A Hokies 04' TJ build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Hokies 04' TJ build

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #46
mj24lyons
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome work so far, keep up the good work!

mj24lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #47
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj24lyons View Post
Awesome work so far, keep up the good work!
thanks,

it's a work in progress.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #48
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So the currie steering and ruffstuff diff cover went in last night. no interferences from steering stop to steering stop. wheels straight there is roughly 3/4" between the cover and the tie rod. full left and right it gets closer, but never touches; at least on the road.

I can't get the steering wheel straight at the moment though. The drag link and pitman arm TRE are making contact inside the adjuster sleeve before i can get the wheel straight. Ill have to take off the TRE and cut it down roughly 1/2" then reinstall it so i can get the wheel straight. i'm not jumping into this yet b/c i still plan to put a 3/4 coil spacer in the front to level the jeep out and to get the tires out of the flares. so with that additional 3/4" spacer i might end up with enough room so that i dont have to cut the TRE.
the pitman arm TRE also doesnt want to accept grease at the moment. i'm thinking the angle of that TRE is too much for the 2.5" lift and thus binding the TRE up a little. again the 3/4" spacer will help here as well.

wheeling on saturday at Rausch Creek with three other buddies from my local club. Last muinute trips always seem to be the most fun. Seems like everytime i go wheeling i have something new to test out.

I'm thinking this will be my last wheeling trip for a few months, at least until november, which should give me some time to get the 3/4" spacer, front bumpstops and steering dialed in. Also might give me some time to get a sport or full cage installed (pending funds and club help). The two bad rollovers i have seen have been on simple trails where people are a bit unsuspecting and get caught off guard, then all of a sudden they are upside down.

A Hokie build

Unread 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #49
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

recent trip to RC was a success. only damage on my jeep was to my fenders (damn trees). steering and diff cover worked just fine. only problem is keeping the diff cover bolts tight. i think I'm going to countersink the bolt holes on the diff and get some new bolts.

I got up and over without hitting the t-case skid but a tiny bit. had to pull the winch cable out and pull myself forward 4 inches.

img_7207.jpg

And one of the group at the end of the day, minus the buggy on 44"s, due to a hole in the trans.

here is a link to the rest of the pictures...

A Hokie build

Unread 08-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #50
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

here is the video from my latest run https://vimeo.com/48414658

A Hokie build

Unread 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #51
Trendsetter75
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I guess if you were still to have your GY Duratracs you would of been walking home eh?
Unread 08-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #52
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
I guess if you were still to have your GY Duratracs you would of been walking home eh?
Possibly walking home yeah. the Duratracs may be good for certain terrain, but not for alot of the wheeling i do. again, this is the 33x12.5x15 with a 2 ply sidewall we are talking about.

A Hokie build

Unread 09-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #53
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

now that the top and doors are back on for the fall, the vibration from the polyurathane crossmember mounts has gotten on my last nerve.

I reached out to Brown Dog Industries for some possible help getting some rubber replacements. apparently rubber mounts are much more expensive to produce which is why so few companies invest the money into producing them. A few emails later talking with Tim at Brown Dog i was able to give him some rough measurements that i got from Ruffstuff and he thinks he may have something on his shelf that will work. within the hour he had one being shipped to my door. if they do work Tim and I work out the details. but i see this being something that brown dog and ruffstuff could team up on. allowing ruffstuff to sell rubber mounts.

this set up would be ideal b/c i already have rubber brown dog motor mounts. i feel the mounts would compliment eachother nicely.

Either way Brown Dog is an awesome company to work with.

Fingers crossed it fits.
ruffstuff-bushing-dimensions.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #54
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The brown dog bushing came yesterday. I haven't taken the crossmember or skids down yet but I believe the bushing will fit into the ruffstuff kit. The only snag at this point is the sleeve from brown dog accepts a 1/2" bolt and the ruffstuff kit uses a 9/16" bolt. So I may have to have to find a new sleeve or have this one milled / drilled out to accept the ruffstuff bolt. I'll be on travel this week so I'll have to dig into it next weekend.

image-866102203.jpg

On other news I replaced my IAC with a new one from advanced auto. The parts look different but so far it appears to function properly.

image-302082463.jpg

Oil change and rear diff fluid change too.

And my attempt to save some money on my currie steering is going to cost me more. I've had a little slop in the steering ever since I put it in and finally got a chance to do a dry steering test. Both TREs on the drag link are bad. So replacements will be ordered this week. $120ish for the drag link and another $55 for the drag link TRE.

Before these new parts go in I will have to cut ten down to be able to fit and have he steering wheel straight again.

This makes 5 times I've replaced / removed / fixed my steering. trying I save money is costing me a lot of time under the jeep. But I guess thats why I like tinkering so much.

A Hokie build

Unread 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #55
kelso1337
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good.

You need some sliders before you pretty up your body on those rocks!
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #56
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie

80w-90 here too. The Aussie clicks a lot. Not just sharp turns, most turns. Hopefully the ruffstuff diff cover makes it more quiet.
To quote myself here. The ruffstuff cover has made the Aussie almost invisible. I haven't heard the clicking except for real hard turns.

A Hokie build

Unread 09-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #57
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The brown dog bushings are a direct replacement for the ruffstuff ones. I'll be ordering 3 more from brown dog on Monday. Brown dog bushing on the left, ruffstuff on the right.

The bushing sleeve from ruffstuff even fits in the brown dog bushing.
http://browndogindustries.com/BU2500...-Bushings.aspx
image-3740767383.jpg   image-1578223496.jpg   image-2198792406.jpg   image-2756520043.jpg   image-1789075751.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 09-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #58
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bushing were replaced this weekend. Idle vibrations are all but gone.

Also added a 3/4" spacer up front. Still have a slight rake to the jeep. But it sits more level now. .25" difference between front and rear.

New currie drag link and pitman arm TRE.

also countersunk the bolts on my ruffstuff diff cover.

Tightened my antirock arms.

All in all was a good day in the garage. Got the steering all tightened up so it's perfect now.

A Hokie build

Unread 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #59
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

contemplating a regear and axle swap... stay tuned.

A Hokie build

Unread 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #60
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did you run the SYE without a new drive shaft for a while ?
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.