So the currie steering and ruffstuff diff cover went in last night. no interferences from steering stop to steering stop. wheels straight there is roughly 3/4" between the cover and the tie rod. full left and right it gets closer, but never touches; at least on the road.
I can't get the steering wheel straight at the moment though. The drag link and pitman arm TRE are making contact inside the adjuster sleeve before i can get the wheel straight. Ill have to take off the TRE and cut it down roughly 1/2" then reinstall it so i can get the wheel straight. i'm not jumping into this yet b/c i still plan to put a 3/4 coil spacer in the front to level the jeep out and to get the tires out of the flares. so with that additional 3/4" spacer i might end up with enough room so that i dont have to cut the TRE.
the pitman arm TRE also doesnt want to accept grease at the moment. i'm thinking the angle of that TRE is too much for the 2.5" lift and thus binding the TRE up a little. again the 3/4" spacer will help here as well.
wheeling on saturday at Rausch Creek with three other buddies from my local club. Last muinute trips always seem to be the most fun. Seems like everytime i go wheeling i have something new to test out.
I'm thinking this will be my last wheeling trip for a few months, at least until november, which should give me some time to get the 3/4" spacer, front bumpstops and steering dialed in. Also might give me some time to get a sport or full cage installed (pending funds and club help). The two bad rollovers i have seen have been on simple trails where people are a bit unsuspecting and get caught off guard, then all of a sudden they are upside down.
recent trip to RC was a success. only damage on my jeep was to my fenders (damn trees). steering and diff cover worked just fine. only problem is keeping the diff cover bolts tight. i think I'm going to countersink the bolt holes on the diff and get some new bolts.
I got up and over without hitting the t-case skid but a tiny bit. had to pull the winch cable out and pull myself forward 4 inches.
And one of the group at the end of the day, minus the buggy on 44"s, due to a hole in the trans.
I reached out to Brown Dog Industries for some possible help getting some rubber replacements. apparently rubber mounts are much more expensive to produce which is why so few companies invest the money into producing them. A few emails later talking with Tim at Brown Dog i was able to give him some rough measurements that i got from Ruffstuff and he thinks he may have something on his shelf that will work. within the hour he had one being shipped to my door. if they do work Tim and I work out the details. but i see this being something that brown dog and ruffstuff could team up on. allowing ruffstuff to sell rubber mounts.
this set up would be ideal b/c i already have rubber brown dog motor mounts. i feel the mounts would compliment eachother nicely.
Either way Brown Dog is an awesome company to work with.
The brown dog bushing came yesterday. I haven't taken the crossmember or skids down yet but I believe the bushing will fit into the ruffstuff kit. The only snag at this point is the sleeve from brown dog accepts a 1/2" bolt and the ruffstuff kit uses a 9/16" bolt. So I may have to have to find a new sleeve or have this one milled / drilled out to accept the ruffstuff bolt. I'll be on travel this week so I'll have to dig into it next weekend.
On other news I replaced my IAC with a new one from advanced auto. The parts look different but so far it appears to function properly.
Oil change and rear diff fluid change too.
And my attempt to save some money on my currie steering is going to cost me more. I've had a little slop in the steering ever since I put it in and finally got a chance to do a dry steering test. Both TREs on the drag link are bad. So replacements will be ordered this week. $120ish for the drag link and another $55 for the drag link TRE.
Before these new parts go in I will have to cut ten down to be able to fit and have he steering wheel straight again.
This makes 5 times I've replaced / removed / fixed my steering. trying I save money is costing me a lot of time under the jeep. But I guess thats why I like tinkering so much.