A Hokies 04' TJ build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Hokies 04' TJ build

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

so here are some of the pictures from the RC trip a few weekends ago.

was a great time, only damage i suffered was a bent tie rod / drag link and a dent in the OEM diff cover.

Had a Chevy P/U destroy his front IFS diff and had a sami roll 2 1/2 times down a hill (J1-2 maybe). had an awesome buggy from our club join us.

p7130551.jpg   p7130568.jpg   p7130569.jpg   img_7057.jpg   p7130602.jpg  

img_6990.jpg   img_6995.jpg   img_7093.jpg   img_7069.jpg   img_7016.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #32
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got a ruffstuff dana 30 diff cover and an older currie correctlync steering set up, from a buddy in my local club.
Got the cover cleaned up and painted today. added a little HOKIE touch.

image-1990033131.jpg

image-2891473295.jpg

image-964880281.jpg

Steering is a bit rougher. Have to get it torn down , cleaned up and get some replacement TREs. Straighten the tie rod, and paint it up. Then I'm thinking before I install it, I'll do the tie rod flip on the drivers side knuckle. Getting the raised sway bar brackets and inserts from black magic brakes co-op. should set me up pretty well for the future.

image-3162251339.jpg

image-4122075621.jpg

image-1382315773.jpg

image-1810990533.jpg

image-213749204.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Be careful with the sway bar brackets and your short lift. The anti rocks rods end up extremely short. Fromme did it on his Jeep so you could try to get in touch with him.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #34
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227
Be careful with the sway bar brackets and your short lift. The anti rocks rods end up extremely short. Fromme did it on his Jeep so you could try to get in touch with him.
I've already cut my antirock links shorter to fit my lift. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks though.

A Hokie build

Unread 08-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #35
Trendsetter75
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
Got on an RTI ramp today after work. Scored a 935 going forward. Tried going up backwards but my passenger fender was seeing a lot of tire lovin' so I stopped before it got worse. Not too shabby…
What size rear bumpstops do you have and also did you trim your rear fenders and if so how much did you shave off?
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #36
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75

What size rear bumpstops do you have and also did you trim your rear fenders and if so how much did you shave off?
I used the 1" OME Bumpstops that came with the lift. And the rear fenders are not cut.

The duratracs nor the MTR'S make contact with the rear fenders.

A Hokie build

Unread 08-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #37
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
I've already cut my antirock links shorter to fit my lift. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks though.
I know that you had already cut them once and have no doubt that you can make it work again. What I was getting at is that the links end up so short that Keith was worried about inverting his AR arms on droop. Not sure if he actually had a problem, but he was concerned. You may want to check with Blaine or Currie about how short is too short for those links.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #38
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post
I know that you had already cut them once and have no doubt that you can make it work again. What I was getting at is that the links end up so short that Keith was worried about inverting his AR arms on droop. Not sure if he actually had a problem, but he was concerned. You may want to check with Blaine or Currie about how short is too short for those links.
thanks for the heads up on them inverting...

went over to my buddies house that helps me with everything. we talked about everything that is required to flip the TRE and he doesnt think I should do it right away. If i keep hitting and bending it, we can always do it later. so i'm just going to rebuild the steering i have and install it in its stock form. should have around $150 into this Currie correctlync set up.

we also put the tie rod into the press and straigntened it out the best we could. i would call it 95% straight.

A Hokie build

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #39
Trendsetter75
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

What weight gear oil did you use for the front aussie locker? Does your locker make noise when you make sharp turns. Mine does, but I have the Spartan locker and I used 80w-90 gear oil on mine.
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #40
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75
What weight gear oil did you use for the front aussie locker? Does your locker make noise when you make sharp turns. Mine does, but I have the Spartan locker and I used 80w-90 gear oil on mine.
80w-90 here too. The Aussie clicks a lot. Not just sharp turns, most turns. Hopefully the ruffstuff diff cover makes it more quiet.

A Hokie build

Unread 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #41
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got my currie correctlync steering cleaned up and ordered new tie rod ends for the tie rod and a SS bracket from Gerald at savvy.

This set up is used and i had to straighten the tie rod in a press and spend some time with a wire wheel and sand paper.

So total cost= $140 for TREs and SS bracket, spray paint, case of blue moon and a little time.

Not bad
image-2406200756.jpg   image-328203798.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 08-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #42
RexVault

That is a very nice ride man, nice work!?
RexVault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #43
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

no pictures, but the TREs from Gerald came in on Saturday (ordered the 9th, received the 11th). Need to assemble the steering and i should be all set to install this coming weekend. Chasing out the threads has been a bear. Have i ever mentioned how much i need a vise? Guess I might as well rotate the tires while i'm at it.

A Hokie build

Unread 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #44
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice come up on the steering kit! Does that Ruffstuff diff cover stick out a lot more than OEM? I've been thinking about getting one but don't want to risk interference....
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #45
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Nice come up on the steering kit! Does that Ruffstuff diff cover stick out a lot more than OEM? I've been thinking about getting one but don't want to risk interference....
I dont think it will be a problem. but I will find out when i go to install it. currently my V8 ZJ tie rod is bent so i dont have a good idea of how much space is typically present between the OEM tie rod and diff cover.

with only 2.5" of lift and the OEM track bar, I should be fine. but who knows. you can bet ill post back after its installed.

If i remember, I will try to take a comparison shot of the Ruffstuff vs stock diff cover when i remove the stock one. but yes, it is deeper than the stock one.

Ruffstuff claims "One of the questions we get regularly is about the tie rod clearance, it is ~3/4" and it clears all of the D30 axle setups we have encountered."

so with 3/4" of space to play with, the Currie steering will make clearance tighter, but doable.

A Hokie build

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.