Holm-z's TJ build... work in progress - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Holm-z's TJ build... work in progress

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #106
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller02TJ View Post
ive heard that before. can you tell me why? Holm-z what do you think?
Better traction(more weight on less contact patch), smoother on road/daily driving,lighter in weight(ie:less rotating mass, more power to ground, less wear and tear on components like ball joints, unit bearings etc), less wheel scrub(less wear and tear on steering components), narrower so easier to keep inside the flares(inspection/legal reasons) while not having to add washers to your steering stops which will increase turning radius.............a pretty significant list of reasons. I briefly used 33x12.5's and switched right over to 10.5's..........I'll never go back to a 12.5" wide tire on a TJ/LJ again. My 35's(which I use for more difficult trails where the extra clearance is needed) are 10.5's too.

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #107
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Better traction(more weight on less contact patch), smoother on road/daily driving,lighter in weight(ie:less rotating mass, more power to ground, less wear and tear on components like ball joints, unit bearings etc), less wheel scrub(less wear and tear on steering components), narrower so easier to keep inside the flares(inspection/legal reasons) while not having to add washers to your steering stops which will increase turning radius.............a pretty significant list of reasons. I briefly used 33x12.5's and switched right over to 10.5's..........I'll never go back to a 12.5" wide tire on a TJ/LJ again. My 35's(which I use for more difficult trails where the extra clearance is needed) are 10.5's too.
good info thanks
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #108
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I personally love the 12.5 wides. It has great contact for off road and I think they look great under a jeep. 10.5 wides are certainly better in the snow due to being narrower but ive never driven the 10.5's off road so I cant really comment on that.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #109
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are the pics of the wiring I did. I jumped all the grounds together and go out to a single ground point. The yellow wires are all the switch lights that go to a dash illumination wire if I can find one, those are also jumped together as they pull minimal current. The Red wires are 12V powers coming in from the relays under the hood and the Blue wires are all the outgoing powers to each specific aux item. I put all the Power (red) wires & Aux (blue) wires to their own 9 pin quick disconnect that way if I ever need to change out a switch or pull the panel I will only have to unplug the two plugs vs. take all the wires out. Each wire is labed to which number pin on the disconnect as well as what Item it controls.

I then Ziptied all the wires together to keep them clean and managable when I finally install them on the dash.

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #110
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also labeled the harness as well to avoid any confusion.

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Unread 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #111
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm-z View Post
I personally love the 12.5 wides. It has great contact for off road and I think they look great under a jeep. 10.5 wides are certainly better in the snow due to being narrower but ive never driven the 10.5's off road so I cant really comment on that.
I briefly used some 33x12.5's off roading, and they feel heavy and clumsy compared to their 10.5" counterparts. I am getting marginally better traction offroad with a 10.5" AT vs. a friend's 12.5" MT. Noticeably better grip through mud and wet boulders,rocks etc.........tires tend to steer easier and more nimble through the rocks,mud, on the pavement as well etc......and then there is on road ride quality......big difference there, alot less road noise and vibs through the chassis.

Looks is definetly a personal thing. From the side they look the same. From the front 12.5" wides don't look proportionate to me at all, look way to chunky. A 10.5" tire with a nice lightweight and narrow 15x7 rim with proper backspacing in the 3.5-3.75" range to widen the track a few inches and bring the tires right out to the edge of the flares looks right on to me be it either a 33" or 35" tire.
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #112
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I briefly used some 33x12.5's off roading, and they feel heavy and clumsy compared to their 10.5" counterparts. I am getting marginally better traction offroad with a 10.5" AT vs. a friend's 12.5" MT. Noticeably better grip through mud and wet boulders,rocks etc.........tires tend to steer easier and more nimble through the rocks,mud, on the pavement as well etc......and then there is on road ride quality......big difference there, alot less road noise and vibs through the chassis.

Looks is definetly a personal thing. From the side they look the same. From the front 12.5" wides don't look proportionate to me at all, look way to chunky. A 10.5" tire with a nice lightweight and narrow 15x7 rim with proper backspacing in the 3.5-3.75" range to widen the track a few inches and bring the tires right out to the edge of the flares looks right on to me be it either a 33" or 35" tire.
just not a big selection of 33x10.50
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #113
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

just not a big selection of 33x10.50
I agree thankfully my 3 favorite tires are available and are suited perfectly for NE wheelin. :-)
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #114
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree thankfully my 3 favorite tires are available and are suited perfectly for NE wheelin. :-)
im thinking about the KM2s
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #115
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm-z View Post
Here are the pics of the wiring I did. I jumped all the grounds together and go out to a single ground point. The yellow wires are all the switch lights that go to a dash illumination wire if I can find one, those are also jumped together as they pull minimal current. The Red wires are 12V powers coming in from the relays under the hood and the Blue wires are all the outgoing powers to each specific aux item. I put all the Power (red) wires & Aux (blue) wires to their own 9 pin quick disconnect that way if I ever need to change out a switch or pull the panel I will only have to unplug the two plugs vs. take all the wires out. Each wire is labed to which number pin on the disconnect as well as what Item it controls.

I then Ziptied all the wires together to keep them clean and managable when I finally install them on the dash.

looking good.
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #116
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you get those connectors?
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #117
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
im thinking about the KM2s
The KM2's were my 2nd pick if I couldn't get a good deal on the Duratracs.

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #118
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
looking good.
Thanks, Took me quite a while but I wanted it correct the first time instead of chasing problems over and over.

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #119
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedJeep View Post
Where did you get those connectors?
I got them at Radio Shack. They are a standard 9 pin male/female interlocking connectors, I bought 2 males and 2 females. They had a bunch from 4 pin to 12 pin. I figured 9 was plenty, gives me a few spaces for further accessories.

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #120
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

so FINALLY got all the lights mounted and wired up as well as the relays and switches all connected. Only thing left for that is to clean all the wires up with zip ties and put them in the flex-tube thing and actually mount the relays. Also while I was under my jeep, I noticed my rear ujoint is basically blown apart. Great, another thing to add to the list... Good thing I found this before I did decide to put it on the road.

Im at work for the next few days so that will have to wait till later in the week. Im going to replace both Driveshaft ujoints since I'll have it all apart anyways.

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265

Tags
1998 , nh , sport , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.