A Hokies 04' TJ build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Hokies 04' TJ build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #121
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

ordered some waterproof connectors for the locker pumps and the axle lock switches in the diffs to work with the 18 guage wire I picked up. WPK-2-20-18 - WeatherPack 2 Pin Kit 20-18 AWG

Should make for a clean install. after seeing another club members wiring, I'm determined not to make a mess of this wiring project. wish me luck. the connectors should make hooking up and removing the axles and pumps easier, cleaner and more professional looking.

also picked up a harbor freight heat gun for all the heat shrink. For $8 i really cant complain, but hopefully it works well.

connectors.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #122
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not much to show but I did receive the threaded bungs from ruffstuff and some electrical supplies I ordered from superbrightLEDs.

image-3088135074.jpg

image-3575551400.jpg

image-600172186.jpg

Going to start mapping out the locker pump wiring and/or get a start on the rear brake lines.

A Hokie build

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #123
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So a question to anyone who knows how the axle lock switch in the diff works. Should the switch in the diff be operated by 12v or a ground.

The switches I want to use have two lights in them. The upper light is lit when the switch is pressed. The lower light is independent and I will be using it to identify when the lockers are locked by using the indicator switches built into the axles.

This picture shows the two options. Top is using ground through the axle switch and the lower is using the 12v method.

image-835448630.jpg

The picture is simplified for drawing purposes. But I will be adding a master switch and a second locker pump/switch/indicator into the final product.

I think I remember reading the axle switch being run off a ground line in rubicons.

EDIT this is not how I wired my lockers... continue reading a few posts.

A Hokie build

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #124
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the metalcloak duroflex joints in today, earlier than I expected them. They look beefy as hell.

image-1275677516.jpg

image-3315317217.jpg

Only thing I am not 100% pleased with is the threads. Some of them have dings in them from shipping and some of them have slag or something in the threads. The jam nuts get caught in the dings and slag and I have to use a wrench and a vise to get the jam nuts all the way down. Not a deal breaker but just a little annoying for something brand new. Hopefully the picture shows what I'm talking about.

image-567758251.jpg

I have heard good things about metalcloaks attention to detail in shipping their products and I think they need something more than a little bubble wrap for these beefy joints.

image-2929773413.jpg
image-1657199095.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #125
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Small progress but I did get the pumps mounted.

image-898869943.jpg

image-2489497866.jpg

image-4163845129.jpg

Also got my bike rack modified so I can start riding my mountain bike around the local lake again. Had to cut and extend the mounting plate 3".

image-3766360444.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #126
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to replacing my camshaft synchronizer. Old one was toast. Also replaced the plugs with autolite APP-985 with a .040 gap. Jeep idles noticeably better now, but still wants to drop a little. I'll keep an eye on it.

image-2713108195.jpg

image-761883172.jpg

image-1859655431.jpg

Also picked up new rotors, got my reman rear calipers in the mail, and my OTRATTW switches came in.

A Hokie build

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #127
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

got my locker switches and pumps wired and installed this weekend. I also removed a burnt out backup light and cleaned up the wiring under the hood for my windshield lights.
there was alot of dremel work involved with getting the switches installed, it was tedious and time consuming, but i think the time spent was worth it. these are the contrua V series rockers from OTRATTW. all the rockers are wired into the dash lights and light up at night.

locker power switch provides power to both F&R pumps and acts like a safety switch.

next i need to pick up some diodes and wire the diff sensors into the dashboard locker lights.

FYI, the wiring diagram i posted a little while ago it NOT how I wired these up. hopefully i will have time to redraw my actual wiring diagram.
dash2.jpg   dash1.jpg   dash4.jpg   dash3.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #128
CloakedLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to the wiring update, as I will need to tackle it soon too.
CloakedLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #129
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I put together the wiring diagram for my locker pumps and switches. i'm sure there are other possibilities, but this is the method I used.

one note about the switches... the blue lower light is a little bright at night, you might talk with the OTRATTW guys about using their 18V switches as they claim the lights are 1/3 dimmer than thw 12V switches. I may put a resistor in the dash wiring lights to dim them a little. Ill have to do some reseach about the particulars of resistors, but I understand the general principles...

as you may have noticed i have a 4th switch for my windshield lights. The wiring for the lights was already present, but I did add the dash light circuit into that switch (pins 6&7). if/when i get a 5th switch ill continue to add onto that circuit.

The lockers pull something like .5 Amps each, so there is no concern about adding them onto the cigarette lighter circuit.

I will be adding another circuit to use the dash locker lights to indicate when the lockers are acutally locked. Ill draw up a wiring diagram for that when I finalize the wiring and ensure everthing works.

Hope this helps...
locker-pump-wiring.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #130
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wired the dash lights to be ready for the axle swap. The diff sensors will complete the circuit and turn their respective dash light on when locked. Diodes are required to prevent any possibility of power going onto the dash and frying it. The diodes also ensure that the dash sees two separate ground signals from a single ground thus preventing the lights from flashing.

So now I know when the pumps are running if the switch lights are on and if the axles are properly locking using the OEM dash lights.

I'll post a wiring diagram tomorrow.

Also tried to dim the switch lights but the resistors I bought were not resistive enough and the lights didn't dim at all. So I need to pick up different resistors tomorrow to complete the wiring.
image-2265687524.jpg   image-3980265993.jpg   image-3995235081.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #131
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

here is the wiring diagram for using the locker lights in the dash of a non-rubicon TJ tied into the differential switches from Rubicon D44's. and the diodes.
locker-light-wiring-diagram.jpg   image-68623961.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #132
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the OTRATTW lights dimmed properly. Needed two 10k ohm resistors, which is actually only 5k ohm. Either way they are much closer to the stock dash lights now.
image-3713206665.jpg   image-3560494231.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #133
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also got some pictures of the rockers on with the dash locker lights on.

I think this turned out very nice if I don't say so myself.
image-2307613048.jpg   image-1736917004.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #134
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't mind, how much will your 4 link run you? I calculated mine out and I think it came out to around $1,500 minus the actual arms. To make a complete arm you have to order the joint/threaded housing, jam nuts, and threaded bungs? Gerald recommended I call Andrew at Letzroll for some custom arms. Not sure how much that'll cost me.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #135
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21
If you don't mind, how much will your 4 link run you? I calculated mine out and I think it came out to around $1,500 minus the actual arms. To make a complete arm you have to order the joint/threaded housing, jam nuts, and threaded bungs? Gerald recommended I call Andrew at Letzroll for some custom arms. Not sure how much that'll cost me.
Yeah something like that. All I know for certain is that it's more than I originally expected it to be.

Frame mounts
Axle mounts
Control arm joints/jam nuts/threaded inserts/DOM
Brake lines / calipers/ misc fittings
E-brake
Pump switches/electrical supplies/air line
Exhaust work
Paint
Fluids
Coil buckets

**** adds up fast.…

I got my axle with a truss/diff cover , 4.88s, chromoly shafts. Which saved me quite a bit of money in building the axle itself.

My thoughts on the custom arms…. If you can fabricate everything else for a 4 link. Then you can cut and weld some DOM for the arms. No sense in having some custom made when you can make them yourself.

A Hokie build

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.