Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Holm-z's TJ build... work in progress

44K views 298 replies 12 participants last post by  Holm-z 
#1 ·
This is my first attempt at a Build thread so bear with me... :rolleyes: I figured I probably should start one more or less for myself so I can remember all the things I have done, should have done, should NOT have done :brickwall: and what not. So here it goes, and in no particular order as Im just gonna update as I remember. :cool:

So Ive owned my 98 TJ since 2003, but only recently (last few years) started to build it up slowly as time and funds allow.

Ive wheeled it quite hard over the years and am extremely impressed with how well it has done. Of course I have been stuck numerous times but ive also been on trails where CJ's with 6"+ of lift and 35's had trouble and I still made it. :cheers:

This was my DD since spring of 2003 - fall 2008 so nothing too drastic of changes occurred in that time frame. Ill update with pics as I find them, although most of the work was done before I ever thought about taking pics to make a build thread. So bear with me and enjoy! :cheers2:

#134 ·
Bought 6 cans of rustoleum to spray on my tub before I start monstaliner. Still haven't prepped the tub or anything yet, I'm working 12 days in a row so probably won't get to it until next week sometime.

#135 ·
Just finished your thread , I am so glad I live in the south and we dont have the rust to fight like you guys do . It was funny to see Rutland mentioned as I stayed there for a few months when I was working in South Royalton . Anyways , keep up the good work the switches turned out awesome .

#136 ·
G Beasley said:
Just finished your thread , I am so glad I live in the south and we dont have the rust to fight like you guys do . It was funny to see Rutland mentioned as I stayed there for a few months when I was working in South Royalton . Anyways , keep up the good work the switches turned out awesome .
Thanks man! Yeah rust is such a pita!! It's on just about every car truck trailer around up here.

#139 ·
Hey guys, sorry been busy with work as well as working on the race cars. I've sanded, washed then sanded the spots I missed the other day. Tonight was the first coat of rustoleum primer.

Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood

Hood Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

#140 ·
HighRoller02TJ said:
i still have the bestop windjammer and tonneau cover to give you. if i decide to go to go topless day NH i can give them to you then, im not sure if im going or not. how about you?
Nice dude, thanks. I'm planning on going with my jeep if I can get it inspected by then, if not I may or may not go, depending on what else I got going on. Hopefully once race season starts, the cars will be on the trailers and my other garage bay will be open, If you still want to do that body lift.

#142 ·
Nice. Ive been soaking the bolts everyday. Before i install the lift i want to take every body mount bolt out and back in so when the lift is installed there is no dealing with broken bolts. so far i have 1 rear broken bolt to remove and the front body mount came out clean. working on the sides this week

#146 ·
goducks3620 said:
you might want to pry out one of those metal drain plugs on each rear passenger well, that is what I did on mine before monstalining it. The JK oval plugs will fit in there and you'll want some drainage options back there.
I can pry them off? I was just gonna drill a 1" round hole in it and use the same plugs as the front. Ill have to go out and see cause that may work better, thanks for the tip

#149 ·
also, it'll roll easier if you remove those seat belt brackets and rear seat brackets. just put some earplugs or twisted paper in the holes. just take pictures so you can remember how to reassemble them :laugh:

you can see how I did mine in post #201 on the "Monstaliner interiors and exteriors" thread if that helps.

#150 ·
Yeah I did remove the rear seat/seat belt/tailgate brackets as well as the seat belt retensioners, just haven't taken a pic of that yet. 3 of the rear seat bracket bolts broke, so I bought some 1" grade 8 bolts and washers/locknuts to use for when I re-install it. Im also going to be putting in seat risers in my front seats as well.

Im going to use earplugs but i don't have as many as I thought so Ill have to grab another packet. Ordered Monstaliner this morning so hopefully next week I'll be laying that in. :monsta:

#153 ·
Im just going with black, easier to hide the spots I screw up on lol. I still have to install my MML, hopefully this Wednesday is my next day off and my buddy is gonna swing by and help me out. I didn't do it when I did the BL because I didn't have any vibes when I drove it. My fan shroud is held on by zipties and its not a very reliable on the trail. Hopefully once the MML is in, the shroud will fit again. I also think my rear driveshaft U-joint is busted due to not having a MML. I do see a quite a bend at the knuckle so hopefully it will lessen once the MML is installed.

So I im all taped off, another vacuum and and wipedown and it will be ready for when my monstaline shows up (tuesday) according to UPS.

Also took off my CAI air filter and washed that. It took 5 rinses in a 5-gallon bucket before the water was finally clean coming off of it. The directions on the bottle said 2-3 so Im glad I did this as well!

#156 ·
Got the rear driveshaft u-joints in today, can't believe how bad one of them turned out to be!!! So glad I replaced them before even attempting to drive it around! Also got it vacuumed and cleaned up again, tomorrow morning I'm going to put the monstaliner in.

Automotive tire Gas Rim Thumb Auto part

Cloud Automotive lighting Light Sky Automotive tire

Gas Household hardware Thumb Metal Auto part

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

#158 ·
Monstaliner is in!! It was actually easier than I thought. Did the 1st layer thick but not thick enough as I should have, the second coat I really loaded it up. It looks really good! No pics as of yet, I'll snap some when I get home.

#159 ·
as of 5/9/13, All U-Joints topped off with grease as well as all joints in the front end, put some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner in the gas, Did an oil change with Castrol 10w-30 and 1 qt of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, Monstaliner is in, Intake Air filter has been cleaned and battery has charged!

Took it out for its maiden voyage of 2013 that night! No top or doors and cruised for about 30 miles, just as we were getting back to town... got caught in a HUGE rainstorm and it was even hailing! Glad it made it and glad the monstaliner did its job! It held up nicely and the water drained nicely out the drain holes. Well worth the investment in that stuff!! Should have done it years ago.

Also took it out again yesterday for a trip around town, she's driving pretty good. Still having some loss of power issues which im thinking is the cat converter being plugged or a fuel pump issue. Im leaning towards the Cat because the last few times I went wheeling, I sank her deep and im sure its caked in thick mud still. But it's not throwing any codes so that doesn't help. Still have to get it inspected, but that should hopefully be next week sometime.

#161 ·
HighRoller02TJ said:
did you make it to Rumney?
No I didn't, I wanted to go but had too much going on. Had to finish up working on 2 of our race cars to get them ready for tonight's race, also had a family surprise visit so that took up most of the day and my girlfriend had to work 7pm that night so we just decided not to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.