I shall call him....Tug! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > I shall call him....Tug!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I shall call him....Tug!

Hi there! I figured I've been here long enough to start one of these, so here we go!

First, a little history. I always though Jeeps were awesome, and pretty much always wanted one. However, being a kid in high school, I never had a bunch of money. So, I got what I THOUGHT was a cool car.

This was my first car. A lifted 97 Honda CR-V.

(Note: this is not my CR-V. Mine didn't have a spoiler).

No flex, and the first time I went off-road, I got stuck. Big time. I also managed to snap all of my sway bars too. Awesome!

Anywho, I got to college, started saving up again, and bought this bad boy for $6K with 68,000 on the odometer.

I bought him in November 08 in MA during Thanksgiving break. I drove back to college in a snowstorm, and was thoroughly excited the whole time. Nothing could stop me!

So I went the whole second semester just enjoying having a Jeep, and then I came across this site. Now I am hooked.

First thing I did was upgrade the sound system. I'm a music education major, so music is a big thing for me. No sub, because I need all the room I can get traveling back and forth to college. I also installed this!

The old center console was busted up pretty bad, and it smelled weird. This is much better, only cost me $20, and is very hip.

I also wanted some new wheels. Not wanting to really buy new, I looked on CL for a good long time. I found 5 Cragars for $90!

Granted, these were wheeled a lot, and they were kinda nasty looking. So, I painted them.

Much better.

Then I was looking around at exhausts. I decided on the Magnaflow. Sounds really nice too. Not too loud, but loud enough to make me smile when I press down on the skinny pedal.

I also got a good deal on the tip. It's from a Corsa kit that was supposed to go on a Honda Civic, but the guy who bought had a body kit on, and the tip didn't fit. So, my friend just welded it on for me. Looks pretty good IMO.

(cont. next post)

SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Then I did some smaller things, like paint my fender flares, took the top off, and made some rear-view mirrors when I take the doors off.

And then on my birthday last year, I found my true love. My girlfriend bought me a Rough Country stinger!

Last Christmas, I bought myself the IPF H4 conversion lamps, with X51 Fatboy bulbs. A guy at work also gave me fog lights for free! I don't mind that they are the cheapo Wally world ones, but they work, they were free, and they make me .

195 watt high beam. Over doing it? I think not!

BOOM!

I also made myself a custom light bar for the fog lights. I took a piece of steel, cut it up, and bolted it on. No pic yet, but I'll get one soon.
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

And that's about it. I was also able to pick up a Ford 8.8 for dirt cheap, and I'm just waiting until I graduate to install a lift. I'm definitely going with 33's, but I'm still trying to decide on a lift. I'm torn between the RC 4" or 2.5" lifts.
Unread 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
thickone

2005 TJ Wrangler 

start off with a RC 2.5 you can always up grade later.
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
jeepmanjc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sweet jeep, i think u got a pretty good deal on it.
what is the reason for the name?
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmanjc View Post
sweet jeep, i think u got a pretty good deal on it.
what is the reason for the name?
I just think it's a cool name.

Small update too. I just bought most of the brake parts for the 8.8 I got a while back. No pics, cause I'm not home to receive them. But now I don't have to go junkyard diving.
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
jlax2485
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Call your jeep "Tug Speedman" from tropic thunder
jlax2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing new to update, since I'm still in college at the moment (4 more weeks!). I bought a new oil pressure sensor unit, considering mine is going out on me. I think I might even do a write-up!

I had my Easter break and went down to VA and drove around the Blue Ridge mountains. Took a pic with the girlfriend.

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your trying to decide between the RC 4 or 2.5 go with the 4. My friend has the 2.5, its nice but 4 is better.
Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA88XJDude View Post
If your trying to decide between the RC 4 or 2.5 go with the 4. My friend has the 2.5, its nice but 4 is better.
Awesome reasoning.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
ericson89
2000 TJ Wrangler 

im also looking at the RC 2.5" as well. Good product for a college student's budget (i would know). i say start there since it will work with 33s. if you're not happy then save up a little more later and get the 4
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Awesome reasoning.
I have a feeling that was meant to be sarcastic.

If you want my real reasoning behind it, I just didnt see the point in getting the 2.5 kit, I mean yes its great for a DD/weekend warrior rig with some 31's

but IMO I just think its a waste of money if you want to go a little bigger then its best to just save up and go right for it.

The way I see it is, wheel it with some 30 or 31's and no lift while you save for a bigger kit.

We are all entitled to an opinion and for me I just couldnt justify a 2.5 lift.
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA88XJDude View Post
I have a feeling that was meant to be sarcastic.

If you want my real reasoning behind it, I just didnt see the point in getting the 2.5 kit, I mean yes its great for a DD/weekend warrior rig with some 31's

but IMO I just think its a waste of money if you want to go a little bigger then its best to just save up and go right for it.

The way I see it is, wheel it with some 30 or 31's and no lift while you save for a bigger kit.

We are all entitled to an opinion and for me I just couldnt justify a 2.5 lift.
I'd like to go a bit bigger, and 33's are a reasonable goal for me right now I think. This how I budgeted it. Right now I'm looking at the 4" X-Series.

X-Series - $1000
Tires - $1000
AA SYE - $500
Regear - $1000

I'm pretty sure those are accurate numbers, so it should work out.

And for tires, I was looking at the Duratracs. I can get a sick-nasty deal at Sears Auto, where I work.

OR

Not do anything with the Jeep for a LONG time, wait until these tires go bald, then go all out with my 8.8, find a D44, and throw on 37's.

Last edited by SaxManClay; 04-14-2010 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: more info
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #14
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxManClay View Post
I'd like to go a bit bigger, and 33's are a reasonable goal for me right now I think. This how I budgeted it. Right now I'm looking at the 4" X-Series.

X-Series - $1000
Tires - $1000
AA SYE - $500
Regear - $1000

I'm pretty sure those are accurate numbers, so it should work out.

And for tires, I was looking at the Duratracs. I can get a sick-nasty deal at Sears Auto, where I work.

OR

Not do anything with the Jeep for a LONG time, wait until these tires go bald, then go all out with my 8.8, find a D44, and throw on 37's.
Im in college and I just put a 4" on my YJ (I know the lift is a lot cheaper than yours, I went with RC) and its getting 33's, it is a great choice for someone on our budget.

Your plan sounds great. Re-gearing is like 500 in parts, you wouldnt want to save 500 and do it yourself? Maybe have a friend who has done it and could help you? When I re-gear I will be doing it myself. Just something to think about.
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #15
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

why not go with there 3.25 kit Then a 4 is just a spacer away

Where do you go to school?

Last edited by Cherokee-at-16; 04-15-2010 at 06:30 AM..
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.