High school Jeep Lj build! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > High school Jeep Lj build!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 07-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #46
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It's been a while since I've updated here, but today we drove up to 4 wheel parts to talk prices on gears. The man there recommends 4.11s and a max of 4.56s, and 4.88s are stupid low. I have stock gears now (3.73), and the 42rle, and I'm reading online I need at least 4.88s? I trust the people on this forum 100x more than some guy who looks at a chart for gears. Yes or no on 4.88s soon?

FunkyJeepz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #47
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJeepz View Post
It's been a while since I've updated here, but today we drove up to 4 wheel parts to talk prices on gears. The man there recommends 4.11s and a max of 4.56s, and 4.88s are stupid low. I have stock gears now (3.73), and the 42rle, and I'm reading online I need at least 4.88s? I trust the people on this forum 100x more than some guy who looks at a chart for gears. Yes or no on 4.88s soon?
I am getting ready to regear and go to 35s . With all I have read on here everything points to 4.88s and maybe even 5.13s . I have 4.10s with 33s in my LJ and they are awful going up hills .
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #48
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Alright, I talked to my cousin who is a mechanic who's building a Cherokee that's gonna have 4.56s with 33s on a 5 speed. He's gonna see how it runs with them and either decide for .56s or .88s for me. We're going to install my gears and he's gonna teach me as I'm helping. I'm stoked! He says 4.56s for our jeep but I think 4.88s for our driving style and I hope to get 35s later.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #49
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The 42rle needs the 4.88s at least because of its deep overdrive. 5.13 would be even better but you cant go lower than 4.88 in a d30. Btw, dont regear a lp30, do a hp30 swap at the same time as the regear.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #50
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid
The 42rle needs the 4.88s at least because of its deep overdrive. 5.13 would be even better but you cant go lower than 4.88 in a d30. Btw, dont regear a lp30, do a hp30 swap at the same time as the regear.
Yea I was telling my dad about the hpd30. I don't know what gears you have, but how is your overall power and mpg in city and highway? I can't afford bad mpg lol. Also I find it funny the guy at 4 wheel parts recommends 4.10s for 33s by his little chart.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also I find it funny the guy at 4 wheel parts recommends 4.10s for 33s by his little chart.
He is just reading the chart , probably not that familiar with what you even have .
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #52
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea I was telling my dad about the hpd30. I don't know what gears you have, but how is your overall power and mpg in city and highway? I can't afford bad mpg lol. Also I find it funny the guy at 4 wheel parts recommends 4.10s for 33s by his little chart.
I'm just about the worst person you could have asked that question. I don't daily drive mine enough to test the gas mileage, and even if I did, it wouldn't mean much to you because I have a manual, not an auto.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #53
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley

He is just reading the chart , probably not that familiar with what you even have .
I know! A total price of $1550 to do gears that won't help at all? It would be a 1100 just in labor. I wonder how many people this has happened to.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #54
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid

I'm just about the worst person you could have asked that question. I don't daily drive mine enough to test the gas mileage, and even if I did, it wouldn't mean much to you because I have a manual, not an auto.
Oops. Lol
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #55
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJeepz

Oops. Lol
Oh that's right, your dad or someone left it in gear and you started it and got ran over by it.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #56
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know! A total price of $1550 to do gears that won't help at all? It would be a 1100 just in labor. I wonder how many people this has happened to.
I have been getting quotes from $1000 to $1200 and that includes the master bearing set , seals , lube , and labor . The shop I am leaning towards has offered to set up USA made JK aka Jana gears in my LJ housings and swapping a front Rubi locker that I am supplying into the rear.
4.10s work ok on flat land with 33s , but theres no way I would go from 3.73s to 4.10s . Once I hit the bigger hills with the 4.10 its 5th gear for sure and 4th out in the Rockies .
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #57
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley

I have been getting quotes from $1000 to $1200 and that includes the master bearing set , seals , lube , and labor . The shop I am leaning towards has offered to set up USA made JK aka Jana gears in my LJ housings and swapping a front Rubi locker that I am supplying into the rear.
4.10s work ok on flat land with 33s , but theres no way I would go from 3.73s to 4.10s . Once I hit the bigger hills with the 4.10 its 5th gear for sure and 4th out in the Rockies .
Yea od is completely useless for me unless its 60+ on flat ground pushing 1300 rpms. We had od off today and 3rd gear was pulling 65 at 2500 rpm. Didn't struggle at all over hills.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #58
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Happy to see you're back to looking at the Jeep... I guess you're finally out of the cast. Hope to see some progress soon.

Of course, my build is going pretty slow too, so I shouldn't throw stones.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #59
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave
Happy to see you're back to looking at the Jeep... I guess you're finally out of the cast. Hope to see some progress soon.

Of course, my build is going pretty slow too, so I shouldn't throw stones.
Thanks. Actually, I have to wear a splint till next week, so it's a total of 9 weeks. I got bad tan lines haha.
And yes, I turn 16 at the end of this month and then I can get my license. I'm just wondering what I want to buy first...
after I get a job lol.
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #60
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. Actually, I have to wear a splint till next week, so it's a total of 9 weeks. I got bad tan lines haha.
And yes, I turn 16 at the end of this month and then I can get my license. I'm just wondering what I want to buy first...
after I get a job lol.
Hahaha... well avoid my plan if you can. I have more engine parts, 1 ton front and rear, 2 transfer cases, 1 transmission and a big box of shop tools inbound; and I ain't built nuthin yet!

Seriously tho, if you need a hand, (since yer still down to 1) shoot a PM. I'm not that far from Orlando.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.