A Hokies 04' TJ build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Hokies 04' TJ build

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #181
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie

ill pick it up in a few days when i get back from San Fran.
So the quick San Fran trip turned more into a jaunt across country with the in-laws.

cross-country.jpg

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #182
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

After two attempts at the shop the routing still isn't how I would have liked it 100%. It clears the upper link with my current set up. At least with the flex I can put into the jeep with 2wd and Going over speed humps at 35 mph.

I might change the routing over the axle down the line. But for now it works and I'm tired of complaining to the shop. Lesson learned… ill do it myself next time so I'm just going to cut my losses with that shop.

Not so great pictures unfortunately.
image-1827116960.jpg

image-1159512045.jpg

image-2831567035.jpg

image-1339493360.jpg

image-1424368522.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #183
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going to throw this out there for the distant future of this build. I got to thinking today where I wanted this jeep to end up. I'm thinking 37" tire wise, highlined on 4" coils. cutting the frame in front of the link mounts, then extending the frame to LJ length plus a few inches (~5") and hacking off the portion of frame that sticks out the back of the tub after i lengthen the tub to LJ length. Fuel cell in the floor of the tub.

So in essence I will end up with a LJ tub with stretched TJ departure angle.
Wheelbase approx= 105-108" on LJ tub

with front axle possibly pushed out some.

Ohh yeah, new orange paint job with black armor and LJ soft top for convenience.

Hey I can dream can't I…

A Hokie build

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #184
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to paint the exhaust? We put a new one on one of our vehicles and it rusted out after 2-3 years from the water and road salt because it was unpainted.
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #185
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12
Are you going to paint the exhaust? We put a new one on one of our vehicles and it rusted out after 2-3 years from the water and road salt because it was unpainted.
It's something I have considered.

A Hokie build

Unread 07-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #186
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Front 44 is headed to Dave at Oliver's custom driveshafts in NC to fix this little problem. Maybe I could just glue them back on. Looks like there may have been a defect in the gears manufacturing. Almost looks like a void in the center of the tooth that broke off.

image-2669012020.jpg

image-502763049.jpg

Going to have them replace the gears, inner axle seals, install my ball joints and remove the old superior tube seals (ill install the new ones later).

4th of July sales are tempting my wallet…

Helped a buddy strip his JK rubicon after he drove it into the Chesapeake bay by accident and totaled it. Swamped the engine and fried the electrical system.

image-46294687.jpg

image-3110534699.jpg

35's in the rear on 3.5" lift. Stock spring and tires up front. Digging into the rear tomorrow.

A Hokie build

Unread 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #187
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
Going to throw this out there for the distant future of this build. I got to thinking today where I wanted this jeep to end up. I'm thinking 37" tire wise, highlined on 4" coils. cutting the frame in front of the link mounts, then extending the frame to LJ length plus a few inches (~5") and hacking off the portion of frame that sticks out the back of the tub after i lengthen the tub to LJ length. Fuel cell in the floor of the tub.

So in essence I will end up with a LJ tub with stretched TJ departure angle.
Wheelbase approx= 105-108" on LJ tub

with front axle possibly pushed out some.

Ohh yeah, new orange paint job with black armor and LJ soft top for convenience.

Hey I can dream can't I…
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...j-6-a-1453994/
Have you checked out Clints thread ? He just finished a stretch that sounds like what you want to do .

And how in the heck did your buddy drive into the Chesapeake bay ? Is he going to try and put it back together ?
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #188
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...j-6-a-1453994/
Have you checked out Clints thread ? He just finished a stretch that sounds like what you want to do .

And how in the heck did your buddy drive into the Chesapeake bay ? Is he going to try and put it back together ?
I did see that thread. looks very slick... i'm quite a ways away from tackling something of that nature though.

the story i got was that he tried to turn around in front of a boat ramp and accidently went in up to middle of the grill. stopped the jeep, put it in 4WD and then continued to drive forward into the water. i'm guessing it was in 6th gear vs reverse...

we towed his Jeep back to a club members garage and then removed his lift, tires, tube steps, etc and replaced it with the stock stuff. man I would hate to be the guy who gets that jeep from the insurace auction. lets just say we werent too careful putting it back together...

A Hokie build

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #189
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

few small updates...

got the axle shipped off to Olivers Driveshafts in NC to have the new gears installed, ball joints replaced, and axle seals removed.

ordered the same axle side upper mount that i have in the rear from artec and a upper frame side link mount from poly like the one i mentioned earlier in the thread.
frame-side-upper-link.jpg

also took some measurements from both axles for driveshaft length.

i infered the D44 with 1310 measurement based on the d30 1310 yoke to snout measurement.

looks like I might have to shorten my front driveshaft. but as of now there is plenty of slip in the shaft that the DS collapses far enough. Ill have to take some detailed measurements when the axle is installed and cycled fully up and down to make sure there is no binding issues.

just need to order a track bar to complete the ordering phase of the front... then the install just like the rear. over a weekend.

last item yet to be determined is new springs and shocks. I would love to throw a set of 4" currie coils and Fox rr's on. but that will probably have to wait until the wallet recovers a bit... $800+tune for shocks and ~$300 for springs. I think in the meantime I will work on a cage/tire carrier/bumper/GTS.

A Hokie build

Unread 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #190
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Olivers is fairly close to me , but I thought they were mainly into driveshafts ? They have a great reputation , good to learn something new about them .
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #191
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Olivers is fairly close to me , but I thought they were mainly into driveshafts ? They have a great reputation , good to learn something new about them .
Last time i was out at Gore I rode with Dave (the owner) in his buggy and we got to talking; he mentioned they do all types of drivetrain work. $300 for a regear, beats the $500 the shops local to me want. Plus I get a quick weekend road trip out of it. Plan as of now is to go down to Asheville. Any recommendations?

His buggy is insane. It's in a few of my videos. LS powered, pushing 40 somethings, 4 speed atlas, ORI struts, 14 (13) bolt, double triangulated F&R. he has a 14 bolt he is modding for the front... had rear-steer at one point... thing has stupid amounts of power

EDIT: took some screen shots
daves-buggy-2.jpg

daves-buggy-1.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #192
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Last time i was out at Gore I rode with Dave (the owner) in his buggy and we got to talking; he mentioned they do all types of drivetrain work. $300 for a regear, beats the $500 the shops local to me want. Plus I get a quick weekend road trip out of it.
M&D Auto Machine in Purcellville, VA does regears for around $300. It's in Northern Virginia by Leesburg. They do great work, and the owner owns a ton of classic Willys. I had my ARB installed there.
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #193
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
M&D Auto Machine in Purcellville, VA does regears for around $300. It's in Northern Virginia by Leesburg. They do great work, and the owner owns a ton of classic Willys. I had my ARB installed there.
would have been a good option a few weeks ago... so is independent 4x4 just north of Richmond, but they are in the $500 range too.

Either way, i get a road trip out of it and get to surprise my wife by meeting a couple of her friends from college in asheville. She thinks we are going just to pick up the axle and stay in winston-salem. little does she know...

might also try to hit up a reclaimed lumber yard on the way. stock up on some wood for winter projects.

Not that I havent driven through enough states in the last month...

California
Nevada
Wyoming
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
=2100 Miles on rental car

Pennsylvania
West Virginia
Ohio
=900 Miles on Prius

next weekend
Virginia
North Carolina
=900 Miles on Jeep

not to mention a trip to VA beach in august and a trip to NJ in September.

A Hokie build

Unread 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #194
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not to mention a trip to VA beach in august and a trip to NJ in September.
Work trip or did our wives plan something?

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #195
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227

Work trip or did our wives plan something?
Bachelor party weekend for a friend getting married in September. I was going to let you know as the date gets closer, since I know your schedule is sometimes wacky.

A Hokie build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.