Highschool YJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Highschool YJ build

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Highschool YJ build

i got my YJ last year as a sphomore. i've wanted a jeep since i was really little and now i have one! so i decided to start a "build". i wish i had some before and after pics of my progress so far but i was too excited to stop and take pics so i have a pic of how it sits now and i can point out what i've changed.

ok so the first thing i changed was the front bumper. (remember, every thing on it was stock when i bought it) got it from a junk yard down the road for $75 and im pretty happy with it for the price. Second, was the tires/rims. got rid of the wimpy stock 29" tires and steal rims and got 31" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains which i think look pretty sweet (still have the stock spare tire on the back). then i got the light bar WITH 4 Hella Rallye 1000 lights off of craigslist for $80 which was awesome! and i wanted to be able to drive it with the doors off so i got a pair of windshield mount brackets for my mirrors. you may notice that the front end is a different color than the back. thats because the PO was color blind and bought a whole new front end for it after he convinced the 17 year old who had it that it was totaled so i plan to get that painted the right color by the summer. and i also plan to get a 2" body lift over the summer.

i guess that i should also say that everything that i've gotten for it (minus the front bumper) has been thru craigslist. i even bought the jeep through craigslist! its amazing the kinds of deals u can get there.

any ideas or comments would be great! will post more pics as i modify it.

Unread 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
whee1s
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta love craigslist, thats where I found my jeep to. have fun building it up!
whee1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
DrGrand
2003 WJ 

Looks good man! I too am a High school jeeper haha. You got yourself a great platform to start with though
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Mikez
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Another high schooler sayen hi! Nice build have fun! Ill keep it checked out
Mikez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

found some old pics! i was lookin thru my pictures on my phone and found these of when i first got the Jeep. gives you a better idea of what's changed.

this is what it looked like in the very beginning. minus the spice colored soft uppers meant for a soft top the corners over lapped the hard top and just looked stupid.

when i got the new bumper

new tires. this picture kinda explains why i want a 2" lift.

this is when i got the hard top off for the first time

the very next day it rained

thru the use of a tarp, 10 bunjee cords, and inginuity i created this cover hahaha i know its ugly but it worked!
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

havent posted anything in a while. i went wheelin for the first time today and thot i'd put a pic up.

also you can see that i trimmed the back fender flares. im thinkin about takin them off.
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
loyola_wrangler
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep! What rims are you using??? They look so sick on your jeep!
loyola_wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like it so far. I started as a senior in high school so I know what it's like to be on a tight budget. Check out my thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/i...sarah-1225169/
image-1615713065.jpg  

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Ewad340
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, I got a 99 a few months ago after wanting one since I was 7 and am now 18 and I love it. Got it off craigslist for a steal.
Ewad340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyola_wrangler View Post
Nice jeep! What rims are you using??? They look so sick on your jeep!
sorry man. i have no clue what brand name they are or anything. saw em on craigslist and fell in love with them.
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
karlo

Sweet rig. A few inches of lift will make it more aggressive and capable.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok so i got some lift shackles today after school. only got them on the front today because of rain and the hitch in the way. one rusted bolt was givin me a hard time so i'll cut it off later to get to the back shackles. its only on 1" right now so its not much of a difference. but it has 2 more holes so i plan on going to the 3rd one once i get new/longer shocks. also found out that a bottle jack to put between the leaf springs and frame would have been really helpful i'll try to post pics tomorrow.
Unread 02-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strhodes
ok so i got some lift shackles today after school. only got them on the front today because of rain and the hitch in the way. one rusted bolt was givin me a hard time so i'll cut it off later to get to the back shackles. its only on 1" right now so its not much of a difference. but it has 2 more holes so i plan on going to the 3rd one once i get new/longer shocks. also found out that a bottle jack to put between the leaf springs and frame would have been really helpful i'll try to post pics tomorrow.
I wanna see more pics of this build. I'm interested in those shackles as well

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok so u can see the new shackles. their at the lowest setting right now which is about a 1 inch lift. not much of a difference so im gunna go down to the third hole. looks kinda goofy with it stickin down too. haha

and i was talkin to my friend today and he gave me a pretty cool idea for a future mod. he suggesting mounting fishin rod holders to the light bar. if anyone has done something similar or has any ideas about this, let me know.

also, i had the idea to possibly build a collapsable table to go on the inside of the tailgate that folds up into a filet table. just an idea. any comments would be great.
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

so the more i thought about it, mounting rod holders to the light bar sounded really stupid. so i started thinkin about mounting 4 on the front bumper.

gotta love the paint application to get ideas goin! haha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.