thing I did was to buy it (which was not straightforward). $3000 was the asking price for a 95 YJ Sahara with 97K miles on it. Saw it on Craig’s list, but when I called, the guy tells me that someone was on the way out to test drive it. I told him that I would call back, just in case, and when I followed up he tells me that while on the test drive, the radiator blew up. Obviously the guy didn’t buy it, and the seller pulled it off of Craig’s list to repair it. I told him that I would still be interested, and that could bring out my mechanic to take a look at it. I figured that my mechanic and I could put in the radiator and maybe I could get it for a reduced price. The guy says “OK” but before I get out there he calls back and says that there is going to be a problem. In California, you have to smog a car before you sell it. He had done this several months prior, but that certificate was going to expire in the next day or two. He was uncomfortable doing the smog test without a radiator (which I don’t’ think would have passed anyway) and so he was just going to fix the radiator, which was going to take a while.
Totally bummed, I started searching again.
I was not expecting to hear from him again, but the next week he calls and tells me the story of the repair. New radiator, thermostat, and a Saturday spent with his friend, had driven the price up to $3500. He said he was sorry, but after the parts and time, he had to increase the price. He said that if I wasn’t interested anymore he would understand, but he still wanted to offer it to me first since I had patiently hung around waiting. The guy sounded honest (and I wanted the jeep pretty badly) so I took my mechanic out there and we went for a test drive. Everything seemed in order, and even at 3500 it was still under the “blue book” value. I told him I would take it! I know I made a good choice (or got lucky with this guy) since after the test drive we are standing in his driveway, and the guys phone rings. Someone had seen the jeep and wanted it. He tells them that he has just agreed to sell it and the dude on the phone offers him 4000 for the jeep. The seller never even flinched; he just said that he appreciated the offer, but that he had committed and would sell it to me.
And that’s how I got the jeep!!

Attached Thumbnails
PICT0012.jpg   PICT0014.jpg   PICT0015.jpg   PICT0018.jpg  

Last edited by Rideout; 10-25-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: smaller pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-16-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Upcomming:

5.25 front speaker installation
herculiner
soft top repair
ipod/amp stereo (in progress)
ammo can console (on deck)
post #3 of 26 Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Before any of the mods I have started, I must confess that the first thing I had done was a new exhaust put in. This was the result of a clogged cat that finally bogged down so bad that I could barely drive it. That, of course, happened on a trail. And i was alone (actually, I was with my girl, and it was her 1st time camping). Arroyo seco del diablo in anza borrego desert.

I ended up limping the jeep back to a tiny trailer town called ocotillo wells. At a bar there called the iron door, a guy offered to help us out. We towed the jeep back to his place, and spent the next three hours pulling the exhaust apart, unclogging the honeycomb in the cat (with a tire iron), and then putting it all back together. This was a giant PITA and I inhaled quite a bit of cat dust cleaning it out. Had I not been a noobie (and if I had a hacksaw) I would have just cut the damn thing apart and kept on going. But I guess this is how you learn.

Anyway, a few weeks later, I had a new cat and flowmaster 40 SUV muffler put in at Ed Hanson's muffler in spring valley (yes, this is a recommendation for those of you in the San Diego area!) The jeep runs (and sounds) great. The only thing that is a little goofy is that he put a chrome tip on the end of the tail pipe. I didn't really need that.

You can see the tip sticking out.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0024.jpg  

post #4 of 26 Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So, I have had the jeep for over a year and a half now, and I am sick of not having any tunes. The jeep came with the remains of a good system, but everything was busted. Deck, amp, equalizer, 6x9 door speakers, 4” speakers in the speaker bar (there was a trunk mod for a sub too)…and none of it worked. When I go camping, I bring a ipod and headphones, and it sucks. This is illegal in California, so when I drive on normal roads I have nothing but my own crazy thoughts to keep me occupied. Thus, I wanted a stereo bad. I eventually decided that I wanted a non-traditional stereo setup for several reasons. First, I kept reading about people ruining their decks with dirt, mud, sand, etc. Second, I liked the idea of not having a deck in the dash (or exposed somewhere else) where someone could rip it off. I live in San Diego and I have had a car stolen right out of my dad’s driveway while I was in the house. Thieves here are bold, and have nothing to lose. If you are not careful, your car will be in Tijuana before you are done buying groceries!! So I wanted things hidden. Finally, I didn’t want to be limited at stream/high water crossings by an amp under the seat.
My decision was to go with a ipod to amp. This bypasses the need for the deck, which saves $ too. To keep it secure, I decided that I would stick the think in a lockable center console. Unfortunately I have no locking center console. I read up and decided on the ammo can mod.
I picked up the ammo can at a army surplus store for $29. I highly recommend shopping around. To ship on of these 22MM ammo cans from out of state is about as much as the can itself
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0056.jpg   PICT0058.jpg  
post #5 of 26 Old 10-17-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing that I have done so far with the ammo can is to scrub it down and herculine the inside of it. I don't know the wisdom of this (considering that I have just insulated the area where I am going to mount my amp with "rubber" paint) but I wanted it quite. This is an experiment and we will see how it goes. I will write more when its done.

What I have managed to finish is my 5.25" speakers in the front speaker pods. Having completed the mod, I can tell you that this was a HUGE PITA!! I am not sure that it was worth it. I spent a lot of time trying to get things to fit, and I can't say if the 4x6's that should go there would have been any worse. Still, I wanted a project that I could work on at night, and I wanted an excuse to buy a metal angle grinder. And I got both!!

The first thing I did was to lower the windshield and then remove the cowls on the dash. Then I unbolted the dash from the body. There are lots of posts on this, so I won't reiterate what has been done before. However, i will say that I left the metal dash cowl attached, and I found this helpful with this mod since I was constantly checking how well it fit with the speakers so it was nice to have it hanging there.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0014.jpg   PICT0096.jpg  
post #6 of 26 Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know how to parse in pics so that you can write beneath them? I have those boxes checked, but the pictures keep coming out on the bottom of the post.

I ordered a pair of pioneer speakers from sonix electronics. They were 40$ for 5.25" speakers, and are not marine quality. Again, being a greenhorn, I want to trash cheapo stuff the first time around.

I like giving credit where credit is due, so I must thank sebastian22 for the pictures of the speaker brackets. I basically followed his design.

I started by making a template out of cardboard that I would use for cutting the sheet metal.

I used some galvanized sheet metal that I picked up from HD. I cut the sheet in half with some tin snips and then using the template I pounded a bunch of nail holes in the metal (in the shape of a circle) to make the imprint for the speaker hole. Then I cut out the circle with a dremmel.

This was crazy, btw. I quickly thereafter went back to HD and bought my angle grinder.

Last, was to drill holes for the speakers (4 of them) and they are offset from the holes that I drilled to mount the bracket behind the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0120.jpg   PICT0097.jpg  
post #7 of 26 Old 10-17-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In fact, you can see how the bracket on the right (above post) is punctuated around the circle that I cut for the speaker. That was how many nail holes I punched in the metal.

In order to insulate the two brackets, I went to an arts and crafts store and picked up some 1/8" foam. I cut it out to match the metal and then sandwiched it in between. I secured the 4 pieces together with the brackets that hold the speakers (they came with the speakers and actually i had to trim a little to get the tiny brackets to fit). Before I put the speakers in, I added a washer and a little cardboard cutout to help secure everything.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0111.jpg   PICT0101.jpg   PICT0105.jpg   PICT0112.jpg  

Last edited by Rideout; 10-18-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: mistake
post #8 of 26 Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the fronts of the brackets. I thought everything was hunkey-dory at this point until I mounted the brackets and realized that the dash wouldn't fit. So I went back and trimmed the brackets some more. I did this with the speakers attached, and despite a million iron filings on the magnet (from the grinding), it worked well.
Even with the trimming, the bracket that holds the speakers still had a nub. I had to actually trim the body of the jeep in order to get it to fit. So I used the angle grinder and cut a notch for the nub to fit in and ground down the edge of the body (this is all beneath the metal dash plate) in order to get everything to fit.

As you can see from the pics, I trimmed quite a bit. I guess the lesson is make sure all your nubs have notches
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0113.jpg   PICT0118.jpg   PICT0119.jpg  
post #9 of 26 Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 AM
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

good looking YJ. They didnt make too many '95 6 bangers.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Still avoiding my thesis

Well, its time to start writing up my herculiner project. This is a little out of order, since I actually did the speakers after the herculiner.

The reason I chose this mod started with ripping out the old carpet in the wrangler. Dirt, dog hair and just plain nastiness; plus who needs carpet in a jeep?!?! Since that time (over the past year) I was getting tired of losing paint and seeing bare metal developing in my tail bed and the driver side floor. Plus, I wanted a noobie project that would get me more familiar with my jeep.

As usual, I feel that there are a ton of standard "herculiner writeups" so I am only going to include the parts about my work that I feel will be useful, arose from different situations that may be relevant to you, things that I feel I solved in a novel fashion, and also crap that I screwed up (with the hope that you learn from me)

I started by stripping nearly everything out of the jeep. I say nearly everything, because I was never able to get the "sports bars" out. I actually started a thread about this because I was unable to remove the torx bolts. I tried PB, BFH, breaker bar, MAPP gas, all to no avail. I only ended up stripping the torx heads on a couple before I quit. I may eventually have to go in and cut the bolts of, but for now I left them there and painted around them. This was a minor PITA, but I still think that the job turned out good (from the perspective of being able to uniformly and completely cover the parts that were obstructed by the roll bars, with herculiner)

Below are a few pics of the Jeep stripped down. I used ziplock bags for organizing and labeling the various screws/bolts, etc., and several apple boxes to store all the parts. Keep it organized/labeled...you will be glad you did!!
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0014.jpg   PICT0018.jpg   PICT0019.jpg   PICT0032.jpg  

Last edited by Rideout; 10-25-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: grammer
post #11 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I then scrubbed the heck out of everything. The Herc kit came with a new flat scotch-brite pad. I found that after long, this pad totally sucked. my hands were tired and I wasn't taking as much of the gloss off the paint as I wanted. I got some stronger scotch-brite pad and I used this little gem that I have had lying around for home improvement stuff. It has tiny pegs that grip the scotch-brite pad and don't let go. And handle is awesome!!

As an aside, I looked for these at home depot, but was never able to find them?!?! So I don't know where you would pick one up.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0194.jpg   PICT0191.jpg  
post #12 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I cleaned everything with MEK, and then set about masking everything. Since I left the roll bar on, I scrubbed, cleaned and masked part of the way up each bar. I went high enough that the end of the herc would be covered by the bottom of the roll bar padding (see the blue tape below). The rest of the bars I left untouched. They still have that nice metallic hunter green

Notice that I didn't tape the lip of the door jamb. I saw that part herc'd somewhere and I liked the look of it. I put masking tape on the outside of the door jamb though. The blue painters tape made a nice line when I pulled it off afterwards. I did the same thing at the tail gate

Also, though not shown, I added a lot more masking tape to the pedals and I was very glad I did!!
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0060.jpg   PICT0054.jpg  
post #13 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In addition to masking tape, I used earplugs. But these are silicone earplugs. You can get them at rite-aid (pack of 12 for $5). There are three cool things about these: one, they make great earplugs; two, you can pinch off tiny pieces and shove them into the bolt holes you want to protect (this cuts down significantly the amount of earplugs you end up using); and three, when you are done you can just leave them in there. i just drove the bolts right in on top of the silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0051.jpg   PICT0053.jpg  
post #14 of 26 Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I hope your thesis isn't about how to re-size pictures

JK

Coming along nicely!

Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Rideout
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
I hope your thesis isn't about how to re-size pictures

JK

Coming along nicely!
Point taken.

Lets try this:
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0123.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.