how to take good trail pictures? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > how to take good trail pictures?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-29-2002, 05:42 AM   #1
rogncrys

how to take good trail pictures?

I think this is a good place to ask this.
On out most recent outing we took several pics, but when we got home, the pictures didn,t do any justice to the difficulty of the trail.
most of the incline shots looked flat or level.
Any one got suggestions on how to take a pictures to show the trail as it is?

Unread 06-29-2002, 08:41 AM   #2
Falcone

Well, two things come to my mind here...

One, I always try to take the shot from the same elevation as the Jeep...

Two, don't shoot the shot looking up from the bottom or from the top looking down...When taking a shot, make sure your camera is level. Shooting uphill/downhill removes the incline and makes your shot flat.

Also, try to get some landscape in the shot... Trees almost always grow straight up, and compared to the angle of your Jeep will show the angle of the trail...

2000 XJ Sport (His)
-3" Superlift
-30x9.5's
-Rusty's Front tow hooks

1999 TJ Sport (Hers)
-ClassIII tow hitch
-30x9.5 Contra's
Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2002, 06:34 AM   #3
gosling1

I agree with Falcone. If the trail looks too hairy for my 8 year old daughter, she gets out, stands by at a very safe distance and takes the pics. I also have a video camera mounted on the dash. This is going to make one helluva "what I did during the summer" report.

g1

Tango Uniform
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2002, 05:29 PM   #4
lasarus

i will have a video camera mounted to the inside of my roof with a custom braket i made out of .050 Amuminum for when i finally get my jeep and a camera. cant say how good it works, but im sure it will give a good view of the wheelin adventures so everyone can still enjoy the trip....or the stuck as it were. latas las [Eek!]

i tried holdin the camera by myself and it was crap...till the cam gave out...then all was still.....
Unread 06-30-2002, 08:02 PM   #5
OSCAR326

I have found that taking a lot of pics helps when you're trying to get a good one also. I probably get 1 good shot of something for every 10 I take. Could be my lack of exerience too I just purchased and recommend a digital camera for $200 at Radio Shack. It is just a 2.0 megapixel Fuji. But I get about 50 high quality shots on one 32 meg card. As long as there is good light it works really good. Let me see, is there anything else I can ramble on about.......?
Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks
Westin Safari-Bar
Maxtel 6" Off-Road lights
360? of Tint
Thule Roof Rack
Do my new seat covers count?![/COLOR]
OSCAR326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2002, 03:56 PM   #6
RedheadJeepin'Girl

I have the same problems with my photos. The obstacles look cruddy because of where you have to stand, or how close you have to be. Our trails are heavily wooded, so there's no backing up and getting a nice wide range shot. Ah well.

My web page:
[url]http://www.geocities.com/redheadedjeepingirl/index.html[/url]
RedheadJeepin'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2002, 04:57 PM   #7
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've studied art for years (art was my major in college) and there were many things that I've learned from it that have helped me with my pics. Angles creat intrest. Don't just take a straight on shot of the jeep get part of the front and and part of the side. Like stand at the corner of the jeep and walk away at a 45 degree angle and then take the shot from there. Always look at whats going on in the background. Make sure its not too busy with other cars or signs or distractions that takes away from your main focus. Also try to take shots in 3rds. By this I mean split up the picture into three equal sections and fill 2 with the jeep and one with the sky or ground. or go 2 with the sceniery and 1 of the jeep. Also don't always put the Jeep right smack in the middle of the shot. Its always good to get the 'whole picture' of what you hitting on the trail. You know what is was like but anyone else will just see your jeep and a rock. Not an entire mile of Yugo sized boulders you climbed over. Also the best light comes near the end of the day. when the sun is about to set and you get great long shadows with that orange glow. The light is just perfect for pictures and creates an awesome shot. And don't just jump out and take the picture. take your time looking through the viewhole at different angles. Walk around the jeep. If you jump out and it doesn't look right crouch down a foot or two and that may be all you needed for a super shot! O and whatever you've heard about the faster the better the film is crap. The faster the film the grainer the shot will be. The slower the film the tighter the grain and the shot will be clearer and look way better. I usually get 200 speed film or 400 if I'm going to be out late. the 800 film is great for when its low light and you dont' have a flash. But digital so with them its how big of megapixel you can afford.

Ok that was a LOOOOng post , but I hope it helps. good luck guys!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.