Highschool XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Highschool XJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Highschool XJ Build

Hey everyone, I'm new here so I'll start by introducing myself. I'm Trey and I'm 15, and I got my XJ about a month ago. I don't get my license until December, but I went ahead and bought the Jeep early so I can fix it. My goals for it are to fix it up to look good and run nice without spending too much money (High school budget making minimum wage, this will be interesting).

Some pics

First day with the XJ

Cleaned it

^Painting trim and grill. It had became faded from spending years out in the sun. I also took the sun reflectors and foot rails off.

Washed, waxed, and detailed

^SUBWOOFERS!!! These are two 15 inch L5 Kickers, putting out 1500 watts rms/pair. I ordered them off the internet, but they came in damaged, but I just had to take a picture of them sitting in the back before sending them back in for replacement. The subs are still halfway in the cardboard box...kinda wish I had taken the box out of the picture when I took it, but its too late for that, I've already sent them in for a new set.

Painted my underside

More pics later as I continue to add on to it!

TreyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
YJGrunt1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

nice XJ, im building up a YJ myself, and im a Junior in HS. i was going to get an XJ but i got a great deal on the YJ and it attracted me a lot more. i do however wish i went with an XJ, painted it either all flat black, or Flat Tan with black trim/accessories, lifted with large wheels etc etc. im loving the YJ though, and the stock color grew on me haha. good luck and ill be following your build!
YJGrunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice start man! Jeeps are great starter vehicles if treated right.. what plans do u have for it?

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
Nice start man! Jeeps are great starter vehicles if treated right.. what plans do u have for it?
thanks dude, any my plans are to just make it a fun driving machine and make it creative. I think it would be interesting to take a cheap jeep and make it into a nice respectable vehicle better than all the expensive cars that the rich spoiled kids at my school get.

I ordered amplifiers for my subs on Sunday, I got the business I bought my subs from to send me a new box since it came in damaged yesterday, and I'm going to paint my rims black this weekend.

I also want to put a couple inches of lift and bigger tires to it...I know I can't go to big because I don't have much money for it and it will hurt my MPG's, which would also cost more money, but I at least want to make it stand out. I wanted blacked out taillights, foglights, and window tint for the front windows. Also, I'm gonna get a touchscreen headunit and paint parts of the interior red.

thats really all i can think of now...i'm sure i'll think of other things to do along the way tho...
Unread 05-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyXJ View Post
thanks dude, any my plans are to just make it a fun driving machine and make it creative. I think it would be interesting to take a cheap jeep and make it into a nice respectable vehicle better than all the expensive cars that the rich spoiled kids at my school get.

I ordered amplifiers for my subs on Sunday, I got the business I bought my subs from to send me a new box since it came in damaged yesterday, and I'm going to paint my rims black this weekend.

I also want to put a couple inches of lift and bigger tires to it...I know I can't go to big because I don't have much money for it and it will hurt my MPG's, which would also cost more money, but I at least want to make it stand out. I wanted blacked out taillights, foglights, and window tint for the front windows. Also, I'm gonna get a touchscreen headunit and paint parts of the interior red.

thats really all i can think of now...i'm sure i'll think of other things to do along the way tho...
yeah you will always think of something else haha.. yeah about the lift. a lot of people get a 3.5" on 31s. Your mpgs wont drop a ton and it will give you a stand out look. Its what I have right now and love it.

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Same year, same model, same color, and you even live in virginia too. lol
looks good already bud! im in highschool on a 8.50 an hour budget and in the process of building my jeep.
glad to see another person isnt getting things handed to them. it always feels better when you earn it.
im gonna be following this one, i wish you the best of luck!
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My new box came in for my subs today. As I said earlier, when my subs came in the box they came in had a big crack in it, but I transferred them into a new working box. I'll post a picture or two of the subs tomorrow. Also, my wires and cables came in, so now all I'm waiting for is my two amps and then I can get everything hooked up.
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Tyj99xj
1990 MJ Comanche 

Sub'd!
I'm also 16, in High School, and I drive a '99 XJ
I'm planning 3" RC Lift with 31's, can't wait to see what you do with yours!

'90 MJ Eliminator - stock for now, and under the knife.
Tyj99xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
reznik572
2011 JK Wrangler 

TreyXJ / Kitchen - It's great you guys are working and funding your own Jeeps. Young guys that get things handed to them just don't turn out the same. I grew up, went to school with, and work with a lot of them, and well the fact we can point em out says enough about the character it makes.
reznik572 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Tyj99xj
1990 MJ Comanche 

'90 MJ Eliminator - stock for now, and under the knife.
Tyj99xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^The original box that my subs came in had a crack in it so the guys from HiFi sent me a new one. No damage to it and it came in very quickly and I didn't have to pay a thing for it I got my subs switched out from the old box to the new box.

^My amplifiers! They are Crunch Powerone P1 2000.1 's. RMS rating is 1000 Watts by one channel at one OHM. I'm going to run each subwoofer in parallel to a final impedance of 1 OHM, and their RMS is 750 watts so 1000 watts each is a little bit overpowered but overpowering actually works pretty good.

^I have my subwoofers working and running. The first thing I had to do was rewire the the speaker wire inside the box. The company I bought from had each subs wired to four ohms but I changed up the wiring and turned it down to one ohm each, and they are both powered by their own separate amp pushing 1000 watts at 1 ohm.

^Then I took out both front seats and started removing the little door panel things so I could run my wires. Each amp gets a 4 gauge wire, and are daisy-chained to a single RCA cable. Remote turn on wires are spliced together at the amps, and they each get their own bass control remote that will be located beside the seat.

^Amps wired up pushing the subs! Everything works good so now its time to get to hiding wires! I already have the RCA and bass remote wires hid through the door panels, and I am waiting until I get a whole drilled to fit my power wires to hide the power and remote turn on wires.
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

^The original box that my subs came in had a crack in it so the guys from HiFi sent me a new one. No damage to it and it came in very quickly and I didn't have to pay a thing for it I got my subs switched out from the old box to the new box.

^My amplifiers! They are Crunch Powerone P1 2000.1 's. RMS rating is 1000 Watts by one channel at one OHM. I'm going to run each subwoofer in parallel to a final impedance of 1 OHM, and their RMS is 750 watts so 1000 watts each is a little bit overpowered but overpowering actually works pretty good.

^I have my subwoofers working and running. The first thing I had to do was rewire the the speaker wire inside the box. The company I bought from had each subs wired to four ohms but I changed up the wiring and turned it down to one ohm each, and they are both powered by their own separate amp pushing 1000 watts at 1 ohm.

^Then I took out both front seats and started removing the little door panel things so I could run my wires. Each amp gets a 4 gauge wire, and are daisy-chained to a single RCA cable. Remote turn on wires are spliced together at the amps, and they each get their own bass control remote that will be located beside the seat.

^Amps wired up pushing the subs! Everything works good so now its time to get to hiding wires! I already have the RCA and bass remote wires hid through the door panels, and I am waiting until I get a whole drilled to fit my power wires to hide the power and remote turn on wires.
definitely not something i will be doing to my xj any time soon, but to each their own.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I hope you are going to upgrade the charging system if those amps really put out 1k rms each.

What are you going to do about your door speakers?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
TreyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I hope you are going to upgrade the charging system if those amps really put out 1k rms each.

What are you going to do about your door speakers?
I want to do a big three upgrade and add a aux battery in the back. And for the speakers I will probably end up replacing all of them and a 4 channel amp.
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I want to do a big three upgrade and add a aux battery in the back. And for the speakers I will probably end up replacing all of them and a 4 channel amp.
When I had my other XJ I had 440 rms to the front components and it was having trouble keeping up with 1500rms to my 2 15s. I have since stepped way down to just a single 12, the 15s were too loud.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.