Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Holm-z's TJ build... work in progress

44K views 298 replies 12 participants last post by  Holm-z 
#1 ·
This is my first attempt at a Build thread so bear with me... :rolleyes: I figured I probably should start one more or less for myself so I can remember all the things I have done, should have done, should NOT have done :brickwall: and what not. So here it goes, and in no particular order as Im just gonna update as I remember. :cool:

So Ive owned my 98 TJ since 2003, but only recently (last few years) started to build it up slowly as time and funds allow.

Ive wheeled it quite hard over the years and am extremely impressed with how well it has done. Of course I have been stuck numerous times but ive also been on trails where CJ's with 6"+ of lift and 35's had trouble and I still made it. :cheers:

This was my DD since spring of 2003 - fall 2008 so nothing too drastic of changes occurred in that time frame. Ill update with pics as I find them, although most of the work was done before I ever thought about taking pics to make a build thread. So bear with me and enjoy! :cheers2:

#2 ·
Here is a few pics of when I just got the rims and tires back in summer of 2004.

Attachments

#3 ·
It originally came with a spice soft top but it was starting to fray around the plastic that snaps in above the doors, and the drivers side zipper on the door skin went bad so I tossed it. I ordered a Topdawg aftermarket hard top with upper sliders. I LOVE IT! its got a 3 position sun roof, roof rack, carpet lined and rear defrost with rear tinted windows.

#4 ·
Nice combo with the spice and the green, may i suggest taking off those tail lights covers? I had them and they made nice dents in the back of my tj.

#5 ·
Ya I have been thinking of taking them off.. Although they have been on there for years and been no issue yet (key word YET). lol

#6 ·
installed new stereo and some 6.5" speakers in the soundbar a month ago. Now I can plug my Ipod into my receiver and actually hear the songs over the wind!

Attachments

#7 ·
Installed KC slimlights on windshield recently and had the daylighters on the bumper for some time now. pretty freakin bright with these babies on!

Attachments

#8 ·
I attended the "Go Topless Day" event held by Allthingsjeep.com in Jaffrey, NH this weekend. What an event! There was TONS and TONS of jeeps, from old willys to brand new JK's and everything in between. They had 3 trails you could ride (stock, moderate & extreme) food, Beer (for after the ride) :cheers2:, music, vendors, Ramps and raffles. The weather was great and met some cool people. Also had my GOPRO so hopefully Ill figure out how to upload some videos and post em up!

I took my Jeep on the moderate and extreme rides.. Im very impressed with how it did with no lockers or winch! Didn't have to get pulled out at all! One minor body dent along passenger rocker panel but no worries :cool:

#13 ·
Few more pics... Installed cb radio and 3ft firestik antenna

Attachments

#17 ·
I have only taken the upper doors off 2 times since ive owned them. Its a pain to screw them in and out when i could just take the doors off completely. I do like them when they are on cause they seal well and its also a good height for an armrest vs. the half door is a little too low for me.

#18 ·
So I was driving yesterday and noticed it was pulling to the right. Sure enough i check and notice that the brake is stuck. I limp it home and pull off the tire and the caliper and the brake pad just falls right off...

Attachments

#20 ·
Holm-z said:
So went to the store and bought all new pads and rotors for the front...
Pics..

Attachments

#21 ·
Got the brakes all installed and they work well. The pedal is a little spongey but it stops ok. I'm gonna give it a few days and maybe bleed the brakes again to see if that helps.

#25 ·
Bought a small electric pressure washer this weekend from Lowe's. 1700psi for $100, couldn't pass it up. Just another small addition to the Jeep.

#27 ·
Couple things over the past few weeks, nothing major. Got a 2nd fire extinguisher and also put a bruins flag on my CB Antenna to show some love for the STANLEY CUP CHAMPS!!! also put the bikini top on for those times stuck in the rain... A little too late since i was stuck in some rain but the girls in the back didn't mind lol. neither did I!

#28 ·
Also had the brake lights go out on me the other day. Tracked it down to a 20A fuse in the glove box that blew. Popped a new fuse in and she's good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.