High school Jeep Lj build! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > High school Jeep Lj build!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You're off to a great start, that thing looks fantastic. Just my 2 cents worth, but 4.88's might wind that thing a bit tight on 33's, of course not so much on 35's. I used to run 35's on an old Blazer years ago, and wound up running 4.56's. That brought it back to about stock feeling. I was very happy with the '56's, but probably could have run 4.88's if I didn't plan on too much interstate time.

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Oh, and give a shout if you get over towards the West Coast...

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #17
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave View Post
You're off to a great start, that thing looks fantastic. Just my 2 cents worth, but 4.88's might wind that thing a bit tight on 33's, of course not so much on 35's. I used to run 35's on an old Blazer years ago, and wound up running 4.56's. That brought it back to about stock feeling. I was very happy with the '56's, but probably could have run 4.88's if I didn't plan on too much interstate time.

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Oh, and give a shout if you get over towards the West Coast...
It's much different with the deeeep overdrive of the 42rle. 4.88 is great for 33s and the absolute minimum for 35s. 5.13 is a better ratio for 35s, but you cant gear a d30 that low.

Funky, go ahead and grab a hp30 to do the 4.88 gear swap on. They cost about $100-150 usually. Everything, such as shafts, hubs, etc switches over from your current axle and you have a much stronger gear set.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you both for advice. The jeep will mostly be used to drive to and from school, mostly stop and go, and occasional highway. If I got a better front axle in the future, would it be worth getting 5:13s for when 35s come on stop and go? Or keep 4:88s and beef up the axle?
FunkyJeepz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to think of a theme or name I want to do for my birthday in a few months. I'm gonna go all out with black and red, and I'm thinking of names, here's what I've got so far:
Dirt devil, firecracker, sunburned, crawling crabs lol, funk pile....
Can you guys think of anything funny?
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Don't try to push a name on it. One will come in due time.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
Don't try to push a name on it. One will come in due time.
Yeah I know what your saying, but I'm thinking "funk pile" because its my last name lol
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #22
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

image-314207822.jpg

Trying to decide if I want to put this on the front of the jeep or somewhere in the cab. I love it too much to risk it fade in the sun
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

image-4094204080.jpg

Well everyone, I so happened to break my arm mountain biking and I'm stuck in this cast for 5 weeks. Don't expect much worthy of a build in that time, maybe.... other than that, y'all like my drawling?
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice looking XJ. I got mine when I was fifteen as well. It needed quite a bit of suspension work because mine sat in California from 2009-2012 in the same spot. Lots of parts were seized on her. Had her shipped 3300 Miles to me over here on the East Coast though. Really looking forward to see you update your thread more. BTW, very cool looking JEEP!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-xj-se-1513890/
TABonifacio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABonifacio
Very nice looking XJ. I got mine when I was fifteen as well. It needed quite a bit of suspension work because mine sat in California from 2009-2012 in the same spot. Lots of parts were seized on her. Had her shipped 3300 Miles to me over here on the East Coast though. Really looking forward to see you update your thread more. BTW, very cool looking JEEP!
Haha you mean LJ? But anyway thanks for the compliment. I'm exited to put money into it, and seeing the progression as time passes. Once I turn 16 in about 2 months this thread will start to get moving and this thread won't be as boring lol.
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hi again... Funk Pile isn't bad, considering the name reference, but like dayriesw said, at some point while you are working/driving/wheeling it, there will be a name that comes too you. Always has for my vehicles. Some times it takes a while though.

Bummer about the arm, but the drawing is killer!

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #27
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave
Hi again... Funk Pile isn't bad, considering the name reference, but like dayriesw said, at some point while you are working/driving/wheeling it, there will be a name that comes too you. Always has for my vehicles. Some times it takes a while though.

Bummer about the arm, but the drawing is killer!
Thank you again, and everyone compliments the drawing also, and i got 5 weeks to enjoy it too!
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on going 37's, you better be prepared to add a whole lot to that shopping list. If you plan to run 35's, you should probably go for a 3" lift if you insist on the Metalcloaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #29
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
If you plan on going 37's, you better be prepared to add a whole lot to that shopping list. If you plan to run 35's, you should probably go for a 3" lift if you insist on the Metalcloaks.
I completely agree with both recommendations. The ljs to me look great with 37s, and yes I know 37s open a whole new can of worms (axles, driveshafts, big suspension, ...). 37s come when I get a good job lol. I personally like a big wheel well that would come with 4" lift, metalcloaks, and 35s. The LJ looks to long to me without a good size lift. Any advice/ recommendations are wanted and thanked.
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

image-2223537347.jpg

I just got this back from the photoshop thread and I want opinions on it please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.