A Hokies 04' TJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Hokies 04' TJ build

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A Hokies 04' TJ build

I'll try and keep a current picture on top here:

I never though my Jeep was worthy of a "build" thread, because most of what I have done to it until now has been bolt on. nothing really being built. but that changed with my latest round of changes.

let me catch everyone up to my current progress, ill try and compress 5 years of info into a few pictures.
the first Jeep i looked at was a YJ, couldnt stand the square headlights!

A few more months and i came across a bone stock 2004 TJ for $11k. lets just call it a present to myself, after-all i was driving a 98 Ford Taurus... after graduating in 2007 and getting my first real job, i picked the jeep up without knowing a thing about them or the off-road world.

First thing i did to it was go play a little,

doors off ASAP,

I was saving up to buy a house, so the jeep stayed stock for 2 years.

my first "mod" was a set of KC daylighters on the windshield.

Then we took a trip down to Ocracoke

Finally it was time for a lift; I decided on a 2.5" OME HD lift. I used the hobby shop on base.

drove it around for probably 6 months until the tires wore out and i could justify replacing them. went with 33" Goodyear Duratracs, which is a choice i would later come to regret.

Went down to a buddy's farm for a camping weekend. got a little flex on a tree we were cutting up for firewood.

Then i went on my first real wheeling trip to Rausch Creek in PA.

where i quickly found out that 2.5" of SL isnt quite enough to keep 33"s out of the fenders.

Then a few more goodies came along. Rokmen mercenary bumper and steering skid. as well as an antirock. discussed here

Next was my first built item. my 33" was sitting on my OEM tire carrier and I came up with this to help with the stress. Its slotted to accommodate tire wear. I welded nuts to the backside of the stock bumper to allow easy adjustments.

then I mounted my high lift to the rear roll bar. cheap and simple solution, muffler clamps.

And this is how she sat for a little while.

went wheeling a few times with that set up.

upgraded my steering to the V8 ZJ tie rod and new drag link.

then more wheeling trips

jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had a teapot whistle in the engine when it was cold out, so i decided to tackle that. ended up being a cracked intake manifold. replaced with a JY one out of a cherokee.

Wheeled it some more. with my new MT/R's. as I mentioned earlier, the Duratracs just werent up to the task. Goodyear bought the Duratracs back from me for 75% of my origional purchase price, which i had to put towards the new MTR's. still cost me a pretty penny, but the MTR's should hold up much better. Duratracs vs MTRs discussed here

Obviously there were some things that i missed; like the warn VR8000 and removing my side steps.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So that just about brings me to my current situation:

I'm working on a tummy tuck with crossmember and custom skids and putting an Aussie locker in the d30.

install to include. Novak cable shifter, AA SYE, tom woods driveshaft, ruffstuff crossmember mounting set, steel double adjustable rear upper control arms from Currie (thanks Lee), 4WD indicator switch, UCF engine skid mounting hardware, Aussie locker with new 5-760x U-joints and pinion seal, reworked my OME track bar bracket to work with the DC driveshaft.

Out with the old... good riddance

SYE in progress

Fabbing up the crossmember. went with a kit from ruffstuff for the bushings and some 2x2x1/4" box tubing. I chopped up the OEM trans mount and welded that to the 2x2.

In order to weld the bushings to the frame the fuel lines on the frame needed to be moved.

Skid stage one...

Engine skid in cardboard...

reworking the OME trackbar mount to work with the SYE and new DC driveshaft

rotating the pinion up required a little cutting on the coil buckets to clear the shocks.

Skid plate mocked up...

which brings me to today...

still need to order my Tom woods driveshaft, fab the engine skid, install the Aussie with new 5-760X u-joints and pinion seal.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
OhSethiO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks awesome bro, I saw you said you used the hobby shop on base, what branch? I'm Navy. Unfortunately they dont have the hobby shop open on base anymore, so I have to do everything in my garage... lol
OhSethiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good buddy. I can't wait to see everything finished up.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSethiO View Post
looks awesome bro, I saw you said you used the hobby shop on base, what branch? I'm Navy. Unfortunately they dont have the hobby shop open on base anymore, so I have to do everything in my garage... lol
i'm not in the military, but as a defense contractor I have access to the hobby shop on Pax River. I just have to pay more. Cost me $50 or $60 for use of the lift for the day and have access to whatever tools i didnt have myself.

thanks for your service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post
Looks good buddy. I can't wait to see everything finished up.
Yeah, it should be another week or so till everything is buttoned up.

Wheeling on the 13th, so i've got a deadline now.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How much body lift do you have? 1 or 1.5"?
Is the 2"x2" box steel flush with the bottom of the frame? Tough to tell from the pic of it. Or is the small amount of bend in the skid the difference...
Good work.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
How much body lift do you have? 1 or 1.5"?
Is the 2"x2" box steel flush with the bottom of the frame? Tough to tell from the pic of it.
Good work.
i have the 1.25" JKS BL.

and the 2x2 sits roughly 3/4" below the frame rails.

the 42RLE is the lowest point of the drivetrain. ill have to lower that part of the engine skid.
jeep-crossmember9.jpg   jeep-crossmember7.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Is the 2"x2" box steel flush with the bottom of the frame? Tough to tell from the pic of it. Or is the small amount of bend in the skid the difference...
Good work.

Curious about the same, I ordered materials (using dom not box) to do similar on mine just keep forgetting to go pick them up every morning. Will be starting on it this weekend.

I can't do a MML though so I need to be careful with how much I lift the trans.

Progress looks great
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
Curious about the same, I ordered materials (using dom not box) to do similar on mine just keep forgetting to go pick them up every morning. Will be starting on it this weekend.

I can't do a MML though so I need to be careful with how much I lift the trans.

Progress looks great
I was able to jack everything up and put a little dent into the firewall, then lower everything back down a little for clearance. probably not more than 1/4" between the top of the trans and the firewall.

thanks for the compliment. hope to get it finished up within the next week and a half. I dont get to work on it everyday, so its slow. but at least i can drive it b/c of the crossmember.

take a look at what HENDRIX did on his in "what did you do to your TJ today" post number 69748. he used DOM also.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
chris86vw
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post

take a look at what HENDRIX did on his in "what did you do to your TJ today" post number 69748. he used DOM also.

Thanks will do.
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tom woods driveshaft is on its way!

Went with the XB, 17"

A Hokie build

Unread 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One step closer to finishing this round of changes. Skids are done and painted.

Locker goes in Sunday.

image-1132338566.jpg

Had to take the track bar mount off again. So I thought I would post up a picture of the angle I set it to.
image-2444989285.jpg   image-896959753.jpg   image-1048329070.jpg   image-2118409597.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A bit of a before and after shot. No skids yet though.
image-1894373780.jpg   image-4169061214.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 07-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The skids turned out nice , in retrospect I should have made mine .

In some of the above pictures I recognize Oak Ridge , but where is the old shack ?

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.