A Hokies 04' TJ build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Hokies 04' TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #136
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
Yeah something like that. All I know for certain is that it's more than I originally expected it to be.

Frame mounts
Axle mounts
Control arm joints/jam nuts/threaded inserts/DOM
Brake lines / calipers/ misc fittings
E-brake
Pump switches/electrical supplies/air line
Exhaust work
Paint
Fluids
Coil buckets

**** adds up fast.…

I got my axle with a truss/diff cover , 4.88s, chromoly shafts. Which saved me quite a bit of money in building the axle itself.

My thoughts on the custom arms…. If you can fabricate everything else for a 4 link. Then you can cut and weld some DOM for the arms. No sense in having some custom made when you can make them yourself.
I can't weld so anything that involves it will be done by someone I know and trust. The thing is, outboarding seems to be a rare concept outside of SoCal and Jeepforum.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #137
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

I can't weld so anything that involves it will be done by someone I know and trust. The thing is, outboarding seems to be a rare concept outside of SoCal and Jeepforum.
Same here in regards to the welding. None of my build would be possible without a lot of help from friends from my local 4x4 club.

Outboarding doesn't have to go hand and hand with 4 linking. I plan to keep my current OME 2.5 springs and shocks and see if I'm happy with the flex being limited by the shocks. Granted, I will probably outboard and get slightly longer springs eventually. Thinking 3.5 MC springs and shocks TBD.

Basically for now I just want to move in the right direction for my future needs.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #138
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same here in regards to the welding. None of my build would be possible without a lot of help from friends from my local 4x4 club.

Outboarding doesn't have to go hand and hand with 4 linking. I plan to keep my current OME 2.5 springs and shocks and see if I'm happy with the flex being limited by the shocks. Granted, I will probably outboard and get slightly longer springs eventually. Thinking 3.5 MC springs and shocks TBD.

Basically for now I just want to move in the right direction for my future needs.
It's be easier for me to outboard and 4 link at once. Get all the welding done.

Watch the compressed length on those MC coils. Since they're dual rate they have a really long compressed length.

-Jack
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #139
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the 35 removed within an hour of starting the 4 link

As of now the jeep has frame mounts fully welded and all axle mounts tacked on and just about ready to pull the axle back out to final weld, set up brake lines, paint, etc.
image-1265091669.jpg   image-1747459630.jpg   image-3539749160.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #140
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

subbed.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #141
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. That's the quick way to 4 link.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #142
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just a few shots from the day!
More tomorrow.
imageuploadedbyag-free1369447198.319930.jpgimageuploadedbyag-free1369447214.886886.jpg
imageuploadedbyag-free1369447053.784406.jpgimageuploadedbyag-free1369447078.719357.jpgimageuploadedbyag-free1369447137.803125.jpgimageuploadedbyag-free1369447168.236783.jpg

A Hokie build

Unread 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #143
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Holy cow ya'll arent messing around ! Is the goal to finish it this weekend ?
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #144
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Holy cow ya'll arent messing around ! Is the goal to finish it this weekend ?
That's the goal. Just the rear axle swap and 4 link though. The only thing that will need to be finished is the exhaust. Which I think I'm going to farm out to a local shop.

Still in the works is out boarding rear and front axle swap and 3 link. So I'm far from done! But it'll be drivable between the swaps.

A Hokie build

Unread 05-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #145
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You should fix the frame side coil buckets while you're in there.
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #146
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the axle finish welded, painted and put back in. Finished making the links. Brake lines made/routed/bled. Air line routed. Axle back together with new brakes flipped to he front, new e-brake cables with Blaine's wizard flip brackets. Pulled the front driveshaft (just in case, I forget about the 3.73's in the front). Swapped the yoke for a d30 yoke and pinion seal.

I'm one tired pup though.

Just need to check a few things tomorrow and I should be ready to roll out of the garage.
image-2359568492.jpg   image-156256557.jpg   image-2546611602.jpg   image-3613717746.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #147
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the jeep back down on the ground for a test drive at 10am. Flexed it out on the RTI ramp and found that the axle was a little far forward, so we pushed it back a tad and reset the pinion.
Drives nicely. I feel less road vibrations from the rear and it doesn't hop sideways. No binding anywhere and it flexes great.

I would post pictures but the JF App will not let me due to file size.

Now for an exhaust...

A Hokie build

Unread 05-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #148
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got the jeep back down on the ground for a test drive at 10am. Flexed it out on the RTI ramp and found that the axle was a little far forward, so we pushed it back a tad and reset the pinion.
Drives nicely. I feel less road vibrations from the rear and it doesn't hop sideways. No binding anywhere and it flexes great.

Now for an exhaust...
Poly frame brackets, BTF truss, and Duroflex joints correct?

I hope to do this soon and am happy to hear it rides great. Better than stock? Does it float over bumps now?

-Jack
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #149
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

At least we arent paying for the privilege to post pictures ?

Sounds like the Jeep is coming along , try photobucket to host the pictures . Its not bad to use , though the newest format isnt the most user friendly.
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #150
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
At least we arent paying for the privilege to post pictures ?

Sounds like the Jeep is coming along , try photobucket to host the pictures . Its not bad to use , though the newest format isnt the most user friendly.
I have a shutter fly account but their app will not show a URL address. I'll have to do it in the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

Poly frame brackets, BTF truss, and Duroflex joints correct?

I hope to do this soon and am happy to hear it rides great. Better than stock? Does it float over bumps now?
I'm not sure who's truss it is. I think the BTF one has three bolts, vs the 4 this one has. Might be an earlier design, but they look very similar.

I wouldn't say it floats over bumps, after all I didn't change the shocks or coils. New coils and springs are in the plans. But for now the budget would t allow it.
The ride is definitely better than before with 145k miles on original arms and track bar. But yes it does ride softer than before. Ill wait till the front is 3 linked before I give my final answer. But I have no doubts that I'm headed in the right direction for my build.

A Hokie build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.