The I should be studying build TJ build.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 10-26-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The I should be studying TJ build..

I figured i should make a thread to document the process of building up my 2000 TJ so here goes nothing. Probably should study some more as i botched the title...
Currently a Mechanical engineering student(hence the title) and have slowly built this jeep up from when i bought it in May 2013. Have some big plans in the works and hopefully it all works out.
Here is how it sits now (1/10/15)

Here is how i brought it home: Dana 35, 3.07 gears, tube steps, 4 inch skyjacker lift, 33inch duratracs, and a T-Case drop.

Then after only owning it for basically a week i went and sunk it in a nasty mudpit and filled up the rear differential with water and killed the poor dana 35.

Without better judgement in my new jeep years i bought a new dana 35 and installed it.
After doing this i realized that the tube steps were falling off the jeep so i installed a set of JCR rock sliders that i still have today.

I then went on to replace my rear skyjacker shocks with savvy fox shocks along with a AtoZ offroad tirecarrier.

We had a good amount of snow that year so i went out and messed around and was feeling pretty content with the build so far. Still had the UGLY t- case drop

After running some trails in the local area i realized that i needed a front locker so i bought a Aussie and installed it and was amazed by the extra traction that i had. Also installed savvy rear upper control arms.
After owning the jeep for about a year i joined KMA offroad, a local jeep club, and went on their annual beach clean(which would be the first of many actual offroading trips).

After this i was hooked.

The jeep didnt change much from then on until i found a sweet deal on craigslist for a set of MCE front fenders which i had to jump on.

also chopped my front bumper down to a stubby.
Shortly after this i went on my first rock crawling trip up in northern virginia. i quickly learned that 3.07 gears are not ideal for big rocks.
The jeep did great and followed all the bigger guys no problem even with just a front locker and the t-case drop

Almost rollover

surfnfly

After this i installed some rock lights and LED Pods

Took a few more wheeling trips and started to realize that the dana 35 was living on borrowed time and that i didnt like 3.07 gears.

Sooo i did what any logical person would do, i sold the 35 and built a 8.8 with a artec truss, aussie locker, and ruffstuff cover.
I regeared the jeep to 4.56 gears aswell.

I immediately went and climbed the closest thing i could find and was amazed with how much more control having lower gears and a rear locker gave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-26-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After regearing it was time for the clubs trip to Ruasch creek.
Ended up getting there around 4 and meeting up with another guy in the club as we decided to go up a day before the rest of the club.
Arrival.

After unpacking and setting up we ran yellow jacket, pole line, cv trail and a few other blues. Just taking it easy as we had the rest of the weekend.
The next morning before the rest of the club showed up we went to run some of the hill climbs behind the comp course and i promptly got wedged between a rock and a tree. I was winched out and thankfully my tierod manage to straighten itself out after being turned into a upside down U.
Where i got stuck

Stuck.

After being pulled out of this mess we met up with the rest of the club to run some actual trails. We went down crawldaddy and messed around in that area of the park on mostly black and red trails until heading back to camp for lunch. after lunch we went and ran some more trails that i cant remember and then messed around in the comp course. not many pictures unfortunately.

The next morning started out and ventured into the new side of the park and ran some blues/blacks before going to devils den where i was denied multiple times on a ledge where the guy infront of me blew up his rear driveshaft.
After this we headed back to camp to mess around on the compcourse some more.
Made it up the double bump.
I then managed to get stuck once again and push in my rear corner behind the door. My sliders saved me from so much more damage though.

Later on we ran walk the park, crawlers ridge and few other trails.

Damage total: Pushed in corner, mangled gastank skid and tranfercase skid, bent tierod, dented dana 30 cover, crushed rear flares, sheered rear tire carrier.

Best time ever.
Rausch definitely taught me a lesson when it comes to clearance and the strength of certain parts.
Sooo some upgrades where in order.

UCF ultra high clearance 3/8" aluminum skid
UCF 1/4" aluminum oil pan skid
UCF raised aluminum gastank skid.
Poison Spyder front diff cover.
Browndog MML
Savvy BL
post #3 of 28 Old 10-26-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Everything installed minus the GTS:

Even though the duratracs had not failed me yet and always gripped up in the rocks, the sidewalls were to thin and i knew i would tear them soon as i kept crawling bigger and nastier rocks.
I found a great deal on a set of used MTRs with kevlar mounted on aluminum JK pattern rims that i couldn't pass on so i picked those up along with a set of Aluminum wheel adapters.

The bent tierod and stock steering was the next problem that had to be dealt with.
I had a guy in my jeep club build me a new beefier tierod and draglinksetup.
1.25" x .250" A513 DOM Tubing
5/8" heat treated chromoly heims with PTFE liners.

bad picture
Also at the same time i bought the Barnes 4x4 stubby and built a custom grill hoop and stinger with the help of a guy in the jeep club.

hoop tacked on

stinger tacked on

completely welded. painted and support bars on

Gastank skid on

Poison Spyder trail gate installed:

Went and messed around a bit.

To fill in the empy bumper i ordered a ENGO 9000s winch, winch cover, and a motobilt fairlead mount.

best picture i had at the time
2 days later i left for another trip up to some private property in Northern Virginia. same spot as the first time i ever went rock crawling just this time the jeep was a bit more built and it had been raining for a few days before this and had not stopped. it was gonna be a fun trip.
Rest top

I aired down to 8 PSI to hopefully grip the muddy and wet rocks.
First obstacle:

going up the trail:

Smashed my driver side corner and tail light after this picture.
also bent my Tiedrod right after this picture:

Either way it was a awesome trip and cant wait to get up there again when its dry.
So i ordered a set of moabfab aluminum corners with the wheelwell opened up for 37s and holes for led tail lights.
also ordered a set of Maxxima tail lights.
post #4 of 28 Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Installing corners and tail lights:

Finished:

And this where im at today.
FUTURE PLANS
Full Fastback Cage.
Hi Line fenders
Lower it a bit
Longarm/midarm suspension build.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-26-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Although the jeep has come pretty far im at cross road. All the bushings are shot in the sky jacker lower controls, rear trac bar, front trac bar, and upper stock front control arms.
So its come down to three options.
1. most cost effective. Replace all bushings and let it be till spring until i can start the longarm/midarm build.
2. Bolt in solution. Replace all wornout junk with savvy/currie/ metal cloak stuff. Eventhough within the next year itll probably be sold off to redo the suspension anyways.
3. 3 link front, double triangulated rear. Problem is i dont possess the fab skills to pull it off. However i know some people that do have these skills and can teach me.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-26-2015, 07:21 PM
dadzrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00TJTweety View Post
After regearing it was time for the clubs trip to Ruasch creek.
Ended up getting there around 4 and meeting up with another guy in the club as we decided to go up a day before the rest of the club.
Arrival.

After unpacking and setting up we ran yellow jacket, pole line, cv trail and a few other blues. Just taking it easy as we had the rest of the weekend.
The next morning before the rest of the club showed up we went to run some of the hill climbs behind the comp course and i promptly got wedged between a rock and a tree. I was winched out and thankfully my tierod manage to straighten itself out after being turned into a upside down U.
Where i got stuck

Stuck.

After being pulled out of this mess we met up with the rest of the club to run some actual trails. We went down crawldaddy and messed around in that area of the park on mostly black and red trails until heading back to camp for lunch. after lunch we went and ran some more trails that i cant remember and then messed around in the comp course. not many pictures unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvn-3XE2q0g
The next morning started out and ventured into the new side of the park and ran some blues/blacks before going to devils den where i was denied multiple times on a ledge where the guy infront of me blew up his rear driveshaft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z421YBYo288
After this we headed back to camp to mess around on the compcourse some more.
Made it up the double bump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abAkUcTjem0
I then managed to get stuck once again and push in my rear corner behind the door. My sliders saved me from so much more damage though.

Later on we ran walk the park, crawlers ridge and few other trails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYojPYflIZ4

Damage total: Pushed in corner, mangled gastank skid and tranfercase skid, bent tierod, dented dana 30 cover, crushed rear flares, sheered rear tire carrier.

Best time ever.
Rausch definitely taught me a lesson when it comes to clearance and the strength of certain parts.
Sooo some upgrades where in order.

UCF ultra high clearance 3/8" aluminum skid
UCF 1/4" aluminum oil pan skid
UCF raised aluminum gastank skid.
Poison Spyder front diff cover.
Browndog MML
Savvy BL
Awesome!! This is exactly why I want a Jeep lol. Gotta admit the "Best time ever" kinda reminded me how fun it had to be cause I was thinkin damage damage damage watchin the videos haha. Great vids! Thanks for posting. Subscribed haha.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
post #7 of 28 Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered 5 maxxis bias ply trepadors today.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-29-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced lock cylinder and ignition switch today. Also adjusted rear pinion angle as i was getting some serious vibes.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-03-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mounting them tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #10 of 28 Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got them mounted. First test run tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #11 of 28 Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Hydro15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00TJTweety View Post
Got them mounted. First test run tomorrow.
What width are the MCE Fenders? Looking to get some soon. You like em?
post #12 of 28 Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Jeep41
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro15 View Post
look like the 3 inch wide ones. I have them myself and I love em. Had both sides cut and new ones on in less than an hour.
post #13 of 28 Old 12-06-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro15 View Post
3 inch. Matches the rear with the stock flares on. I really like them and the fact that they have not broken or cracked even after being put into multiple trees and rocks.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-10-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did a little wheeling and grabbed some cool pictures.

post #15 of 28 Old 01-10-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
00TJTweety
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hopefully gonna be picking this up Saturday if the plan comes together.

High pinion dana 44 out of a f-250.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.