Highline project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Highline project

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
abeckert
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Highline project

I decided I wanted to do a highline on my new(to me) jeep. I was originally going to do a highline with the stock fenders, but I've wanted tube fenders so I decided to go ahead and do both at the same time. I had the jeep torn apart fixing the exhaust so it seemed like as good a time as any to start. I had pulled the fender off to get better access to the manifold so I was already one step ahead.

Passenger side off

I ordered tubes from Jeeptubes.com. They are very nice pieces. Well bent and accurate. They were well packaged and arrived in perfect condition. They require a little work to fit well, but I paid a fraction of what highlines cost built and I wanted to get more fab experience.

I ordered front tubes and flares as well as rear flares.

Next it was time to actually cut the hood. I taped along the body line and cut just below it. I figure I can always cut a little more off, but I think I might leave the line as it is. I saw a thread on jeepforum where someone had rewelded the lower lip back on for rigidity so I may try that down the line.

Point of no return

Next I started on some brackets to attach the tubes. I used some angle iron and flat stock.

I sliced and re-welded the top of the angle so it matches the body line a little better

Drivers side tube tacked into place. I may have to do a little adjusting, but I think its in a pretty good spot.

Head on shot

The hood is sitting a little high, it pulls down pretty lcose to the top of the tube so I'm not woried about that gap right now. The latches should keep it close.

So far Im pretty happy with the progress considering I've not done anything this in depth before.
More to come.

abeckert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Are you going to be able to fit the latches on the side of the hood? are you going to use the stock inner fenders or fab some up?
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
mcjeepin1996
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool. Always wondered how people did them themselves.
mcjeepin1996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The rewelded lip thread is from Hendrix http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ro...style-1012297/
It really sets his high line apart from many others . Nice work so far , still have a lot of fitting and welding to go !
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
abeckert
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshots1 View Post
Looks good. Are you going to be able to fit the latches on the side of the hood? are you going to use the stock inner fenders or fab some up?
I've seen a couple people reuse the stock latches, but I may end up using some hood pins anyway. I'll have to wait and see if it works out.

As for the inner fender, I'd like to reuse the stock fender to keep costs down. I had thought about using some marine aluminum too cus I think that would look cool on the underside.

It'll be a fairly slow process as I'm learning along with this, but I'm having a good time doing it.
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
abeckert
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got a little more done today.
I got both main tubes welded and the down tubes in. next i'll be plating the top and sides, then I'll get started on the flare.

Unread 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
abeckert
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its been a long time since i started this project and a lot of time since I posted any progress. Time and funds dictated when I could work on this but, ive finally got most of this done.

I decided to go with hood pins rather than the stock latches

I wanted to use round JK turn signals for a CJ look, but in the interest of saving money I decided to reuse the stock rectangle lamps. I actually kind of like the look so it worked out.

I still have to figure out what I'm going to do for inner fenders. When I tried working with the stock inners before, it didn't really seem to work. I may look at something like GenRights inner fender kit, Ive also thought about getting some aluminium and make a couple panels that way.

Now I just need to get some bigger meats toput under there. That probably wont happen til tax time though...
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
CarolinaCrawler
2002 WJ 

Redbull gives you wings!!
Eagle Scout Jeeper #1
2000 TJ 2.5in RC X-Flex lift, Fast back top, 8.8, 1inBL, 265's on ProComp 7031s - Sold :(
2002 WJ Limited all stock for now - Current
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1587300482
CarolinaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dang why so big on the flares?
Unread 12-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
sixgunmatt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

'97 TJ Sport 4.0L, D30/D44 4.88 Gears, RE Extreme Duty 5.5" LA with Rear Tri Link truss, 35x12.50/R15 MT Baja MTZs, 15x8 Pro Comps, RE Anti-Sway Bar Quick Disconnects, RE Monotube Shocks, AA SYE, Tom Wood's CV DS, Magnaflow Exhaust, Spectre Performance Intake through Cowl, etc...
sixgunmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
abeckert
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They do look big now, but next to the jeep are full size axles. Once they are in and bigger tires are on it should look ok.
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dang.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... are those like 18" flares???
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those flares......
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
lamar_j77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, you are never going to get decent gas mileage out of it now.....
lamar_j77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.