A Hokies 04' TJ build - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Hokies 04' TJ build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #331
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome build man! I love the cross-member! I may try and steal your design if you don't mind!

jeepster1407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #332
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster1407 View Post
Awesome build man! I love the cross-member! I may try and steal your design if you don't mind!
thanks

the crossmember is very nice to have. I can drop the skids if i need to and not worry about having to put them back on right away.

there are more vibrations inside the cab with the crossmember. the rubber brown dog bushings helped out alot though. there is just no substitute for isolating vibrations than the huge chunk of rubber from the OEM mount.

your TJ looks nice too, I like the pieces you have fabbed yourself. As you can see i'm a do it myself type guy too.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #333
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

going to drop this here for future reference. replica of genright mini boatsides; I plan on building something similar. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/t...ockers-894976/

I should be able to do it for less than $200 vs $500 from genright.

also plan on building a body mounted swing away tire carrier something kind of like this... with my own changes.
untitled3.jpg   untitled4.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #334
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Extinguishers came in the mail today. Mount is back ordered for a week.

Just need to figure out a mount for mine.
image-3509038618.jpg

image-3464181514.jpg

image-687999152.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 02-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #335
AllTerrainJK
OllllllO

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I saw your 3 link pics in the MC duroflex thread and searched for this build thread. I will be fabbing a 3 and 4 link suspension system so I'm doing research. I'm at the point where you replaced the urethane crossmember bushings with BD rubber. I recently purchased the Ruff Stuff bushing kit to replace my UCF lowpro mount and skid. The idle vibes are very annoying. Do you know if RS changed to rubber or are they still urethane? I didn't even think to check when I ordered them. From the things I have read so far you have done a great job on your build. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
AllTerrainJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #336
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTJ View Post
I saw your 3 link pics in the MC duroflex thread and searched for this build thread. I will be fabbing a 3 and 4 link suspension system so I'm doing research. I'm at the point where you replaced the urethane crossmember bushings with BD rubber. I recently purchased the Ruff Stuff bushing kit to replace my UCF lowpro mount and skid. The idle vibes are very annoying. Do you know if RS changed to rubber or are they still urethane? I didn't even think to check when I ordered them. From the things I have read so far you have done a great job on your build. Looking forward to reading the rest.

i never heard back from Ruff Stuff on partnering with Brown Dog to provide rubber bushings in their kit; so I have to imagine they did not. from everything I learned, the rubber bushings are much more expensive to produce than the poly ones, which is why I had a bit of a hard time finding rubber ones.

The guys at Brown Dog were great to work with and very helpful. while the vibes arent gone 100% they are much less evident.

i've been thining about trying to add a third rubber mount in the center of my crossmember where it connects with the trans. i dont think it would harm anything, but i'm also not sure it would help much either.

A Hokie build

Unread 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #337
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was told when I was researching for my trans mount that two bushings at the frame was plenty. Adding another would provide too much movement in the design.

Either hard mount the crossmember to the frame with one bushing, or mount two bushings at the frame and hard mount the trans to the crossmember.
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #338
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven
I was told when I was researching for my trans mount that two bushings at the frame was plenty. Adding another would provide too much movement in the design.

Either hard mount the crossmember to the frame with one bushing, or mount two bushings at the frame and hard mount the trans to the crossmember.
That's the way I designed mine. Two at the frame. Just thinking out loud really. Now that you mention the movement aspect of it all, I wouldn't want to do 3. Good call.

A Hokie build

Unread 02-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #339
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got my fire extinguisher mounted this evening. Bolted straight to the seat frame with grade 8 bolts. Easily accessible and hopefully plenty out of the way. If I find myself hitting it, I'll move it. As of now I think it'll be fine.

Tiny zip ties hold the latches closed securely. They easily break if the extinguisher is needed.
image-2372913904.jpg

image-3152348373.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 02-06-2014, 05:07 AM   #340
AllTerrainJK
OllllllO

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm finally caught up to present on your build. Very nicely done. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. How did you come up with the placement for the frame side brackets? Did you design the geometry using a link calculator?

AllTerrainJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #341
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTJ View Post
I'm finally caught up to present on your build. Very nicely done. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. How did you come up with the placement for the frame side brackets? Did you design the geometry using a link calculator?

the frame brackets themselves dictate alot of the geometry. all i had to do was pick a spot on the frame to mount them. i wanted them tucked close to the tires for ground clearance, not as short as a short arm and not as long as a long arm. the rear arms ended up a little shorter than I imagined, but they still work great.

the other factor is the duroflex joints. they do not like to me misaligned so the link mounts on the axles need to be perfectly in line with the frame side mounts. Unlike a johnny joint that can be misaligned during the build, which would complicate the decision on where to place the axle side mounts.

The vertical separation had to be determined. the truss on the rear diff was tall enough that I could place the links on top and the lowers could be on the centerline of the axle. the front was similar.

The front upper frame side mount had to be rotated 90 degrees from the way the poly per mount would have it installed. I decided to add that small link mount to accomplish that. that gave me some adjustability and some more vertical separation at the frame.

really if your using pre-made brackets there isnt alot you can do with the geometry.

that being said i trusted the guys in my jeep club whos shop i was doing the work with to lead me in the proper direction.

there is some adjustability in the rear uppers on the frame side if i felt the rear end was hopping around during hill climbs. and there was some adjustability in the front upper frame side until i choped off the lower corner of the mount for some added driveshaft clearance.

honestly, I did some research and came to the conclusion that I could use the calculator, but in the end the design would have to be fitted to the confines of the TJ frame/body.

I would like to put the numbers into the calculator, but the jeep does great offroad and i'm not one to fix a problem i dont have.

A Hokie build

Unread 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #342
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is there a reason that you didn't use a 4 link frame mount up front? Seems like that would have been nearly identical to what you ended up making.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #343
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lee,

i probably could have used something like the 4 link bracket. i didnt for a few reasons.

1. Cost, 4 link brackets are more expensive than 3 link

2. I already had the poly 3 link brackets and getting a single link mount was easier

3. geometry. I didint know where the axle side mount was going to end up on diff. with the mount i used i was able to adjust it to where i wanted it AND be straight. with a 4 link bracket the geometry is set and if the axle side mount needed to be moved it wouldnt be easy. plus i ended up having to cut the bottom corner of the mount off to give the driveshaft more clearance, that would have been more difficult with the 4 link mount.

4. Plan B. if my 3 mount didnt work as needed i could always fall back to the traditional 3 link mount with the joints rotated 90 degrees from eachother. not ideal, but it would work. it would wear the joints out faster though.

in the end i'm glad i did it the way i did. the small amount of fabrication time was well worth it.

A Hokie build

Unread 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #344
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

i tried to take a good picture of the 3 link mount. its plenty dirty under the jeep from this winter.
jeep-3-link-mount.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 03-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #345
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Getting some needed wheeling in this weekend. Just a single day up at RC with a couple guys from my local group.

A Hokie build

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.